howdy there

great guitar for the price (i got mine at $160), but the pickups definitely need to go

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for replacements? will be playing mostly metal, and in d tuning (so, think a mastodon sound haha)

FYI, i've been looking at a seymound duncan 59/ jb set
59/JB is a pretty standard set. Some people like the Custom Custom in the bridge as well.

What amp are you running?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
At least one of the guitarists in Mastodon uses a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge. So there's that.

What amp are you running into?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
a vox vt50, so i'm quite versatile in terms of what sounds i can achieve
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a pickup upgrade for a modelling amp. There won't be too much distinction between the two in all honestly.

I would save your money for now.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Pick-ups would help on a JS series.

They aren't horrible but not on the SD level. Even through his modeler he could probably hear the difference. It just wont be a ton.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
"They aren't horrible but not on the SD level."

sorry, but what do you mean by that?
Last edited by radu123 at Jun 2, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
Pick-ups would help on a JS series.

They aren't horrible but not on the SD level. Even through his modeler he could probably hear the difference. It just wont be a ton.

I dunno. To me it seems like if he's not happy with the sound, it might be his amp. VT's weren't really renowned for their metal tones.

Quote by radu123
"They aren't horrible but not on the SD level."

sorry, but what do you mean by that?

He means that the stock pickups in the JS are no where near as good as SD's.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
na, i'm definitely happy with the amp, can get some really nice sounds with an epi les paul

if i use a boost pedal and certain channels the jackson sounds decent, but you can tell it's quite clearly an inferior guitar compared to a few of my others

so, beside the SDs, any other pups people like or recommend? thoughts on the full shreds or customs SH-5 and TB-5?
Last edited by radu123 at Jun 2, 2013,
Dimarzio Crunchlab + LiquiFire
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
As some that owns a JS guitar, I would save the money for a better guitar or better amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
As some that owns a JS guitar, I would save the money for a better guitar or better amp.

If the guitar feels good to play why not upgrade it? TS is happy with his guitar, maybe he got a good one. Pup change is always reversable too, so when he buys a better guitar he can always take the new pup from the old guitar and put the original back in.

I think Seymour Duncan Distortion SD-6 is a safe choice for metal pickup.
Watch this vid. Youtube vids may not give you the right idea about quality but it will atleast let you hear pickups EQ differences when they are compared on same amp with same settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 2, 2013,
haha thanks, i was just watching that

funnily enough i thinked i enjoyed the JBs the most - they had a distinct quality to them, without going into gimmicky or strange compressed / fuzzy territory (ie the alternatives)
jb wouldn't be my first choice for metal, i'd rather have a distortion or custom or custom 5

59 is good in the neck. maybe a jazz if you play more distorted leads, it's slightly smoother (but there's not much in it, both will work and work well).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want a mastodon type tone, the JB will work great. I have a JB in my G-400 and we do some Mastodon type songs and it sounds great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darkwolf291
I love the pickups in my JS32RR.
I'd never change them.

I had a JS- I fact it's the one I sent you- pickups were better than I expected. However he can get ones more suited to his style.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.