Poll: Hall of fame or cathedral
Poll Options
View poll results: Hall of fame or cathedral
Cathedral
4 36%
Hall of fame
7 64%
Voters: 11.
I'm considering getting one of these reverb effects but I would like help choosing. i want to be able to play ambient music and have options for a range of sounds. How limiting is each device and can the hall of fame make effects as extreme as the cathedral? thanks in advance. this was created with digital effects would either device be able to recreate this? https://soundcloud.com/conor-bevel-daly/cave
Last edited by YersenPestis at Jun 2, 2013,
I'd go for a Hardwire Supernatural instead (link). Personally, i like it better than the two you mentioned.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I can't recommend the Hall of Fame enough. I don't know if it was a Cathedral I compared it to, but it was a reverb from EHX. I get confused about their product names since there are so many big/little brother pedals going on with similar names.

Anyway, the HOF has a very high degree of versatility. The spring reverb model on it sounds better than the REAL spring reverb on my 6505+ combo, lol.

I mostly use it on the rare occasion that I'm playing cleans and go for a very ambient, spacey sound like you seem to want. Both the "Church" mode and one of the toneprints I downloaded are very good for that. The Church mode is just a huge, cavernous reverb with I believe up to 25 seconds of trailoff (you mute the note/chord and it takes 20 seconds for it to finally fade away). The toneprint I downloaded takes it a step further and adds a slight chorusy shimmer to the trailoff -- sounds beautiful and haunting.

One thing to keep in mind is that TC is always adding toneprints to their site, so you can always get new sounds for it. Also, they recently unveiled toneprint software so you can actually go in and design/tweak your own toneprint!
In my opinion if you have the money for it, the Cathedral is worth it. The HOF isn't a bad pedal by any means though.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
why did you have to bring a new pedal into the equation Linkerman now I'll never choose! I was originally looking at that other hardwire reverb as well but i ruled it out because it looked worse than the hof. that said though the supernatural looks rad!
Speaking from my experience, i'd go for the TC Hall of Fame.

I have one and love it, the reverbs sound really authentic, and you can uncover some really cool sounds with the toneprints (and the new editor software, that i haven't delved too deep into). Very easy to find a good sound quickly too, easy to dial in.

The other guitarist in my band has the Cathedral, and i find it less real sounding than the TC, but i love the ability to do 'infinite' reverb, and used it on a few of our songs to create an ambient background noise.

Altogether the TC is more transparent i find when dialed back, but can still get pretty in your face. I obviously haven't spent as much time playing with the cathedral though, so i may be biased.

Also, i've never tried the hardwire supernatural, but from the PGS demos of it, it does look pretty sweet.
Quote by YersenPestis
why did you have to bring a new pedal into the equation Linkerman now I'll never choose!

Haha okay then, sorry about that.

Because i've tried a bunch of different reverbs a while ago for post-rock, shoegaze and ambient stuff, and the one that stood out was definitely the Hardwire Supernatural.
Both the TC HoF and the EHX Cathedral are great (especially the HoF), but the Supernatural is better than both, IMHO.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112