Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at buying a DSL401 and would like some recommendations for an upgrade on the speaker and which brand of tube to buy.

I have looked at JJ tubes, then saw someone recommend Gold Lion tubes instead but then someone else said the Gold Lion tubes wouldn't fit properly in the DSL401.

On the speaker side of things can I buy a brand new speaker or would I be best trying to source an old speaker?

Any advice would be great.
JJ tubes are pretty good bang for the buck, as for speakers, thats up to youkeeping in mind new speakers are around 75-90USD.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I'll get the JJ tubes then if they're good value for money. I've heard a lot of people put Vintage 30 speakers in the DSL. Is this a good upgrade? Or is there another option.
JJ tubes are fine

I do like the new Mullard 12ax7 in my JCM2000 DSL100.

I like Eminence V12 speakers with my DSL
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 2, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
JJ tubes are fine

I do like the new Mullard 12ax7 in my JCM2000 DSL100.

I like Eminence V12 speakers with my DSL

got a sound sample handy? THat's actually something I'd be interested in hearing myself.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
got a sound sample handy? THat's actually something I'd be interested in hearing myself.

Unfortunately I own no recording interfaces or I'd post a few clips

That's why I have been wanting a Zoom Q3/Q2 it will do it all fairly decent for cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've found a site which stocks JJ, Tung Sol and EH tubes.

Are the JJ tubes still a good choice with these other options available?
will you buy the new DSL401 or the JCM2000, as there are some differences.

I played a borrowed JCM2000 DSL100 a long time, it was heavily modded though
(Tubes, Transformers, etc.).
With an od i got the exact sound i wanted...

Now i own the new DSL100 and the only thing i changed, was the tubes.
I put the JJ ECC803 in the preamp, and E34L in the poweramp.
both costed 10€ each on eurotubes, being cheaper than the others,
and imo the best sounding ones.
The JJ ECC803 is basically the same as the normal JJ ECC83/12AX7, but has a wider and warmer frequency range, sound slightly darker though. The JJ E34L is basicly a more powerful
sounding EL34, the main difference in sound is that the E34L is keeping more Bottom on
higher volume levels. This set brings more Bottom, and a nicer bottom response,
The sound is overall fuller, the mids and treble are the same as on the standard JJ tubes.
Thats my personal experiance.

Tung sols also have a good bottom response, without sounding too dark.

i dont know about Electro harmonix, i heard people pulling sovteks out of the box,
and Sovteks imo sound just dark and lifeless.

I have no experiance with Gold Lions, but i know Marshall used them on the Vintage Reissues,
or the 40th annivrsry JTM45/100 stating they sound awesome, but don´t last very long.

I thought about buying tung sol´s over jj 12AX7´s but the freaquency range of the JJ ECC803 made the dicision for me.

I found the ECC803, E34L Combo to do the job in my Marshalls, nice tops, great mids
juicy bottom.
AND AGAIN, MY OPINION!!!
but the differences get smaller with the volume, TURN IT UP TO THE MAX.

Speaker wise: you have to feel the differences!!! the only speaker for me is the Vintage 30.
but one man´s meat, is another mans poison!!! go into the store and play 'em, because
as opposed to tubes, the difference is huge.
Last edited by theScapegoat at Jun 2, 2013,
I asked a friend and he told me the electro harmonix 12AX7 in V1 and V2 position would pair
perfect with JJ12AX7 in V3 and V4 position.

although i think the ECC803s are perfect, im going to check that out!
Quote by theScapegoat
I asked a friend and he told me the electro harmonix 12AX7 in V1 and V2 position would pair
perfect with JJ12AX7 in V3 and V4 position.

although i think the ECC803s are perfect, im going to check that out!

With new tubes one of my favorite combos is new Mullard 12ax7 in V1/V4 and JJ ecc83 in V2/V3 in my DSL100.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by theScapegoat
will you buy the new DSL401 or the JCM2000, as there are some differences.

I'm looking at a JCM2000 DSL401.

So different pairs of ECC83 would be good?

On a different note, my Blackstar HT-1 has 1 x ECC2 and 1 x ECC83 tubes and it has a nice clean channel but the gain/ distortion is a bit pants. Is this cause of the tubes it has?

Does anyone have any clips of their amps with different tubes or speakers?
Last edited by Viowithcrailtap at Jun 2, 2013,
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

On a different note, my Blackstar HT-1 has 1 x ECC2 and 1 x ECC83 tubes and it has a nice clean channel but the gain/ distortion is a bit pants. Is this cause of the tubes it has?

you can try a different 12ax7, but in my experience Blackstars are pretty meh
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not gonna try a different tube in the HT-1. I'm thinking of selling it.

So are 12AX7 and ECC83 the same type of tube?
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
I'm not gonna try a different tube in the HT-1. I'm thinking of selling it.

So are 12AX7 and ECC83 the same type of tube?

Yep, 12ax7 in the USA and ECC83 in europe
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Anyone here had any experience with Scumback or Weber speakers?

Are Alnico speakers the best to use?
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
Anyone here had any experience with Scumback or Weber speakers?

Scumback are good speakers but are expensive.

take a look at WGS they are ex-eminence workers. You might like their reaper models (celestion g12h30 clones), ET-65 (celestion 12-65), Veteran 30 (greenback). great speakers and most are $80ish

The Eminence Legend GB128 is a greenback clone that is compared a lot to the scumback M75
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So does everyone use Celestions because they're good bang for buck?

The celestions are around £80 for either a Greenback or Vintage 30.

If the Scumbacks are a lot more expensive then I could probably justify one if I got hold of JCM800 4010 and decided to replace the internals on that but on a DSL401 I may go with a Celestion to keep the costs realistic.
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

If the Scumbacks are a lot more expensive then I could probably justify one if I got hold of JCM800 4010 and decided to replace the internals on that but on a DSL401 I may go with a Celestion to keep the costs realistic.

you don't make a wrong choice with a celestion, if you likem them, but you
should know what you want or need. you can see the differences in celestions
datasheets.

many guys like the GH12-75, for its distinctive hi-mid roar and "huge" bottom.

the Greenback is a very warm and bluesy speaker, nice for clean stuff,
nice feature, they can only take 25 watts, so they can easily be driven to speaker
break-up.

The Vintage 30. Pure british heavy Metal. often people say they scoop the mids,
but thats total bs. it actually has more low mids. it has a huge growl, it is damn loud and great for a Marshall, if you want to play metal.

The facts: G12T-75: Frequency range: 80-5000 Hz
Resonance frequency: 85 Hz
Sensivity: 97 dB

G12M Greenback: Frequency range: 75-5000 Hz
Resonance frequency: 75 Hz
Sensivity: 98 dB

Vintage 30: Frequency range: 70-5000 Hz
Sensivity: 100 dB.

My expiriance comparing them in the shop: The G12T-75 feels loud, gives the typical
Marshall roar, tight bottom, great for rock or punk stuff.

The Greenback has a measured sensivity of 98 dB so it should be louder than the
G12T-75, but it has less mids so it feels a little quieter. The sound is very creamy,
warm and "woody"(: cant desribe it.), it has a very round bottom.
Great for blues but on higher gain settings it tends to sound muddy and too loose

The Vintage 30 is the Metal speaker imo. It has the most bottom end without loosing
clarity and has also the highest amound of mids. it is rated with a sensivity of
100 dB, so it should be twice as loud as the G12T and it is!!!
last year when i bought my DSL100, measured it through my 1960 V30 cab,
it rated 126.3 dB. thats damn loud.

they all use ceramic magnets, it doesn't matter if a speaker has neodym, alnico, or
ceramic magnets. thats just a marketing strategy and a rumor floating around.
they would sound the same, the difference is the Price and weight thats it.

if you want a celestion, go for a G12T for Rock, Greenback for jazz, blues and clean
stuff or the Vintage 30 for the heavy stuff.
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

Blackstars use a ECC82 as a phase inverter tube in the poweramp,
the difference to the normal Ecc83 is: it has less gain, the Ecc83 type usually
has a higher amplification level, usually a minimum of around 70 and a max of 95.
the ecc82 has usually a level of 17, thats the gain/distortion level. but, the plate wattage is different the JJ ECC83 produces a plate wattage of 1.2 watts per
system/side, the ECC82 Is actually a PI tube. it produces, in the case of JJ's
2 watts per System, so it can drive the power amp harder without distorting it,
but marshall's for example, dont need it.

You don't need different tube pairs, but different companies make different
tubes though they are the same type. and different pairings equal different sounds.
but unless you have thirty different ECC83, laying around to test each set,
for hours you don't have to think about that, as the differences are rather small.
people usually gain preferences as they buy a set, play em till they break, buy a new
set and realize: either they like the specific set opposed to what they were used
to or not and buy a different one over the years. just buy a whole set of those you
like best.

DSL A has Electro Harmonix, you'll notice a clear and tight sound.
DSL B has the JJ ECC803, you'll notice a warm full sound nice from Bottom to Top.

Of course you'll take the set you liked best. until you experianced the differences
yourself in every detail, go for the set you liked best and dont worry too much
about it.

REMINDER: a high quality tube will always just change detail's in sound, depending
on how the tube is actually used in the amp. ( V1 position in the DSL is the gain tube
for the red channel, v2 for the green channel, V3 for the tone stack, and V4 as the
phase inverter. you might like tube a in V1 but not in V3, and tube b in V3 but not
in V1 and vice versa, but thats usually very suptile).
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

In your specific case The ECC82 is actually the output tube. and no! you can't
change the behavior of the distortion channel by changing the tubes, in case you would want a big change youd have to get the whole preamp modded.
a tube change will only change specific details, as they work slightly different with
different electrical currents, and that is far into the matter and brings a lot costs
and stress with it. it's like powertube biasing in the preamp, but a lot more complicated, it also would change the whole amp.

( buying a DSL would be the easier way )
Last edited by theScapegoat at Jun 3, 2013,
Quote by theScapegoat
they all use ceramic magnets, it doesn't matter if a speaker has neodym, alnico, or

You are an idiot

There are speakers with Alnico magnets where the hell do you get your "info" from?

TS don't listen to this guy he must be related to Toppscore
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You are an idiot

There are speakers with Alnico magnets where the hell do you get your "info" from?

TS don't listen to this guy he must be related to Toppscore

"What is toppscore???" - the german asks.

I did not say: there are no speakers with alnicos, I just said that it doesn't matter
for the sound of a speaker, if the magnet is an alnico, neodym, or a ceramic one.

usually a company says: hey, you vintage fanatic, come and buy our new alnico
speaker, it's sooo vintage.

but a ceramic one would sound the same. the frequency range is what matters.

EDIT: I think youve got distracted by me saying: they all use ceramic magnets.

I related to the celestions i mentioned.
Last edited by theScapegoat at Jun 3, 2013,
Quote by theScapegoat
"What is toppscore???" - the german asks.

I did not say: there are no speakers with alnicos, I just said that it doesn't matter
for the sound of a speaker, if the magnet is an alnico, neodym, or a ceramic one.

usually a company says: hey, you vintage fanatic, come and buy our new alnico
speaker, it's sooo vintage.

but a ceramic one would sound the same. the frequency range is what matters.

No they don't sound the same. they sound different. Scumback is a perfect example they make speakers with different magnets and those speakers have different tonal characteristics.

Where did you get your information from?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Right ok.

So for a classic rock and 80s metal sound then the Vintage 30 would be a good choice?

Ie heard a DSL401 with a Vintage 30 and a DSL201 with a Greenback and they did sound different. Both sounded great but quite different (the 401s tend to be reviewed with Les Pauls and the 201 with a strat which explains the difference in sounds, but I guess the speaker dictated the type of sound they wanted to achieve).

So in my situation I should just buy a whole set of Tubes as I won't really notice the difference as I've never experienced different tubes before? I've found sets of JJ 4 x ECC83 and 4 x EL84s which seem the smart choice (Cathbard recommended the JJ tubes).

Buying the DSL is the option for me I'm not into the whole Blackstar thing. I bought the amp cause I needed something to play at home but its just lacking and I find the ISF feature a bit gimmicky.
the V30 will work, but also look at the G12h30 or clones (WGS Reaper,Eminence wizard,Hellatone 30)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

nah, if anything i'd say they're kinda niche. they're dearer because alnico is dearer than ferrite/ceramic, not because they're better.

of course, if you need alnico speakers to get the tone you want, they're "better" (and the same could be said of ceramic). But in most situations, they're different rather than better or worse.

for what you want i'd be getting ceramic. i'd only get alnico if you know for sure they're what you need, because it's an expensive mistake if they're not

Quote by Robbgnarly

The Eminence Legend GB128 is a greenback clone that is compared a lot to the scumback M75

i dunno if i'd say it's a clone, it's more a greenback-style speaker, it sounds a little different. but it's in the ballpark for sure.

Quote by Viowithcrailtap

personally (and i say this having not tried them, maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread) if you're in the UK i'd say scumback and weber and the like are basically not an option. shipping, vat and customs up the price so much that they're just crazy expensive.

i like taydens. they're cheaper than the chinese-made celestions, and are made in the UK. the great brit in particular (to my ears) sounds closer to the english-made heritage celestion g12h30 than the chinese-made celestion anniversary g12h30 does. YMMV, of course, but that's how my ears hear it. and it's slightly cheaper too (than the chinese celestion- far cheaper than the heritage celestion).

if you want to save some money, the eminence legends are great, but you don't have a massive choice in terms of models or impedance options. But if they do a model which you like (I'm guessing either the gb128 for a greenbacky thing or v12 for a sorta v30ish thing), then they're pretty killer value. they're a fair bit cheaper than wgs in the UK, too.

Quote by theScapegoat
you don't make a wrong choice with a celestion, if you likem them, but you
should know what you want or need. you can see the differences in celestions
datasheets.

many guys like the GH12-75, for its distinctive hi-mid roar and "huge" bottom.

the Greenback is a very warm and bluesy speaker, nice for clean stuff,
nice feature, they can only take 25 watts, so they can easily be driven to speaker
break-up.

The Vintage 30. Pure british heavy Metal. often people say they scoop the mids,
but thats total bs. it actually has more low mids. it has a huge growl, it is damn loud and great for a Marshall, if you want to play metal.

The facts: G12T-75: Frequency range: 80-5000 Hz
Resonance frequency: 85 Hz
Sensivity: 97 dB

G12M Greenback: Frequency range: 75-5000 Hz
Sensivity: 98 dB

Vintage 30: Frequency range: 70-5000 Hz
Sensivity: 100 dB.

My expiriance comparing them in the shop: The G12T-75 feels loud, gives the typical
Marshall roar, tight bottom, great for rock or punk stuff.

The Greenback has a measured sensivity of 98 dB so it should be louder than the
G12T-75, but it has less mids so it feels a little quieter. The sound is very creamy,
warm and "woody"(: cant desribe it.), it has a very round bottom.
Great for blues but on higher gain settings it tends to sound muddy and too loose

The Vintage 30 is the Metal speaker imo. It has the most bottom end without loosing
clarity and has also the highest amound of mids. it is rated with a sensivity of
100 dB, so it should be twice as loud as the G12T and it is!!!
last year when i bought my DSL100, measured it through my 1960 V30 cab,
it rated 126.3 dB. thats damn loud.

if you want a celestion, go for a G12T for Rock, Greenback for jazz, blues and clean
stuff or the Vintage 30 for the heavy stuff.

the magnet matters

a greenback has way more mids than a g12t75

a v30 doesn't have low mids, it has high mids. and i've never heard anyone claim they're scooped. they're about the middiest speaker there is, they're like a tubescreamer in speaker form, lol. it also has hardly any bottom end.

i'm also not fussed on a greenback for cleans, it's too middy and dirty-sounding and woody. a g12h30, classic lead or g12t75 is far better for cleans in the celestion catalogue IMO (assuming you like a cleaner, more fendery, scooped-mid clean type of tone).

a g12t75 doesn't have a high mid roar, its mids are pretty scooped. it also doesn't have a tight bottom, its bass is really, really loose (to a fault, many would say; that's why a lot of people combine them with v30s).

Quote by Viowithcrailtap
Right ok.

So for a classic rock and 80s metal sound then the Vintage 30 would be a good choice?

i wouldn't. maybe a g1265 (wgs et65 is probably the cheapest possibility) or g12h30 (tayden great brit probably, as its wattage handling is enough, plus i like it better and it has a bit more fizz too which is good for the 80s stuff).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 3, 2013,
Dave MC,

i agree whith most what you are saying,
but i often hear the v30 scoops the mids, i know its not true.
the Mids start drawing a straight line at 100 dB from 450 to 1100 hz
in my area the frequencys up to 500 Hz are referred to as low mids.
also i quite like greenbacks for cleans but thats taste.
G1265? Hmmm. I've seen a few JCM800s with G12-65 speakers in. Quite a bit of a bump up in price so I'm guessing its quite a bit better? (That may be really naive of me).

What's this Heritage stuff? Are the G12-65 a heritage speaker?
What about the ohms?

I've got a web page that gives me the different models of Marshall amps and it says that the DSL401 originally came with a Gold Back and they're over £200!!!
Quote by theScapegoat
Dave MC,

I have never ever heard the V30 referred to as scooped, like ever. You must have no experience at all with V30's. V30's are widely known for the hi-mid spike they have (which is the opposite of being scooped)

The G12t75 is a scooped speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by theScapegoat
Dave MC,

well sure but i mean 450 to 1100 is only a little bit of low mids, it's mainly high mids

and yeah it's taste about the greenbacks for cleans

Quote by Viowithcrailtap
G1265? Hmmm. I've seen a few JCM800s with G12-65 speakers in. Quite a bit of a bump up in price so I'm guessing its quite a bit better? (That may be really naive of me).

What's this Heritage stuff? Are the G12-65 a heritage speaker?

yeah the only g1265s celestion makes are the heritages, that's why they're expensive. the heritages are made in england, while the "normal" celestions are made in china (mostly... the alnicos are made in england and i think the creambacks and 10" greenback are too, but don't quote me on that).

that's why i suggested the wgs version if you wanted to go that route as it's a lot cheaper. or the taydens as (as i said, to my ears) the great brit sounds pretty close to the heritage 55Hz g12h30 for a much cheaper price (and it's made in england, too).

just get the same ohms/impedance as the stock speaker. normally it says on the speaker what the impedance is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 3, 2013,
I've found a site with WGS, Tayden and Celestion speakers so I can get either. If the heritage 65 is worth the money I'd buy one.

Now is there the same England and China makes of tubes?
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
I've found a site with WGS, Tayden and Celestion speakers so I can get either. If the heritage 65 is worth the money I'd buy one.

There are only a few tube mfgr's (now days) and they are in Russia, Czechoslavakia and China .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ah right, so the tubes doesn't really matter where it's made as the companies make them slightly different to get a different sound?
Tube do matter, even though there are only a few plants that build them, they are not all made equal.

JJ tubes seem to be one of the better tubes that are not super expensive.

Also you need to figure out what your tone is missing or needs. JJ's tend to be darker sounding, Tung Sol's seem brighter, EHX are a brighter tube, Sovtek are not that great, (New) Mullard are nice and balanced, Genelex Gold Lion are nice but very expensive, SED are probably the best but they also cost a small fortune.

JJ's are the normal go to tube on this forum.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

JJ tubes seem to be one of the better tubes that are not super expensive.

Also you need to figure out what your tone is missing or needs. JJ's tend to be darker sounding, Tung Sol's seem brighter, EHX are a brighter tube, Sovtek are not that great, (New) Mullard are nice and balanced, Genelex Gold Lion are nice but very expensive, SED are probably the best but they also cost a small fortune.

JJ's are the normal go to tube on this forum.

So for a brighter clean I'd want Tung Sols or EHX in the pre amp and for a heavier gain put JJ in the power amp? I don't want a brighter fender-ish clean, the marshall clean seems to be a little darker with more bass and I like that.

I don't think there is anything missing from the sound I just want to replace the tubes and give the amp a little bit more of a defined sound. I've heard some stock 401s and a couple of modded 401s with a new speaker (which probably made it better) and the difference was pretty huge.
Last edited by Viowithcrailtap at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Viowithcrailtap

i'm not sure it's worth spending that amount of money on a speaker for a reasonably cheapish amp, especially when there are good-sounding alternatives at the £45 mark from eminence, a g12-65-style speaker from wgs at ~£60, or (IMO) great-sounding heritage-style English-made speakers from tayden for £70-£80 (though admittedly, far as i'm aware, tayden doesn't do a g12-65-style speaker).

as robb says, new production tubes aren't made in the UK. you can get NOS ones which are, but they cost loads.

Quote by Robbgnarly

Also you need to figure out what your tone is missing or needs. JJ's tend to be darker sounding, Tung Sol's seem brighter,

true for preamp, though for 6v6es for some reason that seems to be reversed, the tungsol 6v6 is creamy while the jj is brighter with a harder edge (and louder, it's almost more like a mini 6L6).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
So for a brighter clean I'd want Tung Sols or EHX in the pre amp and for a heavier gain put JJ in the power amp? I don't want a brighter fender-ish clean, the marshall clean seems to be a little darker with more bass and I like that.

I don't think there is anything missing from the sound I just want to replace the tubes and give the amp a little bit more of a defined sound. I've heard some stock 401s and a couple of modded 401s with a new speaker (which probably made it better) and the difference was pretty huge.

I have a JCM2000 DSL100 and I know it is a little different, but I like mine with a new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and V4 and JJ ecc83 in V2 and V3. This seems to make for a great warm tone that still remains articulate.

Right now I actually have 2 NOS Mullard ecc83 in V1/V2 a NOS Telefunkin ecc83 in V3 and a NOS JAN-GE 5751 in V4. This sounds amazing in my amp, but it is $300+ in 4 tubes so deff not your typical tube set-up.

If you like the Celestion 12-65 then the WGS ET65 would be perfect for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure it's worth spending that amount of money on a speaker for a reasonably cheapish amp

I see wat you're saying. Considering I can get a 401 for £300 or less, spending a further £135 on the speaker alone does seem a bit stupid.

I don't think I'd bother with NOS unless the amp was totally worth it.

There was a JCM800 4010 for sale the other day with a G12-65 in it so now that seems like it wouldn't have been a bad purchase (it was up for £550).

On the tubes side of it I'd just like to put fresh tubes and I'm not experienced with different brands etc so I'd probably just buy a whole set for the preamp and a set for the power amp
^ exactly. if you put that £135 towards the amp you could maybe just get a better out-of-the-box amp (which may well already have a decent stock speaker).

but if you get it cheap enough it'd be worth putting £40-£60 into it to get an eminence legend or wgs. you could likely get one cheaper used, too, which might be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2