Hola!

The thing is, I wanna buy a 2x12 cab.
I am actually planning to buy the Harley Benton 212 Vintage.

The next thing is, I need an amp to use said cab to play guitar with.
The budget is now about $140-150, and I wanna buy a low wattage amp (tube or hybrid).
I just want a good clean channel I can crank up to achieve an overdriven sound.
I don't need a completely clean channel, just something that sounds clean at low volumes before which I can put a distortion pedal, and can also get me an overdriven sound without tearing down the walls because of the volume.
Even discontinued/old used stuff would do.
I will use that as gigs too, but I don't actually care about clean sounds.
The closest big city is Milan, Italy.
I'd like to upgrade since I'm getting bored using this (I think) great Tele with this small Randall RG25RXM - solid state, 25W, 8" speaker.

The question now is, should I buy a low wattage tube amp like the Bugera V5 or BC15, or a more serious one like the Mooer Little Monster, or build one like the tube cricket myself? (or giving up the idea of being cool using a half stack and buying a combo?)

-I updated this following the guide 311ZOSOVHJH posted

Thank you very much!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 3, 2013,
With the budget of $150, you're not going to get anything that's really worth it.

Don't buy the cab, keep all your money together and buy a combo.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
With the budget of $150, you're not going to get anything that's really worth it.

Don't buy the cab, keep all your money together and buy a combo.

+1

With that budget you are not going to get the most value.

Also Low Wattage and good cleans do not always go together well.

read this too
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081
^ yeah

also the v30s in the harley benton would be about my last choice for nice cleans. they're really good high gain distortion speakers, not so good for cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, I guess I didn't really explained myself good.
Actually, it seems I did pretty bad :P

I don't really play clean that much, I'd like a low wattage amp so I can get an overdriven sound without using a pedal and keeping a relatively low volume.
I also don't need a second channel for I already have a pedal to get the high-gain distortion I like.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess what I want to do is overdrive the preamp tubes.
The power amp stage could even be solid state.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Then you don't need a low wattage amp.

High wattage amps are MADE to OD the premap tubes.
Use the master volume.
If you go bigger, you can still keep it quiet, and have the volume if you gig or jam with a drummer

In fact, right this second Im plugged into a 50W JCM, and it's playing whisper quiet
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 2, 2013,
I'd like a low wattage amp because they are usually cheaper than their high wattage counterparts, and I don't actually need to play loud.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 2, 2013,
For a cheap little head that can still rock.. Maybe try a micro terror.
It's a tiny 20 watt hybrid
Quote by Spambot_2
I'd like a low wattage amp because they are usually cheaper than their high wattage counterparts, and I don't actually need to play loud.

That's fair, but wattage =/= volume.
It's an indicator of headroom.

A 1W's power section will distort long before a 50W's.
You have more headroom with a larger amp, because they're made to drive the preamp for gain. Low wattage amps are made to be cranked to get power breakup at lower volumes than the big boys, but still get really loud to do it.
I updated the first post following 311ZOSOVHJH's directions.
The Blackstar HT-5R is a bit too expensive.
When I'll have big money I'll go for a real guitar head, but right now I'd go for something not-that-big.
darkwolf, I am aware of the fact that wattage indicates clean headrom.
The thing is, I don't want a small amp because I don't want to play loud.
I want a small amp because I don't need clean headroom.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

When I'll have big money I'll go for a real guitar head

I think this is one of the most common mistakes a lot of amature players seem to make.

Me, and just about everyone else here will tell you that you should never rush out and just buy an amp that you settled on, but know it not the one you're really looking for. I think its just a huge waste of money. You're way better off just saving for the amp you rally want, rather then wasting your money on an amp now, then upgrading again in a few months.

My advice is to either save for the head that you really want, or just opt for a combo instead.

I'm not sure if this would be an option for you, but have you thought about just renting a head for a few months, until you have the cash for the head that you really want? This could be a waste of money as well if its going to be a while before you have the cash for the amp you want, but if it's just going to be a few months, you can probably rent a head for like $20 a month... just saying
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Spambot_2

1) Price mostly depends greatly on the brand man, you can find very expensive low wattage amps and very cheap high wattage amps.
2)Wattage is not as much about loudness, it's mostly about headroom. You can play louder with little power amp distortion. Also if you need a high gain amp you'll probably get a high wattage one as most of them are over 50w at least.
the cheapest small amps normally don't have master volumes, though, which means you have to crank them louder than higher wattage amps which do have master volumes if you want distortion. that's the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It seems I can find both the Little Giant head and the Micro Terror head for $150 each.
Any opinions on these two?
The first is all tube (1x12AX7 for the pre, 1xEL84 class A power amp) 5W with EQ and gain, the second is a hybrid (1x12AX7 pre, class D solid state power amp) 20W with gain, tone and master - but I'll be able to use just 10W since the cab I'm planning to buy has 8ohm and 16ohm inputs, and the amp only has a 4ohm output.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It seems I can find both the Little Giant head and the Micro Terror head for $150 each.
Any opinions on these two?
The first is all tube (1x12AX7 for the pre, 1xEL84 class A power amp) 5W with EQ and gain, the second is a hybrid (1x12AX7 pre, class D solid state power amp) 20W with gain, tone and master - but I'll be able to use just 10W since the cab I'm planning to buy has 8ohm and 16ohm inputs, and the amp only has a 4ohm output.

Edit ---
Sorry for the two replays.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I also happened to find interesting the:
-Blackheart Killer Ant, 1W at whatever impedance you decide, 2x12AX7 in the pre section, solid state power stage, the only control is the gain knob, and the
-Bugera V5, 5,1.5 or 0.5W at 4ohm, 1x12AXT in the pre section, 1xEL84 in the power stage, which has gain, tone, master and reverb.

Are one-knob-only amps limiting?
And, has bugera got better with years or their stuff is still unreliable?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
I also happened to find interesting the:
-Blackheart Killer Ant, 1W at whatever impedance you decide, 2x12AX7 in the pre section, solid state power stage

I thought the Ant was 'all tube' with one 12ax7 in the pre-amp, and the other in the power amp??
^ yeah it is
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

SPECS:

» <1 Watt RMS, Single-Ended, Class A
» Outputs: 1 x 16 ohm jack, 1 x 8 ohm jack, 1 x 4 ohm jack
» Preamp Tubes: 2 x 12AX7
» Solid State Rectifier
» Volume (the rest of the tone is in your hands)
» DC Power to filaments for super quiet operation
» 15 ply, 18mm thick-void free plywood construction

It isn't really clear about that.
It doesn't speak about a power amp, but it does say that it's 100% tube.
Maybe it just has an output power transformer, and the W comes from the two preamp tubes only.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I can attest that it has an Output Transformer.

It was my understanding that one 12AX7 was for the preamp and the other 12AX7 was the power amp.

Solid state rectifier does not mean the power section is solid state, it just means it is not tube rectified for power - which is common in most amps.

I've got a clip of this bad boy somewhere. It has Zero 0 cleans/but good tone.

yep -
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play798828
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 3, 2013,
Aww, didn't know such low power tubes could be used fot rhe power stage.
But, to return to the main topic, what would you buy and why?
Blackheart Little giant combo (which I found for a good price)
Bugera V5 combo
Blackheart Little Giant head,
Blackheart Killer Ant head,
Orange Micro Terror head.
And, should I buy a 2x12 cab with any of the combos?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Just sayin'.... if you can stick that amp in your mouth, I'd doubt you'd choke on it.

I've had a good amount of test time on a Little Giant, and it's got a FAT tone. Not my ideal cleans, but it's got great tone for the price. You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable amp that sounds as good at a equally competitive price point.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by ragingkitty
1.) Just sayin'.... if you can stick that amp in your mouth, I'd doubt you'd choke on it.

2.) I've had a good amount of test time on a Little Giant, and it's got a FAT tone. Not my ideal cleans, but it's got great tone for the price. You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable amp that sounds as good at a equally competitive price point.

2. Yes. Fat tone. Great for the price. +1

Quote by Spambot_2
Aww, didn't know such low power tubes could be used fot rhe power stage.
But, to return to the main topic, what would you buy and why?
Blackheart Little giant combo (which I found for a good price)
Bugera V5 combo
Blackheart Little Giant head,
Blackheart Killer Ant head,
Orange Micro Terror head.
And, should I buy a 2x12 cab with any of the combos?

wow. not sure where to start here.

Low power tubes could be used as power tubes? Yes, in configurations like this you can use a 12AX7 as a power tube but they are generally considered preamp tubes. The amp sounds better with JJs vs the chinese crap that came stock.

Little Giant combo. Yes. Good price. Two channels. All in one.
Bugera V5. No. The only V series I would consider is the V22 but even then I probably wouldn't buy one.
Little Giant head. Sure. Needs cab. Your decision.
Killer Ant head. Sure. Needs cab. Your decision. I just posted a pic and clip so obviously I like it.
Micro Terror head. No. I personally wouldn't. Never played one but the reviews I read tell me I wouldn't be happy with it.

Why would you buy a 2x12 cab with any of the combos? Do you mean any of the heads? Yes you will need a cab. Getting a 1x12 or 2x12 or 4x12 or whatever is up to you. I bought a Blackheart 1x12 cab along with my Killer Ant and it was a great little cab. Came with an Eminence Luck Lady speaker. Great kit.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Why would you buy a 2x12 cab with any of the combos? Do you mean any of the heads? Yes you will need a cab. Getting a 1x12 or 2x12 or 4x12 or whatever is up to you. I bought a Blackheart 1x12 cab along with my Killer Ant and it was a great little cab. Came with an Eminence Luck Lady speaker. Great kit.

I actually meant to ask if I should have bought the 2x12 together with a combo.
I would do so because that way I can be louder when I need to, and more free if I don't feel like carrying 25kg of cab around.

The power thing would actually only work with the blackhearts, since they have 4,8 and 16ohm outputs.
That way I could also have a cab, which is pretty cool in my opinion :P
And, it could be useful for when I have a head to play with.

Maybe it's just a silly idea, but you know, I gotta learn somewhere.

Plus, the head is a bit cheaper than the combo - $50 less.
Is the combo worth the extra money?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I would do so because that way I can be louder when I need to, and more free if I don't feel like carrying 25kg of cab around.

The power thing would actually only work with the blackhearts, since they have 4,8 and 16ohm outputs.
That way I could also have a cab, which is pretty cool in my opinion :P
And, it could be useful for when I have a head to play with.

Maybe it's just a silly idea, but you know, I gotta learn somewhere.

Plus, the head is a bit cheaper than the combo - $50 less.
Is the combo worth the extra money?

Edit - sorry about the two posts again, it seems my phone's browser sucks pretty bad haha
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Spambot_2

ah right yeah that makes sense, it means you have options. probably worth bearing in mind that the cab might not be *that* much louder than the combo, but it should spread the sound better (and if the combo's speaker is low efficiency, the cab might be a fair bit louder as v30s are among the loudest guitar speakers you can get).

you just need to make sure that any combo you get has an extension speaker jack socket at the correct impedance. a lot of combos do, but not all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mig28
Blackheart Little Giant + Lucky Lady =

Well if this is the case, I'll go for the Litte Giant indeed XD
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola