I have a Hohner mc-05 and was wondering whether I should start on this then once I have attained a higher level I shall move onto a more expensive acoustic guitar.

I got this guitar as a present from which I believe came from argos and so low quality. The guitar has a spanish sound to it (being because it is a spanish guitar) and I want more of an acoustic one.

The strings that come with it have it so E,A,D are metal and G,B,E are nylon I believe. can I change these to have all Nylon?

so basically what im asking is can I get an acoustic sound from this guitar or should I get a new guitar?

thanks,
Joe
i thought the mc-05 was a classical. do you have a pic? having the heavier strings on a classical replaced by the much higher tension steel strings could have warped the neck or caused the body and neck to sort of fold in, which could make it much harder to play when the lighter tension nylon strings are put in place.

on the other hand, changing a steel string guitar to use classical strings means you'll have to change the nut, saddle and the tuners, the guitar will sound poor and there's a good chance the neck will be too narrow to play classical correctly.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
i'd probably look for a different one. you're not gonna get any good A7X outta that thing...Enrique maybe but Synister Gates... not so much.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by bilsma
...[ ]....The strings that come with it have it so E,A,D are metal and G,B,E are nylon I believe. can I change these to have all Nylon?
Wound classical strings have the appearance of metal, but they're nylon core. Is that what you're describing?

Quote by bilsma
so basically what im asking is can I get an acoustic sound from this guitar or should I get a new guitar?
Nylon strung guitars often don't the the necessary "truss rod" in the neck, to withstand the pull of a steel string set. As Patti pointed out, "no, don't do that, you'll break your toy".

So, another guitar is a necessity if you want the steel string experience.

But so help me, you better not come back and start complain about sore fingers.....

Your guitar is an acoustic guitar. Nylon string and steel string guitars have their differences but they are both acoustic guitars.

If you are asking if you can make yours sound like a steel string acoustic guitar then the answer is no.
basically I want to have my guitar to be able to play tunes like wonderwall by oasis

would I need a higher quality guitar?
if so, any recommendations?
I think a bourgeois with bubinga back/sides and a bearclaw spruce top will suit you right!
Quote by Disco monkey
I think a bourgeois with bubinga back/sides and a bearclaw spruce top will suit you right!

£1000+? i dont think so.

price range is around £100
pay no attention to monkeys bilsma ! everyone knows they're just monkeying with you. he threw pooh at the last Thread Starter !
your classical styled guitar will not play songs like Wonderwall very well. i'd suggest a simple Yamaha fg700s. it'll get the job done for you amply.
for a few quid more you could probably get into a BTO custom taylor guitar hand delivered by Bob Taylor himself....crap now i'm monkeying with you( at least i dont know any disco songs).
basically I want to have my guitar to be able to play tunes like wonderwall by oasis

would I need a higher quality guitar?

You just need a steel string guitar if you want to emulate songs played on a steel string guitar. Obviously the better the quality, the better it will sound.

if so, any recommendations?

To be honest, for 100 pounds you're not going to get anything very good unless you find a good deal on a used guitar.
god damn, just bought a shubb capo for £20 but its for nylon guitars...
Last edited by bilsma at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by bilsma
god damn, just bought a shubb capo for £20 but its for nylon guitars...

Is it for a flat fret board, or one that's radiused? Most classical fret boards are flat, that doesn't mean nylon strung guitars all are.
Quote by Captaincranky
Is it for a flat fret board, or one that's radiused? Most classical fret boards are flat, that doesn't mean nylon strung guitars all are.

i do believe it is for flat as far as i can see.

remember I am a complete noob to this.

anyways, yahama fg700 opinions?
Quote by bilsma
....[ ]....anyways, yahama fg700 opinions?
In this forum, that's pretty much a rhetorical question. The FG-700 is the only recommendation you're going to get in that price bracket. It does have a solid top, rare in that price point. The quality from individual to individual seems to be above average.

I always recommend its A/E twin sister, the FGX-700SC. The electronics are a 100 buck price hit, but IMHO, they allow you to grow into the guitar, not out of it.

Quote by stepchildusmc
...crap now i'm monkeying with you( at least i dont know any disco songs).
Dude, even "Kiss" can play disco....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o--0G4kxFY
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 4, 2013,
The MC-05 is a classical guitar, but you can definitely put steel strings on it, so long as you keep the string tension at the same level as the nylon strings usually generate (i.e. about 15 lbs.) Just go to the D'Addario website and consult the string tension charts to find the right steel strings. Most likely plain steel 10, 13 and 17, followed by 80/20 brass round wound 24, 32 and 42's will be OK... and will also be very soft and easy to play.
according to one of my fellow mates ,that plays guitar, said that "i got an acoustic guitar but after I learnt most of the chords I got bored and wanted to go onto an electric one."

If this is the case then my question is, can you do everything you want to do on an acoustic on an electric?
mostly. the bad players switch over to electric because the effects available mask the mistakes.
seriously, i do like electrics. jus' kiddin'....sorta. learning on acoustic is better in my opinion because you learn to play it correctly better than electric. switching over afterward would make you a better electric player. but acoustics sound much better when played correctly.
there really isnt a " is acoustic better than electric?" debate. its just a matter of style and tastes.
Don't worry about other people if they tell you they switched to electric because they got bored with acoustic... Whatever... What kind of music do you want to play? It's true that it's good to learn on acoustic because it will build finger strength and you will really notice your mistakes. But most importantly choose your instrument based on the style of music you're into and what you want to end up playing in the future.
okay so some sample songs that I want to be able to play.

oasis - wonderwall
eagle eye cherry - save tonight
any ed sheeran/ben howard song

oh yea and most of slash's records (just kidding )

could The yahamha f310 be right for me? Its definitely in my price range
the fg700s is commonly thought of to be the best quality starter type guitar. i'd try that one instead. the f310 reviews i just read put it a distant second behind the 700. if you can hold out a bit longer and save a little more...the fg730s is the electric/acoustic version of the 700.
the onboard preamp/tuner comes in really handy. most of the time you'll play it unplugged but when you get good enough it's already good to go...just add amp! plus, just like an electric... a LITTLE bit of effects(chorus,delay or reverb) can really add to the sound.
and your shubb capo will work on it !
on the lower scale of guitars, i love Ovations. the mid and deep bowls are fantastic for the hard type stuff like Slash. but for the songs you listed, i'd stick with the Yammie.
anything you hear on electric can be played on acoustic. hard to do that the other way around.
If you get the fg700ms its a little bit cheaper, same guitar but with a matte finish. I think its only $40-$50 more than the f310.

When I started out I rented an f310 for 3 months then bought an fg700ms and even as a noob I could tell the difference between the two.

Have fun looking though.
okay so it looks like I will be going with the fg700 model. thanks guys for all your help.
Quote by stepchildusmc
the fg700s is commonly thought of to be the best quality starter type guitar. i'd try that one instead. the f310 reviews i just read put it a distant second behind the 700. if you can hold out a bit longer and save a little more...the fg730s is the electric/acoustic version of the 700.
This information needs a bit of adjustment. If it didn't, I wouldn't even consider doing it, sorry.

The new Yamaha FG-700, is currently designated as "FGX-700" or something like that.

There is also an "FGX-700SC which is the straight up acoustic electric version of the guitar. Cutaway & electronics are $100.00 more. I think Yamaha released this because we sold so many of the acoustic only version for them.

The other models you mention, the FG720 & 730, are both over $400.00, and are step up models in other ways. The trim & finishes perhaps.

Here they are, linked in order:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fjx720sc-solid-spruce-top-mahogany-acoustic-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx730sc-solid-top-acoustic-electric-guitar

Bottom line is, @ 4th of July, you should be able to buy the AE FG700 for about $260.00, but you'll likely have to call and beg for that price.

Quote by bilsma
according to one of my fellow mates ,that plays guitar, said that "i got an acoustic guitar but after I learnt most of the chords I got bored and wanted to go onto an electric one."
An electric wold most likely be necessary for a band setting. Still though, more and more acoustics are showing up in louder and heavier bands.

Very few people can pull off a solo electric performance. Obviously there are exceptions. That extends to the audience demographic as well. Simply put, you're less likely to alienate people with a solo acoustic, than an electric. The sound is fuller harmonically. With an electric, you tend to be playing the amp and effects, more so than laying down a solid rhythm groove.

(Oh sure, every moron in the world can lay down 1/8 note power chord chugs on an electric. I suppose that's rhythm of sorts).

An acoustic "unplugged" version of a song, distills all the bullshit and frills out of the mix, and shows you the song's heart. Usually, the acoustic version is where the song actually came to life

Quote by bilsma
If this is the case then my question is, can you do everything you want to do on an acoustic on an electric?
Well no. Generally speaking you can't bend strings as far, play as far up the fretboard, or make as much of an ungodly racket.

Most of it comes down to testosterone. You can play louder and brag harder with an electric. But, if you're interested in learning rhythm, melody and vocal accompaniment, then the acoustic is where you should start.

At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to be literate on both instruments. You need to take a split personality approach to the situation. One person is the singer songwriter, and the other, is the "guitar hero".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 9, 2013,
i sit corrected. i blame the keyboard.... it really is a crappy keyboard. it doesn't always type what i want it to. sometimes i attempt to write things like " oh Cranky, you are such a wise and all knowing guitar god" what actually gets put on the screen is " Cranky !!! you miserable bastard!!! i still have those pics of you and that camel !!"
geesh... i wonder how much it would cost to have an exorcism performed on a keyboard?
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ].... Cranky !!! you miserable bastard!!! i still have those pics of you and that camel !!" geesh...[ ].....
Oh sure, you'll hold those against me forever, won't you? Still, it was only the one, and it's so hard to find a date when you get to be my age....

I'm not sayin' it's right, but when I saw those big brown eyes, my heart just melted...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 9, 2013,
FGX is the designation for the FG models with electronics. and chances are anyone who goes into a guitar center on fathers day can get the same discount as on the 4th of july.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
so I am now settled, will defo go with the FG700ms on amazon.
Thanks guys for your participation and help!
ive got a Valencia that i learnt on, its a great guitar, but one set back. since it was my first guitar that i learnt on, it has nylon strings and it sounds bad... what guitars are reckomended? thanks guys!
Quote by alexis_skyler
ive got a Valencia that i learnt on, its a great guitar, but one set back. since it was my first guitar that i learnt on, it has nylon strings and it sounds bad... what guitars are reckomended? thanks guys!
If you're looking at another classical guitar, I'd suggest you start your own thread.
Many some people who play classical will pick up on it. It's sort of getting lost at the end of this one.
Electric guitar is a different beast. It needs more subtle movements because its more responsive, and that is just as hard as having strong movements for acoustic.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??