I know this sounds like an easy thread to answer (hopefully it is to someone) but it's not as straight forward as scale length and string gauges :P

I have two Yamaha Super Flighters, SF500 and SF1000, one of which feels like the strings are a little easier to manipulate. It's stuff like bends and vibrato... What I don't understand is that they both have the same scale length (25.5", same as a Les Paul) and I have the same strings on both of them (Ernie Ball Super Slinky, 9s).

Any suggestions on what other factors might cause differing string tension? They are both set up almost identically as well, so I doubt that truss rod angle or anything like that could be affecting it. Any ideas?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Yep, both in standard tuned with the same tuner set to 440, both got the same set of strings which have both been put on within the last 2 weeks and played quite a bit too so strings will have settled.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Come on, someone has to have some idea? :/
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Are you sure what you are experiencing is differing string tension? Could it just be that one has a better setup, or that you like the feel of one of the necks more than the other?
The setup on your stopbar and nut will change how the tension feels, and the frets will change how bends feel significantly. You say they're set up almost identically, but of course if they were set up identically then there would be no difference, since they're the same guitar from this perspective.

As a side note, Les Paul scale is 24.75, not 25.5.
Quote by Roc8995
As a side note, Les Paul scale is 24.75, not 25.5.

^ This.

It's most definitely a set up feature. If one guitar has larger frets, then that will feel easier to play. If one has lower action, it will feel easier to play. Thinner neck, proper intonation etc etc.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I find that fret finishing can also make bends feel entirely different. A guitar that leaves the factory with rougher frets can feel much tighter than one with frets polished like glass.
Quote by jpnyc
I find that fret finishing can also make bends feel entirely different. A guitar that leaves the factory with rougher frets can feel much tighter than one with frets polished like glass.

I agree with this. Take a look at the frets. If the easier to play guitar has shinier frets than the other, that could be a contributing factor.
My bad on the scale length, I'd just been writing something about strats and was on auto-pilot :P Ok the two guitars both have very similar action, if not identical, but one of them has recently had the frets leveled, but that's the one that feels as if it has more string tension... CONFUSED?!

The action of my Yamaha SF500 is fractionally lower than my SF1000, which just had the frets levelled, but I wouldn't have expected fractions of a millimetre to make that big a difference :S
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

If the difference is large enough that you can tell which one is higher, it's enough to change the feel.

Fret leveling can result in a flatter top to the frets, so if there's more surface there for the string to contact it could make it feel different.

Again, the stopbar height has some influence too so even though it doesn't influence the action much, the bridge/stopbar break angle is fairly important.
Quote by Roc8995
Again, the stopbar height has some influence too so even though it doesn't influence the action much, the bridge/stopbar break angle is fairly important.

So if the break angle between bridge and stopbar is larger then the string being longer (regardless of scale length) will affect the tension? Cool, I'll get the callipers out :P

Cheers guys!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart