So I have a Randall V2 Tube head.
It has a pretty badass 6-band equalizer on it too.
I was thinking about buying another equalizer though and I'm not sure if that's just ridiculous or not.

The thing is I love the tone so much when the amps equalizer is on and I want to leave it on all the time but its always so loud that it drowns out my other guitarist in my band., so I use it for just solos.

I wanted to buy maybe an mxr equalizer so I can turn my amp down and have its equalizer always on then have this other EQ pedal for a boost for my solos.

Is this a dumb idea?
Quote by kidshredder667
So I have a Randall V2 Tube head.
It has a pretty badass 6-band equalizer on it too.
I was thinking about buying another equalizer though and I'm not sure if that's just ridiculous or not.

The thing is I love the tone so much when the amps equalizer is on and I want to leave it on all the time but its always so loud that it drowns out my other guitarist in my band., so I use it for just solos.

I wanted to buy maybe an mxr equalizer so I can turn my amp down and have its equalizer always on then have this other EQ pedal for a boost for my solos.

Is this a dumb idea?

use the volume knob on the amp. then you can leave the graphic EQ on all the time

My friend had a V2 a few years ago and it was a decent hybrid amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't think I quite understand.

The onboard EQ is footswitchable? And it doesn't have a level control? But the EQ you set makes the amp a lot louder?

And you like the EQ on all the time, or only for solo boosts?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by kidshredder667

If it's too loud, can't you just turn down the volume a little bit?
Quote by Robbgnarly
use the volume knob on the amp. then you can leave the graphic EQ on all the time

You can also use the volume knob on your guitar while you're playing, turn it down a little while playing at standard rehearsal volume and just turn it up when you have to play a solo to get some boost.
BOSS GE-7 EQ 7-Band Graphic Equalizer w/Master Level Control.

Inexpensive and fantastic. Love the master volume sliding level controller.
I keep this pedal on all of the time. The Boss GE-7 and act as a boost
in the line. I place it before my expensive pedals, after my wah.

Gotta check this Boss out and AB it with MXR.
Last edited by Toppscore at Jun 3, 2013,
The idea of having a sound for solos by using a different EQ pedal with different settings is a good idea. However, what has been said already makes sense - roll down the volume on the amp/guitar and turn it back up for solos...
If you feel you need a different tone/sound for solos, it's not a bad idea, but if you already use other pedals to achieve the sound you need then, then why bother?