So I'm a fairly new guitarist, jsut started playing 8 months ago and who's in the market for a new rig. I use a Yamaha EG 112C (a decent beginner guitar) and now im looking for a upgrade. I had my eyes out for 2 guitars but can't decide on which one. Its either the Epiphone ES-335 Dot or the Epiphone Les Paul standard. Any Suggestions on which one I should go for?. My style is Indie/Alternative/ post- grunge rock and usually play Foo Fighters, RCHP and The Black Keys stuff. Any other guitar suggestions are more than welcome. Budget's about $400.

Thanks a bunch guys <3

Also, Which amp would you suggest to go along with a guitar. Just need a decent practice amp which would sound good with Alternative/ Post grunge.
Sup man =] In my opinion try out each of the above guitars, see what tones you can find, what feels right and what you like the most, chances are you'll play them both and find you prefer one over the other =]

As for an amp I've found some good grungy tones on my Vypyr but with that amp it's all about spending time finding and saving your settings haha
Gear:
Epiphone SG Emily The Strange
Peavey Vypyr 75 with modded bat wing
Peavey Sanpera I
Ibanez AF-AF55
I'd go with the Les Paul.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Quote by sujith.jagan
So I'm a fairly new guitarist, jsut started playing 8 months ago and who's in the market for a new rig.

Where (roughly) are you located? That gives us a better idea of what's available in your area. What's your used market like?
Quote by dspellman
Where (roughly) are you located? That gives us a better idea of what's available in your area. What's your used market like?

I live in Dubai, U.A.E. People down here usually only go for high end guitars which can get REALLY pricy. The used market sucks balls down here cause as I've mentioned, everyone's selling their rig for $500+ and here I am trying to get a a guitar and an amp for $400
the Dot & LP are very very different guitars..... u should be aware by now what exactly u require from a guitar.... if its lotta cover song stuff then maybe a Strat will do u more justice because of the versatility..... there r Strats available with humbuckers if u want the humbucker sound, though it won't compare to a LP tone..... i am suggesting Strat coz ur budget seem quite low for a quality setup, & u can get a decent Squier Strat for half the price of a decent Epi LP...... however, a guitar's only half the sound, the amp matters too...... maybe a modelling amp?
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Jun 3, 2013,