Hey guys. I've recently sold my Bugera 333XL head that has been my main gigging and rehearsal amp for over a year. Against everyone's beliefs, my amp has stayed in perfect working order every since I first got it.

However, after selling it to someone (who tried it before they bought it), they are now saying there's a strong burning smell coming from the amp. He says, the smell comes from around the clean channels circuitry. He's only tried it once as far as I know at a band practice and that's when he noticed it.

What can be the causes of this?

P.S. I am asking on behalf of him because I am a regular on this forum, whereas he is not xD

Cheers
Carl
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
But there must be a reason why? Maybe if I can find whats causing the smell and replace (if possible) the component with a better quality one, it would prevent anything bad happening?

EDIT:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
but seriously, was the amp shipped to him or was it cash and carry? .

It was cash and carry straight from my living room.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Last edited by Carl21221 at Jun 2, 2013,
Quote by darkwolf291
IIRC, some of the earlier Bugeras had a plastic clip on, I think it was the Output Transformer, that would get hot enough to melt it.

Some examples?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Awesome. You...really shouldn't have to ever do this, but it's nice that someone did and documented it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Jun 2, 2013,
Well, either way it worked fine and didn't smell before and now it does. The guy may have dropped it, plugged it in without a load, got a tube unseated, has crappy power at his house, ran something funky into it, etc etc.

That said, if you are trying to be cool dude then show him this blog.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/BeerChurch/blog/58789//

You can find it in the Bugera Users Militia Thread.

^ Edit: LOL. Great pics *file saves*
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 2, 2013,
Sold as is. You got lucky...

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The souls of the valves are vengeful. You oughtn't have sold them...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by R45VT
Sold as is. You got lucky...

+1 if he was able to trying try it before buying and was obvious he was happy with it tough s*** as is. Also who knows what he's done to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If he asks for money back I would decline simply because, as you guys said, he bought it when it was working and I have no idea what he has done to it. But that being said, I'd hate buying an amp off someone and it screwing up from day 1. So I'm trying to help the guy to fix it, out of courtesy really. I'll get him to send me some pics of the guts of the amp and see if anything's burnt.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
You can also do the guy a huge favor by telling him to be careful opening up a tube amp. Not because it is a Bugera, but because it is a tube amp. They hold lethal voltages even if unplugged. Use a chopstick if you are going to poke around inside of an amp.