Hello and thank you for reading, I will go ahead and apologize in advance for the length of my post but I want to include as much information as you need to help me make a choice.

Ok so I need a new practice amp, and I was hoping to get some input here. I mostly play Metal and Rock(as my name would indicate) but I do want a versatile amp because I occasionally play Indie or Southern rock you name it. Like most guitarists I can appreciate and enjoy playing almost anything that's good. I am still a relatively new player, despite having played *with* guitars for years, I only recently became serious about learning and began putting any time into it. I did have a Johnson Millennium JM150 which was simply amazing as many of you know, but it is fried. So I decided that for me a new modelling amp might just be perfect for practice. The unfortunate fact however is that there isn't one good music store anywhere near me so I am going to have to buy one sight-unseen. I was hoping for some input here first to help make my decision. Here are the ones I have been looking at. I do know that not one of them will even compare to my Johnson Millineum Tube Modeling amp, but I do have a budget and cant very much and also Johnson was gobbled up by Line 6 or some other company years ago =/

Line 6 Spider IV(75W). U.S. $299: I am fully aware of Line 6s rep as trash but I don't know if they have gotten better recently and it did sound good on youtube(though I know that's hardly conclusive).

Fender Mustang II V2(40W) or III V2(100W). U.S.$199 and $329 respectively: I have always loved Fenders quality but never really thought of them as putting out many good metal/hardcore sounding amps. But this is a modelling amp so possibly it would work for that. Also I would not have a problem buying this one then using a pedal for my distortion if it would sound better than one of the other amps.

Peavey Vypyr VIP 2(40W) or 3(100W).U.S. $199 and $299 respectively. I don't know that much about Peaveys considering the only one I ever owned was a 15W starter amp but I do know they are well known to make quality products, and the Vypry looked and sounded good on youtube.

Things I will be playing: Varies of course but everything beween Pantera, Metallica, A7X to Muse, The Killers and Skynyrd.

I would love to hear the opinions of the guys and gals of this community on the 5 amps(or any others you feel that I should consider), and which they think might be best for a noobish guitar player to get. Please keep in mind that some of these cost a good deal more than others. So for example if 2 are nearly the same in your mind and one is $100+ more then let me know please. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in buying an amp sight unseen!
I guess you covered most of it but this format is so much easier for us to work with:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

On the surface I would say none of those amps.

Skynyrd to Pantera huh?

What is your top end budget and where do you live exactly?

Parting comment: I got my Vypyr Tube 60 for $300 and that is what I recommend for now.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess you covered most of it but this format is so much easier for us to work with:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

On the surface I would say none of those amps.

Skynyrd to Pantera huh?

What is your top end budget and where do you live exactly?

Parting comment: I got my Vypyr Tube 60 for $300 and that is what I recommend for now.

I am into many sorts of music, Pantera and Skynyrd, Blackberry Smoke and Avenged Sevenfold are some of my favorites, as are The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and The Kaiser Chiefs. I don't limit myself to liking just one type of music, it all just depends on my mood. The top end budget I would spend is probably the $329 for the Mustang III V2. Won't go much higher than that. I live in Georgia at least 125 miles from any real music store. As far as the Peavey Tube I didn't realize they made one, do you think one of these two would be a better fit for me, and if so which? I don't know the difference other than the wattage of course, though I plan on doing some reading right now. I just don't like buying used stuff, you never know how it's been treated.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-TUBE-60W-1X12-GTR-COMBO-109038981-i3172410.gc

OR:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-120-TUBE-2X12-W-SANPARA-I-FTSW-108958222-i3090109.gc
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Jun 2, 2013,
The Sanpera I is not nearly as awesome as the Sanpera II and personally the extra watts, speaker and bulk of the 120 is pointless. Either though really is far better than your original options.

I mean are you close to Atlanta or Macon?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Sanpera I is not nearly as awesome as the Sanpera II and personally the extra watts, speaker and bulk of the 120 is pointless. Either though really is far better than your original options.

I mean are you close to Atlanta or Macon?

Sadly no I am in the SE part of the state about 3.5 hours from Macon and 4.5 hours or so from Atlanta.

Has anyone here bought used from Guitar Center before? I am excited to possibly get a better amp, but leery of buying it used sight unseen.
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
Sadly no I am in the SE part of the state about 3.5 hours from Macon and 4.5 hours or so from Atlanta.

Has anyone here bought used from Guitar Center before? I am excited to possibly get a better amp, but leery of buying it used sight unseen.

The last few amps I have bought have been from GC and they are great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DeathByPalmMute

I got my JS32RR from GC.

They'll ship it to your local GC for free you know
You get a 30 day return policy on all used gear from them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DeathByPalmMute

I bought my Vypyr 60 at Guitar Center. It was $315. Plays awesome. No issues. Sounds huge. Do it.

Read up on the manual before you go/order/play.

You have just a much of a risk with a new Spider or Mustang TBH and I've heard some lackluster things about the new VIPs.

I have clips in my profile of the amp running off of the various channels.
I think you guys have convinced me. I think I will order THIS ONE:. The 120W is $30 more to begin with and cost 2x more to ship(they apparently only ship new items free). TOtal difference would be $45 so I could get a Sanpera I used for that anyway if I later decide I want one, and I don't need 120W at all. Just added weight and noise for my family to hear :P Last question, do you think I should spend $25 to get the 1 year pro warranty with it? Anyone have an experience with them? I never do that for anything new but with this one being used, it's something to consider.
For fun I checked the Jacksonville craigslit. These are not perfect as the heads would require speaker cabs but I saw a Line 6 Flextone head, Peavey XXX head, Ampeg VL502 head and a Peavey Valveking 112 combo (worth looking into too - but I owned a Valveking once and the Vypyr 60 powns it)
That one would be fine

There is also a Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo on there for $269 and those amps are very versatile, all tube and sound great.

The Vypyr tube will be absolutely fine, but I would personally take the Ultra.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
I think you guys have convinced me. I think I will order THIS ONE:. The 120W is $30 more to begin with and cost 2x more to ship(they apparently only ship new items free). TOtal difference would be $45 so I could get a Sanpera I used for that anyway if I later decide I want one, and I don't need 120W at all. Just added weight and noise for my family to hear :P Last question, do you think I should spend $25 to get the 1 year pro warranty with it? Anyone have an experience with them? I never do that for anything new but with this one being used, it's something to consider.

For $25 I'd probably go for the pro coverage but normally I don't buy that crap. The amp will be really happy if you get some JJ tubes for it starting with the 12AX7. Diezel and Dual Rec are my favorite amp models. Pregain 2pm, Treble, Mid and Bass roughly at 12 noon, Post Gain at 11am and Master at 11am. Then take off the stupid looking bat wings.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For $25 I'd probably go for the pro coverage but normally I don't buy that crap. The amp will be really happy if you get some JJ tubes for it starting with the 12AX7. Diezel and Dual Rec are my favorite amp models. Pregain 2pm, Treble, Mid and Bass roughly at 12 noon, Post Gain at 11am and Master at 11am. Then take off the stupid looking bat wings.

Thanks! I can't wait for it to get here now. Take of the Bat Wings?! But then everyone will know it's really Bruce Wayne!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, if you do want to take them off - hit me up.

Otherwise, good luck mang.

Here was the clippy I meant to post.

I will most certainly be taking them off LOL. Ugly as sin!
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Jun 2, 2013,
That tone is great! Definitely glad you told me about the amp! Now I just hope it comes in good condition. How many tubes does it take? Maybe I will go ahead and order those JJ 12AX7 tubes now.
Thanks. It will def sound better in person cranked up. That clip was cranked up (settings I gave you above) but it was a cheap digital camera.

The amp has 2 - 6L6 power tubes (probabaly Sovteks) and 1 - 12AX7 (probably chinese crap something). The 12AX7 acts as a phase inverter for the power tubes so it is technically part of the power section even though we refer to it as a preamp tube. I'd get at least 1 - JJ 12AX7 and maybe wait and see what it comes with. Or better yet, ask the store what it has and then decide.
If you want a practice amp, do you want the headphone jack feature?
If so, the following modeling amps are very good and very portable.
They have a good proven history and come from name manufacturers:

The Peavey Vypyrs are great
The Fender G-DEC 30w (see Fender's website videos) very cool.
The Line-6 PODs are very good
'

All have the modeling software for tons of amplifier styles and music genre's.
All have headphone jacks.
Quote by Toppscore
If you want a practice amp, do you want the headphone jack feature?
If so, the following modeling amps are very good and very portable.
They have a good proven history and come from name manufacturers:

The Peavey Vypyrs are great
The Fender G-DEC 30w (see Fender's website videos) very cool.
The Line-6 PODs are very good
'

All have the modeling software for tons of amplifier styles and music genre's.
All have headphone jacks.

Once again a swing and a miss.

TS has already decided on a vypyr tube 60 if you would read. Besides that the G-DEC is a crap modeler, the pod is not an amp and the regular vypyr is mediocre
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Once again a swing and a miss.

TS has already decided on a vypyr tube 60 if you would read. Besides that the G-DEC is a crap modeler, the pod is not an amp and the regular vypyr is mediocre

Agreed on all points.

I had a Fender GDEC as my first amp. It was great for low gain and surf tones but there is no way in hell it will do Pantera and A7X.
It has arrived! This amp OWNS! I don't know how much or little the VIP 2 would have owned, but this one I can say is the SHIT! And I cannot believe how loud it is! I can barely stand to hear it on level 2! Still sooo much I have to figure out but so far I am liking it.
Congrats.

If it makes you feel better I'm hearing people complain that the VIP 2 is not as good as the original Vypyrs. Mostly that people don't like the display, they like the simple way things were laid out on the originals.

Now. It's time for a NAD thread once you get comfy with it. Remember we need 2 of these 3 things. Review. Clips. Pics.

But happy to try to help any questions you may have. If you press and hold the preset bank you are on it will save the settings you just adjusted. The stock patches are not the greatest.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

But happy to try to help any questions you may have.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yep.

But as I acquire more gear, I decided to just display my actual chain I use w/ my band.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have one question, during the course of my googling things on the amp, one thing I have read several places is people talking about the "trick" where you crank the max volume way up and control the amps volume with "channel volume" so that it sounds way better because of the tubes. I don't understand that at all but at least 3 people mentioned it. What is a channel volume? Am I missing something here? lol
MS412

Funny, I Googled MS412 and this is actually my cab, it's the pic I have on my profile. That's my old VK212 & Royal 8 to the left. It was the 4th image result.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 7, 2013,
^ Cool. I didn't realize MS was a Peavey cab. I was assuming Marshall TBH

Quote by DeathByPalmMute
I have one question, during the course of my googling things on the amp, one thing I have read several places is people talking about the "trick" where you crank the max volume way up and control the amps volume with "channel volume" so that it sounds way better because of the tubes. I don't understand that at all but at least 3 people mentioned it. What is a channel volume? Am I missing something here? lol

The channel volume is the Post Gain knob. I don't think I'd personally enjoy maxing the Master Volume and then using the Post Gain but if I'm reading into it correctly, it just means they are cranking the preamp distortion of the amp and less the power amp distortion (which is what the Post Gain is). I can see that working. Post Gain channel amp distortion can be a bit muddy when cranked.

I'll have to try it.

Usually have Pre = 2pm, Post = 11am, Master = 11am
One thing I do enjoy is using the headphone jack, but my headphones lack the ability to due it justice. How good is the headphone out? Is it worth buying a pricey set of cans? Or will it still suck?
I use the headphone out for really quick recording into my Saffire 6 interface. You have to turn the gain way down from what you use playing out of speakers, it gets really noisy and messy if you don't.

As far as headphones go, I don't know. I use the headphone out to play, it sounds a lot thinner, and hifi/compressed, but I use $5 Target headphones. I don't know if quality headphones would provide a quality sound.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh 311 I did that, jacked the volume up a bit(only to about 5-6) and used the post gain to control it, it certainly sounds better to me. At least on the distortion. Give it a go
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
Oh 311 I did that, jacked the volume up a bit(only to about 5-6) and used the post gain to control it, it certainly sounds better to me. At least on the distortion. Give it a go

That's pretty much what I (we all) do. Your Master volume is how loud the amp is overall. The Post gain, when cranked, should be introducing (via modeling) power tube distortion along with volume. I've found that that anything over 11 oclock or 12 oclock on that dial things start to get muddy.

Now for lower gain stuff like classic rock or blues having that knob cranked up may sound good but for metal it probably won't.

You said cranked up a bit being 5-6.

Is that 5 out of 10 (halfway) -or-
Is that 5 o'clock (almost maxed)

We are probably at the same place on the dial. I'm using O'Clock to describe my settings.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Usually have Pre = 2pm, Post = 11am, Master = 11am
OK, I so experimented with headphones a bit tonight and what I found is that better headphones do sound better. But, I think it is just the factor of the better headphones sounding better like they you would expect under any other circumstance. I tried some POS ear buds and then my good Sony headphones (I couldn't find my Sennheisers )

Headphones do make a difference so if you are going to be using them a lot for practice I recommend getting some better ones. My Senns are a H102 I think. They were $100. When I find them, I will try again.

What you need to keep in mind is that on the Vypyr, like most amps with a headphone out, you are only getting the preamp. In other words, you are not getting the full tone of the signal all the way through the amp and onto the speakers (obviously). Like Offworld said, reduce the preamp gain a bit and maybe increase the bass.

YMMV

Have fun!