I am thinking of buying some emg pickups to put inside my Ibanez AX220. Im bored with the guitar and am getting a new PRS, so i want to have some fun witht he ibanez. Ive done very little research on the EMGs, and not sure which pickup would be best suitable in the bridge/neck, or also which pickups would be giving me the fattest sound possible. I played around with a PRS SE Nick Catanese and really liked the sound, along with a Gibson LP that had a really fat lead sound as well. Anybody have any suggestions about what sort of EMG i can put in that old ibanez and give it some fat and heavy lead sound?
Am I posting incorrect? I seem posts get a bunch of views but no comments, and I'm new to the MSG boards.
Welcome to the boards. What kind of music are you wanting to play? What's your budget?

I'd honestly steer clear of EMG pickups, but that's mostly because I loath actives as a whole.

For thick LP tones I recommend a Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck.
I really like EMGs but if you're after a really fat tone then they're probably not what you want to be looking at.
This is easy. These http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/395/294/1

57/66 set. Amazing pups for pretty much everything. Just do it. I have them in my Ibby, let me know if you have any questions.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
I'm playing all types of music, not one genre in specific. I liked the tone of the EMG in the PRs Se singlecut I was playing, but will definitely check out the diMarzios.
Ok this is the obligatory Blackouts Rule EMGs Suck reply that was bound to happen like a '90s teenager in a guitar store playing Enter Sandman

I have a Schecter Blackjack with Seymour Duncan Blackout active pickups. My friend has a much more expensive ESP Eclipse with EMGs (not sure of configuration, pretty sure it's an 81 in the bridge). I have played both guitars through the same rig and my Schecter blows his ESP out of the water. He gets so frustrated sometimes trying to get a good sound, while I can do it with ease.

I'm not a EMG-basher - there's too many A-graders who swear by them for me to get cocky and snub them. That said there is a growing army of Blackout supporters. I'd strongly recommend at least considering them. I've got a Les Paul with Bare Knuckles and a Schecter with Blackouts, and I'm totally sold on both.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
FWIW, I had EMG 81/85s in the Ibby, replaced with Blackouts and liked them better, found they squealed a bunch with hi-gain and threw in the EMG HetSet and they were great pups. For kicks, on recommendation from my former guitar teacher I tried the 57/66 set and they are the best I've tried yet.

I concur Blackouts beat the legacy EMG 81/85s but don't count out the new EMG offerings...they are too good to dismiss because of the 81/85 reviews.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Ah yes the Hetfield EMGs ... mmm I must admit I did consider getting some at one point. Had a quicl listen to some audio clips with them - they sound awesome
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Thanks for all the input. Im traveling, and will definitely be spending some time trying out the blackouts.
Quote by dkunick
This is easy. These http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/395/294/1

57/66 set. Amazing pups for pretty much everything. Just do it. I have them in my Ibby, let me know if you have any questions.

The 66 will give you very little low end, compared to an 81/85 set.

Anyway, I actually prefer Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They sound cleaner, imho. I have a set AHB-1/ABH-2, and get excellent low end on the bridge (the ABH-2) and great leads on the AHB-1.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/active-blackout/
We need to know what you want to play to make any real recommendations. Just give us a list of bands/songs you'd like to get close to.

I'd also like to throw out the opinion that Blackouts are pretty niche. What they attempt to do, EMG X do way better. EMG X are more organic, sound fuller and better clean. Blackouts are really only good if you want something more passive than an EMG but more active than an EMG X.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't know about blackouts...never played them. EMG 81/85 in my MH400 dropped a whole step sound amazing. I would say play a guitar with them and see. The whole EMG haters thing is like ford and chevy....what ever.

Hatfield EMGs or look at the zakk wylde set maybe.

Good Luck!
I just threw an EMG 60 in the neck with an 81 in the bridge, could not be happier. Was going to go with the "Het Set" but I like older Metallica, can't stand their new sound.

I think this is really a matter of preference, try them out if possible.