Hey Guys,

I've recently bought a used RR5 and it came with EMG HZ-H4 pick ups and I'm looking to replace them.

I have looked at getting a set of Duncan Jazz/ JB but just wondered if anyone had any better recommendations?

To be honest I thought of the Duncans as the RR1 originally came with them and they do sound great.
Well it kinda depends.
What sound do you wanna achieve, and what is your budget?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Can't go wrong with the JB/Jazz. Very versatile and it's what I swear by.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
They seem to be a good set to go for. The Jazz has some great clean tone and the JB has an awesome heavy tone. I watched a video of a guy with a ESP DV8R with the JB/ Jazz pair and it sounded amazing!
What amp?

The RR is alder right? The JB might be a tad bright if your amp is a bright one. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 also sounds pretty nice in an alder body .
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
DiMarzio Super Distortion? That's what all the 80s metal guys were using.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by ragingkitty
What amp?

The RR is alder right? The JB might be a tad bright if your amp is a bright one. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 also sounds pretty nice in an alder body .

The amp will be a DSL401. And yeah the RR5 is Alder with Maple Neck-thru.
Not too familiar with the sounds of the 401... I suppose it should be fine since the RR was design with a Marshall in mind.

Also consider a DiMarzio Super 3 if you want more focused mids.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well the set of Dimarzio pickups that rhoads had in his Sandoval Flying V were a Super Distortion and PAF. But the body of the Flying V was Mahongany. Would that have played a role in the choice of pick up?
Last edited by Viowithcrailtap at Jun 3, 2013,
The tonewood will indeed impact your sound. It's probably not going to have a massive impact, but you're talking about bass response, the brightness of the guitar.

Overall, if you're talking about drastically changing your overall tone from guitar to guitar, you can probably compensate for it with your amp's EQ.

Something that would be noticeable is something along the lines of the thump of palm mutes in a mahogany vs alder vs basswood. IMO a JB sounds decidedly better in darker and denser guitar, whereas something like a Super Distortion sounds better in a brighter guitar.... but YMMV.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I've watched a video comparing the Jazz and PAF in an Ibanez S series and to be honest there was hardly any difference. It was just played clean though so that might be why.

On the other hand the bridge pick ups were a JB and an X2N and the JB was so more refined than the X2N which was quite fizzy and annoying. Maybe a comparison between a JB and Super Distortion would be better to help decide.
My 1995 RR1 came stock with Bill Lawrence pups sounds tough.
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
The RR5 I've just bought came with EMG HZ-H4 in and I don't like them. My local shop has just mentioned Bare Knuckles so I'm gonna give them a look at too.
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
The RR5 I've just bought came with EMG HZ-H4 in and I don't like them. My local shop has just mentioned Bare Knuckles so I'm gonna give them a look at too.

1. Alnico 5 Nailbomb in neck
2. Ceramic Nailbomb in bridge
3. Jizz your panties!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
1. Alnico 5 Nailbomb in neck
2. Ceramic Nailbomb in bridge
3. Jizz your panties!

I've been told a Holy Diver would be a good choice for the bridge.
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
I've been told a Holy Diver would be a good choice for the bridge.

Well, if you like the sound from the Holy Diver song, then maybe. Best bet is the Nailbomb for an introduction to BKP, so unnaturally rich in harmonics, you can swear you just woke up Chutulu.

Or just message BKP and give them your gear specs and how you want your guitar to sound and see what they say.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I've been advised either a set of emerald/ holy diver or cold sweat/ miracle man. I've watched a couple of videos on the Miracle Man and it blew me away. The cold sweat was really impressive too.
The Emerald / Holy Diver combo will give you a fat and "muscular" sound, whereas the Cold Sweat / Miracle Man combo will be very clear with fairly good note definition and an "aggressive" sound.

However, the Cold Sweat and Miracle Man will give a scooped character and are bright sounding pickups. Nether the CS or MM will sound shrill, but I've tried both and now that they are really bright. Personally, I love their sounds, but I find them too bright for alder. YMMV.

I wold have gone with a Nailbomb / Miracle Man instead, that's a awesome combo that really work well together. Natural combo... they go as well together as carrots and peas.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
The Emerald / Holy Diver combo will give you a fat and "muscular" sound, whereas the Cold Sweat / Miracle Man combo will be very clear with fairly good note definition and an "aggressive" sound.

However, the Cold Sweat and Miracle Man will give a scooped character and are bright sounding pickups. Nether the CS or MM will sound shrill, but I've tried both and now that they are really bright. Personally, I love their sounds, but I find them too bright for alder. YMMV.

I wold have gone with a Nailbomb / Miracle Man instead, that's a awesome combo that really work well together. Natural combo... they go as well together as carrots and peas.

So would the Cold Sweat/ Miracle Man be too bright for the RR5? I will check out the Nail Bomb. It seems to be that Bare Knuckle make a lot of good stuff.

Peas and Carrots........... Forrest Gump
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
So would the Cold Sweat/ Miracle Man be too bright for the RR5? I will check out the Nail Bomb. It seems to be that Bare Knuckle make a lot of good stuff.

Peas and Carrots........... Forrest Gump

Again caveat emptor, what I found bright, might not be bright for you. Its really hard to say whether a pickup will be bright based on your guitar and amp. However, the Cold Sweats and Holy Diver are both supposed be very 80s sounding.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )