hey all. I'm looking to get a Rickenbacker 4003 by the end of the summer, maybe. and I have a few questions.

I will be wanting to put flatwound strings on it as soon as I get it, what brand works best? I'm thinking I'll just get rotosound flatwounds (standard gauge).

I've read though that rotosound flatwounds are the more higher-tension strings. is this true? and if so will it effect the Rickenbacker drastically?

also, what length string works best for the Ric?

any other tips, comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Last edited by basser4ever123 at Jun 3, 2013,
Rickenbackers are overpriced, poorly designed and made by a company with questionable morals.

Aside from that I'd recommend Thomastik Infeld jazz flats or Ernie Ball Chrome flats.
I tend to get lighter flatwound strings to balance out the tension.
You will need long scale strings.
doesn't it already come with flats? assuming u r buying new..... for the price they ask, u should have a choice of fresh new stock strings round/flat..... its not exactly a $200 guitar that every 13 yr old rocker kid has by his bedside....
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Jun 3, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
Rickenbackers are overpriced, poorly designed and made by a company with questionable morals.

We know you don't like Ricks. Don't stretch the point.

Anyhoo, on topic: personally I like the D'addario Chromes flats and the DR Legend flats. Both are a bit pricey, but then again you are considering buying a Rick....

Your guess is as good as mine though. If necessary just buy a few packs by different brands and see which you like the best.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Last edited by Spanner93 at Jun 3, 2013,
why do so many people bash rickenbacker? seriously, I don't understand why people give them crap.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Last edited by basser4ever123 at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by basser4ever123
why do so many people bash rickenbacker? seriously, I don't understand why people give them crap.

you're opening a can of worms

i mean i agree but people who see me in MT probably think i'm clinically insane when a modes debate starts and i'm in the middle of it

people have their things, especially on the internet it's not like every person in the world hates rics, if that were the case they'd have went out of business years ago
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I'm aware what could happen here.

I've looked all over the internet researching Rics. Yeah people have gotten lemons, that happens with everything you purchase.

I just have a few questions... that's it.

Quote by basser4ever123
I just have a few questions... that's it.

And that's fine. I absolutely love the TI flats I found in one of my cases, would highly highly recommend, even if they're pricey. I've also had good experiences with D'addario Chromes. String choice is particularly preferential, you'll just have to try them out and over time find out what you like best.

Other advice: remember when you're setting it up that it has two truss rods. If you haven't tried one yet, I highly suggest trying either a 4003 or 4001 first. Lots of people get stars in their eyes concerning Ricks and end up disappointed.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, let's try not to start any flame wars over company ethics this time.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by basser4ever123

They offer nothing that isn't offered by basses half the price.

They are brand who are popular simply because a few famous names used them. The same reason people spend so much money on Hohner Violin basses.

They have known reliability problem, particularly the frets being made of butter. (Hence why they are shipped with flatwound strings) and weak pickups.

Ethical complaints, you don't have to read this as it isn't about the bass itself.
There legal team is vicious, unfair and often oversteps the boundaries of the law. Such as sending cease and desist letters to Basschat because it's users are selling copies from the 70s,, something the users have the legl right to do. They find these copies ore threatening than any other brand because it damages their artificial pricetag by showing just how easy it is to make a Rickenbacker. Not to mention that intellectual property, patents and copyright are the biggest thing holding the whole human race back.

But, y'know, just my 2 pennies. If you want a Rick then there's nothing I can do to stop you getting one, most people have already made up their minds before they post here.
Apparently they are suing Jason Lollar due to his improved version of the horseshoe pickup. They are going after the aftermarket parts manufacturers since they are also going after Takeuchi for making a better version of their bridge.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jun 4, 2013,
I don't care about their business stand point. I dont' care that so-and-so doesn't like their basses. please stop commenting on my thread about how much you dislike them. thank you.

back to the topic... I reall like rotosound flatwounds. I play them on my jazz bass every now and then, and I think they would sound pretty cool on the Ric.

All I can say is make sure you try one. I was initially caught up in the hype with Rickys, but the necks just feel like a twig to me when I finally got the opportunity to try one (and have done now on several occasions). Just couldn't get on with it . When you get to "that" kind of price point on a non-custom instrument, you don't want to be making an expensive mistake. And don't buy a Rick online, with the quality control issues they have had in the past. But I do feel any bass of that kind of price you shouldn't buy unseen/unplayed anyways. If you have tried one, then chances are you've played it with flats anyhoos.
I'm hoping to play one this weekend. and this place is almost two hours away. I can't find a place anywhere near where I live that sells Rics. I want a mapleglo one btw. and the place I'm going only has one jetglo.

Quote by Spaz91
They offer nothing that isn't offered by basses half the price.

They are brand who are popular simply because a few famous names used them. The same reason people spend so much money on Hohner Violin basses.

They have known reliability problem, particularly the frets being made of butter. (Hence why they are shipped with flatwound strings) and weak pickups.

Ethical complaints, you don't have to read this as it isn't about the bass itself.
There legal team is vicious, unfair and often oversteps the boundaries of the law. Such as sending cease and desist letters to Basschat because it's users are selling copies from the 70s,, something the users have the legl right to do. They find these copies ore threatening than any other brand because it damages their artificial pricetag by showing just how easy it is to make a Rickenbacker. Not to mention that intellectual property, patents and copyright are the biggest thing holding the whole human race back.

But, y'know, just my 2 pennies. If you want a Rick then there's nothing I can do to stop you getting one, most people have already made up their minds before they post here.

thats just too much hatred..... a Rick will always find a taker & so will a Hofner Bass... there is nothing u can do about it.... & also about the fact that a company is free to put any price tag on its products.... its a democracy...... u r free not to buy it......
Quote by bluewaters999
thats just too much hatred..... a Rick will always find a taker & so will a Hofner Bass... there is nothing u can do about it.... & also about the fact that a company is free to put any price tag on its products.... its a democracy...... u r free not to buy it......

Thanks for this post. I really needed a laugh.

I'm going to respect the mods and this thread and just leave it alone. I won't even point out how everything you just said was completely wrong, mispelled and overly generous with the elipses.

Toodles.
Quote by Spaz91
Thanks for this post. I really needed a laugh.

I'm going to respect the mods and this thread and just leave it alone. I won't even point out how everything you just said was completely wrong, mispelled and overly generous with the elipses.

Toodles.

when u r done laughing, point out the wrongs & the spelling mistakes......
Quote by bluewaters999

Spelling and grammar corrections are as follows:

That's just too much hatred. A Rick will always find a taker and so will a Hofner bass. There is nothing you can do about it nor the fact that a company is free to put any price tag on it's products. It's a democracy, you are free not to buy it.

In addition, democracy has bugger all to do with the price of fish.

That pun works on so many levels.

Anyways, back to topic. TS, is it a chain store you're buying from? If so, they may be able to get a mapleglo one from another store for you to try.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by bluewaters999

OH FINE.

Nothing I said conveyed any kind of hatred, I used facts and interpretations alone.
I said people will always buy Rickenbackers and Hofner and I explicitely said there was nothing I could do to stop them.
I never said companies weren't free to set their prices. In fact, I pointed out that they do set their own prices regardless of value hence "artificial price."
What's a democracy? Democracy is a style of government not economics. UG forums are a hierarchy, the internet is anarchy and our systems of government are oligarchies.

If someone spends two grand on an instrument and has two grand's worth of appreciation for it then that's just great and I won't disagree with themm. Obviously ethical concerns are a whole other story but the OP has stated that he gives no shits.

It's his decision and he will certainly make the right one.
Quote by bluewaters999

From the Rules of the Forum:

And you, the forum member, we ask that you take the following recommendations to heart:

You will try to use some semblance of grammar, especially the occasional use of punctuation. It makes your posts easier to read and you’re more likely to get responses and respect from your fellow bass players on the forum

There's a reason why this is part of the recommendations for posting here, as you see from this thread.

And Democracy is political. You are talking about free market economics, perhaps?
I'm done with this. thanks to all that helped.

Spaz91, you sir are a piece of shit. I've seen you troll throughout all of the other threads that post about Rics and make your snarky, "witty" comments about how "terrible of a company they are" and "how low quality they as a company are". no one gives a shit. seriously. take your trolling somewhere else. no one on this site has time for it, or frankly cares about it. I don't know what you're trying to do, but whatever it is, you're not accomplishing anything. I just had A FEW simple questions and you give me your "two pennies" worth of what you call advice, which is you bashing Rics. sorry dude, but your advice is useless.

thanks.

Well i did not know this was a school. The way i have written is a way most people write on social networking sites on the internet. I have not even used s.m.s. style except for two words, "you" and "are", which has actually become the norm around the world. You do not write stuff here like you do when writing a para or essay in school. Internet is a global platform for the exchange of ideas between man and man and not everybody achieves 90% marks in English Literature in school. There are bound to be grammar mistakes here and there, which is actually irrelevant to the topic of discussion and it is actually a very very nerdy thing to point out. If English grammar is the main concern of this website, not music, then i do not know whether i will come back here again.

Yes, by democracy i meant freedom. I do not know if every democracy out there follows a free-market economy but i have never heard of any country controlling the prices of musical instruments. But i may be wrong.

Coming back to the topic, i stand by everything i said. A Rickenbacker and a Hofner has sold guitars in the 60's, they are selling now and they will continue to sell 20 years hence. I have observed that certain people in this thread has a deep hatred for Ricks and are also jealous that they can't own one because of the prices. Let the prices drop, i am sure more than half of those will rush to a nearby store to get one irrespective of the quality issues. There are quality issues with every brand out there, even high end Gibsons.

I myself play a Hofner Icon bass and i am well aware of the quality issues. i also have a Squier bass that i used to play but these are different instruments. Just like a Rick and a Gibson. Every guitar out there has a different feel and different application. I may not like something but what right have i to say that it will not fulfill someone's else's requirement? And when a certain instrument is working fine with me, should i allow someone else to bash it saying its a lemon? This website should be here for people to help out each other, not to bash stuff. Maybe that should be a priority of the rules of this website rather than grammar.

I am not a Englishman and i do not care for grammar. What i care about is whether i have succeeded in transferring the right set of ideas that i intended to transfer into your head. It is about understanding, not grammar. And yet i have tried and kept it as grammatically correct as possible for your perusal. That is the best i can come up with.

Now you can start on the capitalizations of 'i' or other commas and semi-colons.
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Jun 5, 2013,