Hello

I've been used to playing electric guitar with the sound from the amp filling out my room. But now since I've gotten myself a Taylor GS mini acoustic guitar, even though I love it, I find it difficult be to be satisfied with the unamplified volume I get when playing alone in my room.

I am now considering getting a JJB pickup installed in my GS mini, but I was wondering how it'll sound through the Roland 20XL cube amp that I currently use with my electric guitar. I have been told that the pickup is able to replicate the acoustic sound crystal clear, but will the cube ruin this signal?

Thanks
Why do you need more volume when playing alone in your room?

If you plan on playing live with the guitar then getting a good pickup installed will come in handy. It will sound shit when played through a shit amp but if you're going straight into a PA system it should sound pretty good.
Agreed. Strum harder. Acoustics don't generally sound good through a solid state amp. Apparently, back in the day (like in the 40's and 50's), they used to install springs inside the body of the acoustic for a little volume boost. Don't really know how that worked in theory, but my neighbor has her grandfather's old gibson and it has these in it. anyone have insight on this?
I should probably mention that I primarily play fingerstyle, which in its very nature isn't as loud as strumming
Quote by derek8520
Why do you need more volume when playing alone in your room?

If you plan on playing live with the guitar then getting a good pickup installed will come in handy. It will sound shit when played through a shit amp but if you're going straight into a PA system it should sound pretty good.

Because I got used to playing fingerstyle on my electric, where I could be very gently on the strings without using nails, and still get a large sound. This is not the case on my acoustic where I really need to put in muscle to just get a decent volume
Quote by doode94
Hello

I've been used to playing electric guitar with the sound from the amp filling out my room. But now since I've gotten myself a Taylor GS mini acoustic guitar, even though I love it, I find it difficult be to be satisfied with the unamplified volume I get when playing alone in my room.

I am now considering getting a JJB pickup installed in my GS mini, but I was wondering how it'll sound through the Roland 20XL cube amp that I currently use with my electric guitar. I have been told that the pickup is able to replicate the acoustic sound crystal clear, but will the cube ruin this signal?

Thanks

It will work fine, all you're looking for is a clean signal reproduction and solid state amps do clean just fine.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I play my acoustic through a Cube 30 on the "Acoustic" setting when I need extra volume and it sounds excellent.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I have used the clean channel for acoustic on my roland cube 30 and it sounds ok to me.
It will sound fine through the Roland Amp. For bedroom use & this type of playing you are best off with a solid state.
Quote by ryanbwags
Agreed. Strum harder. Acoustics don't generally sound good through a solid state amp.

Acoustic amps are usually solid state amps...

Anyways, an electric guitar amp would not work as well because it would be missing the HF/tweeter/Horn element

Cube will be fine on the clean setting, I believe the cubes are full range.

Another possible option would be to invest in a PA speaker and small mixer, so if you ever get the urge to play gigs, or even just for friends and family, you'll have that ready to go.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Acoustics through a Jazz Chorus sounds pretty good and the JC model on a cube is fairly authentic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification