Page 1 of 2
Let's say that there's a tunnel that goes all the way through the planet, through the very centre of the Earth's core, in a straight line. This tunnel is completely smooth and insulated, has a constant temperature, and is isolated from all outside elements (magma and molten metal and pressure and stuff).

Okay. So now let's say someone steps into this hole and falls down, or someone just drops a rock in or something. The person (or object) falls into the tunnel in such a way that they won't hit the sides; assume the person survives everything else from the fall.

What happens? I mean, obviously the person or object go down, but there's going to be a point where they fall past the centre of the Earth and gravity is reversed, right? And they're going to fall back down from that. Does the person just end up floating in the middle of the tunnel at the middle of the Earth?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I think you would eventually end up at the center
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Yeah I'd imagine they would but I'm no physicist.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by dann_blood
Does the person just end up floating in the middle of the tunnel at the middle of the Earth?

Yes. The center is where all gravity pulls in all directions with the same strength, that's where eventually his body will end up.

EDIT: Well of course the Earth's rotation and the Sun's gravity will shift the position slightly, but it's more or less the center.
I would assume they would do some kind of bobbing motion and or end up spinning.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There's a Tiny Toons clip where this happens but I can't find it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
lol, my high school physics teacher asked this question of us way back when. Why on earth are you asking it here?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
lol, my high school physics teacher asked this question of us way back when. Why on earth are you asking it here?

Maybe he is your high school physics teacher.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Dreadnought

Because it's 3 in the morning and I don't go to high school.

Quote by guitarxo
yeah i think they'd be stuck in the middle forever

They'd be so lonely
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Yeah, eventually you would end up motionless at the center, but it would be awesome until then!! Make the tunnel a vacuum to avoid air friction and you would build up some serious speed!! (28,440KPH)

What's interesting about the concept is that it need not go through the center to be useful, it can be a straight line between any two points on earth, and no matter where the points are, the travel time is always the same, about 42 minutes. Imagine the impact on borders and international boundaries if any point on earth were 42 minutes away...

There are plenty of Science Fiction stories that have proposed similar systems for intercontinental transportation.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 3, 2013,
is there air in the tunnel? this is an important question.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by dann_blood
\
They'd be so lonely

maybe a bunch of us should join them so they won't be lonely anymore
cat
Quote by whywefight
Related question: would this fall kill the person?

I wouldn't think so with the no pressure, no extreme heat, and no hitting the sides. They would just slowly decelerate
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, eventually you would end up motionless at the center, but it would be awesome until then!! Make the tunnel a vacuum to avoid air friction and you would build up some serious speed!! (28,440KPH)

What's interesting about the concept is that it need not go through the center to be useful, it can be a straight line between any two points on earth, and no matter where the points are, the travel time is always the same, about 42 minutes.

There are plenty of Science Fiction stories that have proposed similar systems for intercontinental transportation.

While it wouldn't be literal, that would be a form of time travel based on time zone differences.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't think it's possible. Shit is so dense in the core that material hard enough to keep walls up and stuff doesn't exist. So there is no answer.
Quote by WCPhils
I wouldn't think so with the no pressure, no extreme heat, and no hitting the sides. They would just slowly decelerate

the acceleration would probably be a bit uncomfortable. unless you're into skydiving or something, constantly falling would probably feel shitty.
Quote by BladeSlinger
While it wouldn't be literal, that would be a form of time travel based on time zone differences.

Actually, since you'd be living at the center of Earth's gravity, a house in the center of the Earth would act like a sorta time-machine, since time would pass slower in the center of the Earth than on the surface.

This already happens with satellites up in orbit, and GPS actually has calculations to compensate for the relative time difference.
Quote by Weaponized
I don't think it's possible. Shit is so dense in the core that material hard enough to keep walls up and stuff doesn't exist. So there is no answer.

Of course it's not possible....yet.

That wasn't the question.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Eastwinn
the acceleration would probably be a bit uncomfortable. unless you're into skydiving or something, constantly falling would probably feel shitty.

it's a free never ending rollercoaster with no chance of people puking on you. what's not to like
cat
Quote by Eastwinn

Oh yea, I would probably throw up like immediately
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by CoreysMonster
Actually, since you'd be living at the center of Earth's gravity, a house in the center of the Earth would act like a sorta time-machine, since time would pass slower in the center of the Earth than on the surface.

This already happens with satellites up in orbit, and GPS actually has calculations to compensate for the relative time difference.

Neat
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarxo
maybe a bunch of us should join them so they won't be lonely anymore

We can make it a reality TV show!

Quote by whywefight
Related question: would this fall kill the person?

Yeah I was thinking about asking that. Like, would the fall cause a rush of blood to the head or something?

Quote by Eastwinn
is there air in the tunnel? this is an important question.

I think so. Like, it's a straight tunnel, and completely insulated, so unless there's something that keeps air from going into the tunnel

Quote by Arby911

But... that would kill them?
Quote by Vornik
Quote by CoreysMonster

I'm familiar with the time/velocity relationship, but not time/gravity, can you elaborate?
Charles Darwin
Ask Ian about this. We how much he keeps digging himself deeper into a hole, he should probably have gone almost all the way through by now.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by CoreysMonster

So the further out we get into space, the faster time goes?
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Arby911
Of course it's not possible....yet.

That wasn't the question.

but like the question exists outside of reality. It's like "how long can we survive eating nothing but magic". Idk cause magic isnt real
Quote by dann_blood

I think so. Like, it's a straight tunnel, and completely insulated, so unless there's something that keeps air from going into the tunnel

But... that would kill them?

If there's air, simple air friction will cause them to burn up.

Needs to be a vacuum, we have suits that can protect from that, but 28,000+ KPH in atmosphere will melt steel...

Quote by WCPhils
Yea, that time difference stuff is really cool.

I'll be damned, surely I learned that at one time, yet couldn't recall it.

Getting old sucks!

Quote by Weaponized
but like the question exists outside of reality. It's like "how long can we survive eating nothing but magic". Idk cause magic isnt real

So because it isn't possible given current technology, it's not real?

Ok.....
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 3, 2013,
You would obviously die because the earth would spin and the tunnel would be be going "forward" not "down" and you essentially would be jumping out of a really fast moving car.
Quote by dann_blood
So the further out we get into space, the faster time goes?

It's easier to look at it the other way: The higher the gravity, the slower time gets.

This is one of the things that makes me sometimes wish I'd have studied physics. This stuff is so cool, I wish I could actually understand it.

But then I remember all the boring stuff you need to know first and am happy just to know the abridged version of these things.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 3, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
Oh yea, I would probably throw up like immediately

i'm also assuming that at most you'd experience 1 G. i know that sounds obvious, but consider that the center of the earth is very dense, and there is a huge layer of light rock that places us at a much farther radius from the majority of the mass than you would experience as you approached it in this hypothetical tube (if you're not privy, gravitational attraction depends on the mass of the two bodies as well as the distance between them).
Quote by guitarxo
"Hard Core"

Oh my god I was trying to think of something and couldn't and THAT'S BRILLIANT

I'll get in contact with some studio or some tv executive or something. You, find people to start digging!

Quote by CoreysMonster
It's easier to look at it the other way: The higher the gravity, the slower time gets.

This is one of the things that makes me sometimes wish I'd have studied physics. This stuff is so cool, I wish I could actually understand it.

But then I remember all the boring stuff you need to know first and am happy just to know the abridged version of these things.

I read a book a few months ago that had something similar in it, except it was a sci-fi kind of thing. The Woman Who Died A lot by Jasper Fforde.
Quote by Vornik
Page 1 of 2