I've got a solid 5 years+ experience playing guitar but I've mostly only dealt with cables, bought heavy gauge, searched for storage, changed them out when they shorted out, etc.

Hoping to collect a few opinions and stories good and bad about wireless guitar systems. Like, do most players start out with a cheap one and work their way up? Is there ever a time that its better to choose used over new? Or are they only for a certain type of player? Things like that
they're for anyone that doesn't want a cable.

i got mine used, but it was free. it's probably not something i'd typically buy used though, just my opinion.
I have had really good luck with Audio Technica wireless units. They are sturdier than most of the others i have tried, and you can get used ones for around $50.
i have a DR-1000 that costs me $45, and a Audio Technica Freeway Series ATW-201G that costs me $40.
I had to wait and watch, but got both on eb@y.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Last edited by kenshi1967 at Jun 3, 2013,
Wireless units are only worth the money if you're willing to drop serious bucks on maintaining a high-fidelity signal.

I've heard as a general rule of thumb, unless you're willing to shell out over a $1k, you can expect tone suckage.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I've heard as a general rule of thumb, unless you're willing to shell out over a $1k, you can expect tone suckage.

Not really.

Line 6 changed that with their G series wireless systems. They ****ing rule, seriously. Even the cheap G30 is great (it's actually the same sound fidelity system in all 3 versions in the line, just they have different features - More range, more channels, LCDs, different connections, etc).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really.

Line 6 changed that with their G series wireless systems. They ****ing rule, seriously. Even the cheap G30 is great (it's actually the same sound fidelity system in all 3 versions in the line, just they have different features - More range, more channels, LCDs, different connections, etc).

I don't know *that* much about wireless units, but you're telling me that you don't see (or hear, rather) any lack in tone? I seriously question that.... Tone gets worse and worse the farther it has to travel; I feel like all but the highest quality of wireless units would suck tone.

How much would the cheapest unit run, then?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

They're digital so it either perfectly replicates the signal, or drops out. Probably has an error tolerant protocol so it can correct for corrupted packets in realtime. Nah, I'd imagine the key problems with very cheap wireless systems might be latency, (I'd be hugely impressed if the latency is near-zero) battery life, range, build quality, the quality of the ADC in the transmitter, and the quality of the DAC in the receiver. Line 6 do a lot of digital processing gear, so they probably know what they're doing there.
Wireless units are getting really good, but the question from the first post that I think needs to be addressed is "do I really need one?"

Even the G30 is $300. That's a crapload of money for something that is replacing a cable. The only real advantage to a wireless is mobility, and the disadvantages are price, battery life, weight, and complexity. I think if you get to a point where you absolutely feel like you need a wireless, that's the time to look at one one. I would never suggest one to someone who is just interested in the idea, or is sick of cables, or isn't sure if it's for them.
Quote by Roc8995
Wireless units are getting really good, but the question from the first post that I think needs to be addressed is "do I really need one?"

Even the G30 is $300. That's a crapload of money for something that is replacing a cable. The only real advantage to a wireless is mobility, and the disadvantages are price, battery life, weight, and complexity. I think if you get to a point where you absolutely feel like you need a wireless, that's the time to look at one one. I would never suggest one to someone who is just interested in the idea, or is sick of cables, or isn't sure if it's for them.

Indeed. I think only very seriously gigging musicians should consider--and would benefit--from a wireless unit.

I mean, how often are you playing a stage where you have endless room to move around endlessly?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild