Hi there,

how do you play this note? Slur from a to g:

Is this done correcly? If not how should it be done then?
(Invalid video video code)

The same with this note: Slur from c to d:

(Invalid video video code)

Thanks in advance. Regards
Last edited by thadeusz at Jun 3, 2013,
Generally noted like that going from a higher note to a lower one you'd use a pull-off and the other way you'd use a hammer-on.

There are other ways though, the so-called "legato slide" is an option; slide from one note to another without picking the one at the other end. That would generally be noted with the glissando notation though; a line from one note to the other indicating the direction of the slide.

Look up some lessons on basic legato technique, they will do you more good than anything I can say on the subject will.

For the record though, your second video is wrong; you only need to hammer on the string, you don't need to pull-off from higher up again. You should only hear the two notes and nothing else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 3, 2013,
Thank you so much for have taken your time to answer me.

I always thought hammer ons would be noted like so (the tiny note):

How would you play the tiny note then?
That's a grace note, you play the note in grace note and then generally slide, pull-off or hammer-on the note adjacent to it. Since it goes from E to F in that notation you can play it like a slide / hammer-on
Last edited by Aukustus at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by thadeusz
Thank you so much for have taken your time to answer me.

I always thought hammer ons would be noted like so (the tiny note):

How would you play the tiny note then?

With any technique, the important part about that notation is that the small note, the grace note (also known as appoggiatura if you're being fancy) is so short it barely even exists. You play the grace note on the beat and as quickly as you can get to the other note. The whole thing still has the duration of the non-grace note though, the whole grace note/normal note thing in this case is still one 8th in length.

I will say this: be careful about getting technique mixed up with musical terminology. The notation refers to how the music should sound but does not necessarily dictate what technique you should use. It's perfectly possible to play with a legato sound and still be picking, just as it is similarly possible to play staccato with hammer-ons and pull-offs. Be aware of what the notation means in musical terms and aware of what options you have in terms of playing. Generally the standard techniques will do fine but don't confuse the two.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I will say this: be careful about getting technique mixed up with musical terminology. The notation refers to how the music should sound but does not necessarily dictate what technique you should use. It's perfectly possible to play with a legato sound and still be picking, just as it is similarly possible to play staccato with hammer-ons and pull-offs. Be aware of what the notation means in musical terms and aware of what options you have in terms of playing. Generally the standard techniques will do fine but don't confuse the two.

This 100%!

You could also play the above slurs with a stringbend, if you wanted. Musical notation doesn't show specific guitar techniques, for that you'll need tab (yes, it has it's uses...)