Page 1 of 2
Got this in about a week and a half ago, but I've been out of town and just got back today. Played around with it for a few hours and I'm in love. It's a '92, and it's the first SLO I've played without a depth control. TBH, I don't miss the depth control at all, at least through my Creamback loaded Diezel 412. More than enough low end for me, though obviously not ridiculous like a Herbert. I've never been able to understand the fizzy/bright comments I hear over on TGP about these either. I've got the master at 2 on the OD channel and no fizz at all.

Clarity out the ass as well. Silly note definition that's just about unheard of in other amps. The Bogner 100B below it comes close in that regard, I suspect because it's also got a set of DeYoungs in it, though it doesn't have near the treble content the SLO does, and it's certainly more modern sounding. Really the two are perfect compliments for each other. The SLO's mids are very much like a vintage Marshall, being focused in the high mid range, and it's got an extended treble response. The 100B has more low mid focus, and a subdued high end for smooth soloing, and it's also more compressed on the highest gain channel.

Clean channel is surprisingly good, though the 100B definitely has the edge there, if even just for the separate EQ. If the gain is up above 9 or so on the SLO's OD channel, there's some bleed through on the clean channel. The shared EQ kinda blows, but there's a surprisingly good balance. Could use a bit more bass response on the clean channel (and the SRV mod does just that, and I might add it eventually) but it remains clean and has a nice sparkle without ever being ice picky or harsh.

I'll be keeping it for sure, along with the 100B, THD Flexi 50 and the Diezel/Splawn cabs.

Wall of doom before it gets dismantled:

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Nice Matt.

No pedals?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Oldmonkeys
You know they make maps in colours other than Black right?
Black is a working man's amp. **** coloured amps, black is far more practical.

HNAD.
:chhers:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Oldmonkeys
You know they make maps in colours other than Black right?

I've got a grey one. Thinking about retolexing the SLO and Herbert in white. SLO because it would be hawt, Herbert because it would stand out when trying to sell it.

Quote by Ippon
SLO or OD 100 SE+?

Congrats!

Depends on what I want to do. SLO or PT100/OD100 Standard would be a better comparison. The SE(+) is much more modern fo sho. For clarity and dynamics, SLO wins. For versatility, the PT100/Standard win. The CAAs also have way better loops. But the high end/presence range is a bit fizzier, and they're certainly more compressed, especially in the low end. Both cut like crazy live (from experience with the Standard, I assume with the SLO's voicing) and have some sick upper mids.

Downside is that the CAAs are heavy as shit, and the weight is all to one side, which makes carrying them awkward. Plus the headshell is huge. SLO is so tiny and light, and perfectly balanced. Only thing that comes close in that regard is the CCV. 100B is relatively light as well, but still about 6-7 lbs heavier and a bit larger than the SLO/CCV. Anything is better than carrying a Diezel. Brigand is pretty damn big and heavy too, which is one reason it's getting sold.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Cathbard
Black is a working man's amp. **** coloured amps, black is far more practical.

HNAD.
:chhers:

What, no love for tweed?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by mmolteratx
I've got a grey one. Thinking about retolexing the SLO and Herbert in white. SLO because it would be hawt, Herbert because it would stand out when trying to sell it.

Depends on what I want to do. SLO or PT100/OD100 Standard would be a better comparison. The SE(+) is much more modern fo sho. For clarity and dynamics, SLO wins. For versatility, the PT100/Standard win. The CAAs also have way better loops. But the high end/presence range is a bit fizzier, and they're certainly more compressed, especially in the low end. Both cut like crazy live (from experience with the Standard, I assume with the SLO's voicing) and have some sick upper mids.

Downside is that the CAAs are heavy as shit, and the weight is all to one side, which makes carrying them awkward. Plus the headshell is huge. SLO is so tiny and light, and perfectly balanced. Only thing that comes close in that regard is the CCV. 100B is relatively light as well, but still about 6-7 lbs heavier and a bit larger than the SLO/CCV. Anything is better than carrying a Diezel. Brigand is pretty damn big and heavy too, which is one reason it's getting sold.

Try a 412 with EVM-12Ls with the CAAs!
Quote by Eppicurt
What, no love for tweed?

Actually, no. I love tweed Fenders as amps but I'm not impressed by the look of them apart from the nostalgia angle. Black is king, you can bounce it around in the back of the truck for years and it will still look good. Tweeds only look good if you want that beat up look - again, more of a nostalgia type of thing.
My 1960 has has a really hard life, even has a tear in the tolex here and there but on stage you can't tell. It can be filthy and nobody can ever notice. Black good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, no. I love tweed Fenders as amps but I'm not impressed by the look of them apart from the nostalgia angle. Black is king, you can bounce it around in the back of the truck for years and it will still look good. Tweeds only look good if you want that beat up look - again, more of a nostalgia type of thing.
My 1960 has has a really hard life, even has a tear in the tolex here and there but on stage you can't tell. It can be filthy and nobody can ever notice. Black good.

I guess I'm biased. I lubs my tweed.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I actually like the look of white amps but I wouldn't want one as a gigging amp. OK if it never leaves the house but just not practical for a working muso.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Eppicurt

you can find errything in 'Murica!!! ! ! ! !

and i tested the gem lights, purple haz teh toan.

NICE! Enjoy that SLO dude.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
oh my god! what the hell man?! those rigs are insane.

i think if i head to heave any i could rule out the THD and the deizel, but the bogner, SLO, or CEC? cant pick.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If I'm not mistaken you dominated the 2013 rig awards and now you go and get this? You're like the New York Yankees of this board!

HNAD!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by stonyman65
NICE! Enjoy that SLO dude.

Definitely will. Have gotten several hours out of it today. Loving it so far. Easy to record as well. Knocked up a quick clip for another thread at 1 on the master to prove a point. Will post here later.

Quote by ikey_
oh my god! what the hell man?! those rigs are insane.

i think if i head to heave any i could rule out the THD and the deizel, but the bogner, SLO, or CEC? cant pick.

The Bogner would probably be my choice if I could only have one, FWIW. Does a lot of stuff very well, and the effects loop is useable, if not fantastic. Brigand is cool, but I'm more into the hot rodded Marshall thing these days. Great effects loop on that one though, and it does a lot of stuff very well just like the Bogner, just with its own tonality.

Quote by evmac
If I'm not mistaken you dominated the 2013 rig awards and now you go and get this? You're like the New York Yankees of this board!

HNAD!

I don't do sports so I don't get that reference. But
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

That is so awesome. <3

Making me want a new amp, but I'm waiting for something with no release date or price to come out... The uncertainty kills me.

HNSLOD!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Nice matt

I passed up a Avenger last week, but it needed some work.

The wall of sound looks quite nice and loud
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What a stupidly awesome rig there!

Oh, and very nice SLO. Happy NAD!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I saw the thread and thought "Holy Shit someone's lucky" and then I saw who started it and I was like "Ah. Par for the course I guess"
Tasty arsed amp anyway man
What's the THD all about? What makes you want to keep it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Awesome. HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
You keep your practice space very clean.

NAd!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
What you need is a Peavey Vyper! haha

That is one hell of a wall of amps you have there.
Quote by Offworld92

+1

He never talks about that amp, but always says it's a keeper.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
absolutely awesome

Quote by mmolteratx
I've never been able to understand the fizzy/bright comments I hear over on TGP about these either. I've got the master at 2 on the OD channel and no fizz at all.

I've never been able to understand 90% of the comments full stop over at tgp

nor most comments (wherever) about fizz. especially when they then go and use a crappy distortion pedal and wax lyrical about how "amp-like" it is. Dude, you just tried an amp and didn't like it!

i also wonder how many of the people who complain about fizz were using a bog standard marshall cab with g12t75s those things'll make anything fizzy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92

Quote by tubetime86
+1

He never talks about that amp, but always says it's a keeper.

Well, the biggest reason I'll never sell it is that it was one of the last things my dad helped me buy before he died. But it's also a killer amp. There's a reason I haven't been flipping low-mid gain vintage style amps, and it's because the Flexi does all of those sounds better than just about anything else I've heard. Ask Min. He's kept his while everything else has been flipped as well. It's a stupid good amp.

Quote by Dave_Mc
absolutely awesome

I've never been able to understand 90% of the comments full stop over at tgp

nor most comments (wherever) about fizz. especially when they then go and use a crappy distortion pedal and wax lyrical about how "amp-like" it is. Dude, you just tried an amp and didn't like it!

i also wonder how many of the people who complain about fizz were using a bog standard marshall cab with g12t75s those things'll make anything fizzy.

Yea, I really just don't trust crap over there anymore.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

that is odd in the recording. the amp tone sounds great and nice playing as usual.

anyway who cares, you aren't selling the clip to anyone so.
I just realized that it's feedback. Had to move the interface off the top of the amp, and it's gone now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8021347/RoS%20SLO.mp3

Pardon the clams with the muting in the middle section. Volume is stupid low for this one.

Dude...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice tone. A little bit fizzy but still awesome possum.

Needs more RATT though
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2