Quote by satchfan9
What exactly do you get thaught on compisition class(college)?

How to spell composition.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 3, 2013,
There are many compositional techniques that are used when writing a piece of music. For instance, writing motifs in retrograde, or inverting them. You would also learn about the ranges and timbres of different instruments. And, on top of all that, you would probably have to learn and compose in standard musical forms like sonata allegro, rondo, fugues, etc.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Depends what type of composition. Here's the aims and objectives of my course (BA + MMus)

-Compose to an advanced standard for a variety of musical media and show an awareness of stylistic trends as appropriate to specific genres

-Adapt a range of presentational skills appropriate to their own compositional practice

-Demonstrate an understanding of the composer-performer relationship in terms of practicality

-Manage long-term musical thought in original patterns and form-building

-Engage with wider analytical and aesthetic positions regarding composition

-Interact creatively with original musical material in terms of its detail and development

Quote by Angusman60
And, on top of all that, you would probably have to learn and compose in standard musical forms like sonata allegro, rondo, fugues, etc.

I can't think of any contemporary course that teaches stuff like, you learn that stuff in analysis classes/on your own.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 3, 2013,
Quote by KG6_Steven
How to spell composition.

If you can read you'll notice that the title was well written, it was an error. Next time please, keep the comment to yourself if it isn't productive, thanks.
Quote by griffRG7321

I can't think of any contemporary course that teaches stuff like, you learn that stuff in analysis classes/on your own.

Good point. Probably has a lot to do with the curriculum, too. I went to a very traditional school.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
I got taught nothing, but I learnt a lot and grew exponentially as both a musician and a composer in the 3 years I've been there so far.
I got a lot better at composing after joining forces with a guy who writes a lot of indie-pop songs on his ukelele. I'm usually the type to write stupidly complicated prog stuff, but his approach of just thinking of something funny and putting some simple chords and lyrics to it helped me a lot to realise how simple a song idea can be. If you have a friend who writes a lot, ask if you can try and write something with him, and try and pick up some of his tricks
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by satchfan9
If you can read you'll notice that the title was well written, it was an error. Next time please, keep the comment to yourself if it isn't productive, thanks.

Easy, tiger. Lighten up a little. I was just having some fun with you. And yes, I did notice that you spelled it correct in the title.