hey guys:
I have a zoom G5 and ibanez GRG150 and play through one of the these amps:cort1 mx15r or marshall mg15cdr.
I already asked on a previous thread if playing through a better amp will help and the response was yes it will.
will I get a better gain if I played through a better amp or higher wattage.
As I read on many sites, the G5 have a really nice gain, but I really don't feel that, I get a really nice tone and gain but not really enough.
the point: If you have a distortion pedal with loads of gain, running through practice amp, will you get all the distortion that the pedal gives you? or the amp can't really handle it?
You'll get the same amount of gain. But it will inevitably sound better on a higher quality amp.

Having said that, 'higher quality' is subjective. What budget are we talking here?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'm not asking what amp should I buy, I only asked if I'll get a beter tone, anyway thanks!
Well this was a pretty pointless thread then. If you said you got your answer in a previous thread, why are you asking again?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
yes. you will. there are reasons why soldano and deizel etc cost about 4000 bucks. they are the highest quality products made for the best of everything. all the best components. best design etc. so you can play with huge amounts of gain and its still sounds crystal clear, all the notes ring out, harmonics pop out, all the sound you wish you could get with your favorite songs and your home guitar rig.

its just to most people, it doesnt make sense buying that. itsl ike buying a ferarri to drive to work when a BMW will do just fine.

even high end digital stuff like AXE FX is very high quality tone and still gives very "natural" sound. Kemper profiling amp is another.

tones that come out of high quality amps can never be replicated in a stomp box or multi effects. some get close with high end stomp boxes from wampler, bogner, mesa. cost you about 200-500 bucks, but they still are not the real deal.

putting a boss metal distortion in front of a fender hot rod....just doesnt do it. people buy that because they can only manage or afford a boss metal zone and not a 4000 soldano.

this is also why people are anal about thier overdrives. good overdrives can sound very natural. i am very surprised at my signa dive which i would be happy to use entirely for a crunch tone.

the higher gain you get, the harder it is to be good IMO. you can get a good OD pedal for 150-200. a good high gain pedal might cost you hundreds. a good blues amp might cost you 500+, perhaps 1000+. a top notch high gain amp might baseline at around a peavey for 600-1000 and be mid range at 1500-2000, high end at 2500-3000+

of course they is top notch anything. good blues amps custom built are thousands. but if you look around multi channel, high wattage, high gain high QUALITY amps are very expensive. there is a reason.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Corethron
Better is not always an improvement...it's a matter of taste too...

Errm what?

Better is an synonym of improvement. If it's not an improvement then it's not better...
Silverburst
Quote by Insanity ninja
Errm what?

Better is an synonym of improvement. If it's not an improvement then it's not better...

But is a Gibson Les Paul better than a Fender Telecaster?

I get your point (and agree with it to a certain extent), but I think the other point was that all things are subjective, while one person may think one thing, another person may think something different.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
while one person may think one thing, another person may think something different.

Exactly my good man! Perfect example of this is when artists are in a studio and plug their head into a old semi-broken cab
Quote by GaryBillington
But is a Gibson Les Paul better than a Fender Telecaster?

I get your point (and agree with it to a certain extent), but I think the other point was that all things are subjective, while one person may think one thing, another person may think something different.

Well yeah, but his point remains. Better is always an improvement, no matter how subjective "better" might be, by finding something better, you've made an improvement.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

If an Egnater Rebel and/or Epi VJ is better than your amp the answer is...no, the zoom od/ds will still sound like shit. However, with a better amp you wouldn't need the zoom's od/ds.
Quote by justaginger
Silly thread. Better amp will give you better tone.

Quote by Corethron
Better is not always an improvement...it's a matter of taste too...

Quote by Insanity ninja
Errm what?

Quote by SimplyBen
Well yeah, but his point remains. Better is always an improvement, no matter how subjective "better" might be, by finding something better, you've made an improvement.

4 posts on whether "better" means "better".

this thread delivers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So do you think 'better' means 'better'?

We need your definition too!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
"better" means "worse"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
'Better' means whatever I decide it means to me at this point in time...

As long as you agree with me, things will be fine. If you don't agree....well, you should know better!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin

i think what you mean is, "you "better" agree with me..."

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
now a better quality amp can give you the impression the pedal is putting out more gain for example: For non tube private jamming I will actually shove my pedalboard in front of a clean amp sim in POD FARM(just for headphone jamming)...my Dark Matter has a usable tone this way just for private use. Now when I hook my pedalboard up to my Traynor YCV40 amp, the Dark Matter becomes more responsive to my playing and seems to have some extra balls but its just the tube amp responsiveness that the amp delivers to the Pedal. Of course if you crank a tube amp with pedals you would get more gain because the tube amp is starting to breakup adding more distortion to the already distorted tone...

Just get a better amp already Crank It, make your ears ring, make your neighbors deaf, rock on! its good for you...except for the ringing ears part(wear protection!).