I'm kind of tired of my 6505+112, as I nowadays play a lot of different styles as opposed to extreme metal that I played when I bought it. I play genres varying from jazz and folk to death metal, and primarily I play progressive rock and metal. I'm looking for an amp that has a good clean channel and works well with effects, since I plan on using pedals for distortion and metal tones. And I've found these three used amps:
-Fender Blues Jr. for 350 Euros
-Laney TF200 for 150 euros
-Laney LC30 for 325 euros
These seem to be my best options. I'm looking for versatility and I'll probably use a multieffects pedal. My budget is 350 euros. If you have any stock amps that fit the price and my preferences let me know. The pedal I plan on buying is the Zoom MS-100BT, I've had a lot of positive feedback and I love the tone on youtube reviews, I think I'll stick with that. Thanks in advance
Does the budget include selling your 6505?

Honestly if you want versatility on a budget it's super hard to beat a Vypyr Tube 60. I wouldn't consider any of those amps 'metal' material.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Does the budget include selling your 6505?

Honestly if you want versatility on a budget it's super hard to beat a Vypyr Tube 60. I wouldn't consider any of those amps 'metal' material.

Probably, It all depends on if I get a summer job or not. I don't mind the "downgrade", If a cheaper amp suits me better than the 6505 I see no reason not to change it.

And for any metal tones, I'll handle that with effects. I've watched a lot of quality reviews on youtube and the MS-100BT has great distortion sounds.
I haven't looked into those amps and I'm not well-versed in those brands, either, but I would save some more money before you go throwing money at an amp. Maybe try and push your budget to more like $500 or $600. I know that you're talking Euros, but I'm assuming the exchange rate isn't too far off.

Anyways, if you're hell-bent on using pedals with a good clean channel, $500-$600 is probably going to get you a lot further than $350. This is probably the best way, in my opinion, to get great versatility on a budget. An amp that does great cleans+decent distortion pedals.

I hope I helped, if only helping you decide to push your budget a little further.
Quote by The.new.guy
I haven't looked into those amps and I'm not well-versed in those brands, either, but I would save some more money before you go throwing money at an amp. Maybe try and push your budget to more like $500 or $600. I know that you're talking Euros, but I'm assuming the exchange rate isn't too far off.

Anyways, if you're hell-bent on using pedals with a good clean channel, $500-$600 is probably going to get you a lot further than $350. This is probably the best way, in my opinion, to get great versatility on a budget. An amp that does great cleans+decent distortion pedals.

I hope I helped, if only helping you decide to push your budget a little further.

I think that the best way to go is using distortion pedals with good clean amps. And I'm not buying a better amp, I just want a different amp. And 500 dollars is pretty much 400 euros so I'm close:P Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to get those 600 dollars in a long time since I have zero income, so I just want to use the resources that I have to get closer to a more desired rig, even if it means buying cheaper and used gear.
Quote by AndyGray
Can you get a used Vox AC30 for that much money?

That would probably be the best thing that could happen, but there aren't any AC30's for sale near me, and those that are for sale somewhere else are too expensive also. As great as that would be I think it's impossible for me to find one.
Quote by AndyGray
Can you get a used Vox AC30 for that much money?

It'd be tough, but probably possible if you looked hard enough. This isn't a bad idea, if you can find one.

I'm assuming you mean this version?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-custom-ac30c2-30w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

EDIT: Nonetheless, it would definitely be best to get a good, clean TUBE amp with distortion pedals. Tube amps take any kind of pedal better, in general. Since I'm not exactly well-versed in the brands you're looking at, I'm not sure if those are tube or not, but used+tube is going to be the best idea, I think.

EDIT2: You might want to check out a Peavey Classic 30. It's essentially Peavey's take on the AC30. I had one, and it sounded amazing. I was stupid to sell it, really, but you could find a used one in your price range, I think.

EDIT3: An AC15 wouldn't be too bad, either. Without using it, I can only assume that it's the 30's little brother.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by The.new.guy

EDIT: Nonetheless, it would definitely be best to get a good, clean TUBE amp with distortion pedals. Tube amps take any kind of pedal better, in general. Since I'm not exactly well-versed in the brands you're looking at, I'm not sure if those are tube or not, but used+tube is going to be the best idea, I think.

All are I think that both the Laney LC30 and especially the Fender are great amps, I'm sceptic about the TF since the price is way too low for an amp of that quality.

Quote by The.new.guy
EDIT2: You might want to check out a Peavey Classic 30. It's essentially Peavey's take on the AC30. I had one, and it sounded amazing. I was stupid to sell it, really, but you could find a used one in your price range, I think.

I'll check it out, thanks
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by The.new.guy
Peavey Classic 30

Ohh yeah, forgot about these. I know somebody who had one & it was built like a tank!

INNNDDEEESTRUCTIBLE!!!
Quote by guitar/bass95
All are I think that both the Laney LC30 and especially the Fender are great amps, I'm sceptic about the TF since the price is way too low for an amp of that quality.

I'll check it out, thanks

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Quote by AndyGray
Ohh yeah, forgot about these. I know somebody who had one & it was built like a tank!

INNNDDEEESTRUCTIBLE!!!

I dropped mine down a small flight of stairs. I needed to replace a couple tubes, but it still worked!

Here's a question: Why don't you get a new amp for clean tones, an AB/Y amp switcher, and keep your 6505+? Seems like that wouldn't be a bad option at all, really. That way, you won't ever have to regret selling any gear later on. I've sold too much gear that I regret letting go of.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by The.new.guy
Hope you find what you're looking for!

I dropped mine down a small flight of stairs. I needed to replace a couple tubes, but it still worked!

I get to try all of the amps since the sellers live nearby, and I have heard so much good things about them that I'm sure they're perfect for my needs
Quote by The.new.guy

Here's a question: Why don't you get a new amp for clean tones, an AB/Y amp switcher, and keep your 6505+? Seems like that wouldn't be a bad option at all, really. That way, you won't ever have to regret selling any gear later on. I've sold too much gear that I regret letting go of.

This always needs to considered!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by guitar/bass95
I get to try all of the amps since the sellers live nearby, and I have heard so much good things about them that I'm sure they're perfect for my needs

But wasn't the 6505+ at one time perfect?

Based on your profile, you're not a yet. You may find your needs swing back when you get older. They may not. Just an experienced heads up.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
This always needs to considered!

Well, I'll never regret selling the 6505 I'm sure, and another thing is that I might not have enough money for a new amp without selling it. But thanks anyway, If I get a job I'll consider that

Quote by Shadowofravenwo
But wasn't the 6505+ at one time perfect?

Based on your profile, you're not a yet. You may find your needs swing back when you get older. They may not. Just an experienced heads up.

Well, it was when I was practically a Slayer tribute guitarist. And the reason I want a change is that I grew older, out of the metal purist age and I now respect a lot more different genres.
I think the Ampeg GVT52-112 is worth looking at.
In many ways it's very similar to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It has an excellent clean channel, and it takes effects pedals perfectly.

Plus, for some reason Thomann is selling them insanely cheap (link), while they're more expensive elsewhere.

In case you want to check it out, i posted a review about the amp here.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I think the Ampeg GVT52-112 is worth looking at.
In many ways it's very similar to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It has an excellent clean channel, and it takes effects pedals perfectly.

Plus, for some reason Thomann is selling them insanely cheap (link), while they're more expensive elsewhere.

In case you want to check it out, i posted a review about the amp here.

Thanks a lot i'll definitely look into that
You could buy a multi effects processor pedal like the zoom or a boss or digitech or a line 6 pod hd run it into a nice power amp and decent cab and have all your sounds at your feet everything kept nice and neat.
esp ltd ec 1000 vb
schecter blackjack atx c -1 aged white
prs se singlecut fully modded

peavey 5150 combo celestion hot 100 speakers
Quote by metalchris87
You could buy a multi effects processor pedal like the zoom or a boss or digitech or a line 6 pod hd run it into a nice power amp and decent cab and have all your sounds at your feet everything kept nice and neat.

This is a part of my plan. We have decent speakers down at my bands practice place thing and I have decent speakers at home. The MS-100BT only needs a speaker since it has good amp models, I could practically just buy any amp, unplug the amp from the speaker, plug the pedal to the speaker and I would be good to go.
Quote by guitar/bass95
This is a part of my plan. We have decent speakers down at my bands practice place thing and I have decent speakers at home. The MS-100BT only needs a speaker since it has good amp models, I could practically just buy any amp, unplug the amp from the speaker, plug the pedal to the speaker and I would be good to go.

Well, no. Not really. You would need a power amp of some sort to get any decent amount of volume out of it for band practice, gigs, etc. Unless I'm missing something on ZOOMs website, that is.

I've tried amp modeling before, and to be honest, unless you're going to get an Axe FX or something of that standard, it's really not worth it.
Quote by The.new.guy
Well, no. Not really. You would need a power amp of some sort to get any decent amount of volume out of it for band practice, gigs, etc. Unless I'm missing something on ZOOMs website, that is.

I've tried amp modeling before, and to be honest, unless you're going to get an Axe FX or something of that standard, it's really not worth it.

I've heard demos of this thing going straight into an audio interface, and yes I know it does boost the volume quite a bit but still it has some of the best amp models I've heard. I even asked Brett Kingman, who is one of the best pedal demoers on youtube about the modelling function, and he said that plugging it to a effects return of an amp will be an ideal way to use it. This of course uses the amps power as well, but since it has amp, pedal and cabinet modelling I think it'll do fine for home practice when used directly with a speaker. Of course, if I'd throw a gig or recording session I'd use a power amp, and I was going to use it with an actual amp anyway. Still, the pedal can be used to completely replace an amp if needed.
i can't imagine any pedal will have anywhere near as good a distortion as your 6505.

still, if you got the blues junior, you could a/b the amps and have nice cleans too. so it wouldn't be the end of the world when you realise its metal tones with pedals are mediocre at best...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i can't imagine any pedal will have anywhere near as good a distortion as your 6505.

still, if you got the blues junior, you could a/b the amps and have nice cleans too. so it wouldn't be the end of the world when you realise its metal tones with pedals are mediocre at best...

I know for sure that they are good enough And I don't think that I ever mentioned that the emphasis should be on metal tones. The reason I'm changing amps is because I want good clean sounds. I don't want to have a high gain scooped b00tal tones, I want good cleans with a bit clearer and brighter distortion than the 6505.
That zoom stomp is ok for effects, but the amp models aren't all that great sounding, very awkward to scroll presets as well. I don't think it can be used with their PC editor either like the G3/G5 units. You should check out some demo's by Brett Kingman on youtube of the Tech 21 character series pedals. Then in case if they are too expensive to get in Finland then perhaps look into the Joyo clones of those for less bucks, although reliability would be 50/50 with them hehe
fair enough
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitar/bass95
I've heard demos of this thing going straight into an audio interface, and yes I know it does boost the volume quite a bit but still it has some of the best amp models I've heard. I even asked Brett Kingman, who is one of the best pedal demoers on youtube about the modelling function, and he said that plugging it to a effects return of an amp will be an ideal way to use it. This of course uses the amps power as well, but since it has amp, pedal and cabinet modelling I think it'll do fine for home practice when used directly with a speaker. Of course, if I'd throw a gig or recording session I'd use a power amp, and I was going to use it with an actual amp anyway. Still, the pedal can be used to completely replace an amp if needed.
Just to be clear, that pedal will not drive a speaker, you still need a power amp. You could use a power amp pedal, like an EH 22 Caliber or 44 Magnum.