Page 1 of 4
Alright, so.

For as long as i can remember i have wanted to be in a band. I practice for as long as i can and dream about it all the time.

I've been in a few bands before but they always fall apart due to people focusing on university/work over being in bands despite claiming how much they 'love music'.

I put ads on the internet advertising that im looking for a band and dont limit it to just a certain genre. I keep it open.

I message all the musicians i know the see if theyre available. No luck.

TL;DR - am i doing something wrong? do i smell hideous? (probably). Kind of frustrating that its that hard to find a group of musicians that want to give it their all and give music a shot.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jun 4, 2013,
Call Ian. He's top notch.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by angusfan16
Maybe you're meant to be a solo artist

Hahaha. Don't worry i dont have axl rose/kerry king syndrome or anything. It's just seems far too hard to find people that are interested enough in music to give it a proper shot.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by BladeSlinger

I wish. He used to do laboring work in the house next door to me before he started 'vool and BoT. If only i was 10 years older eh?
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by BladeSlinger
Nah, the guy probably sucks at playing which is why no one wants to be in a band with him.

He plays a Schecter, so it makes sense.
Quote by SOADriff
Hahaha. Don't worry i dont have axl rose/kerry king syndrome or anything. It's just seems far too hard to find people that are interested enough in music to give it a proper shot.

I dunno if you play multiple instruments or not, but I recorded everything by myself before I ever found people to join my band way back in the day.

Try recording and then putting your stuff out there. If you build it they will come
Sail upon the open skies
You're probably just not working hard enough at finding a band.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by SOADriff
I wish. He used to do laboring work in the house next door to me before he started 'vool and BoT. If only i was 10 years older eh?
That was a joke.

He wa referrinf to me, and everyone hates me here.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
That was a joke.

I don't hate you. That's why I recommended you.

Nah, the guy probably sucks at playing which is why no one wants to be in a band with him.

Look at that, he simply can't accept mediocrity. Only the finest gear as well. He's definitely your guy.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
...because it's hard work, it probably won't pay well, and honestly is a bad move career wise? Honestly, most of the bands I love have people in them that have actual jobs, because without a job, it's hard to keep playing music. It sounds like you're the one with your priorities out of order. You honestly should place work before music in most cases, because you can have work without music, but you can't have music without work.

Maybe it's just because most of the people I know/jam with are able to do both work and play music, and for some reason everyone you know thinks it's one or the other, but from my point of view this isn't even a problem. The idea that you can forego college and a job to focus on music as a realistic means of income is old hat and honestly a terrible idea.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Schecter C-1 Exotic Star >>> Any other guitar I've ever played, even those $2000 and up. Seriously, just because a bunch of 14-15 y/o metalheads play it doesn't mean all of their models are useless, grow up ya mothalicka
Last edited by punkforlife93 at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
You're probably just not working hard enough at finding a band.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
That was a joke.

Possibly. I think i've given it a decent effort but you may be right.

And my bad thought it was a reference to the city i'm from.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by punkforlife93
...because it's hard work, it probably won't pay well, and honestly is a bad move career wise? Honestly, most of the bands I love have people in them that have actual jobs, because without a job, it's hard to keep playing music. It sounds like you're the one with your priorities out of order. You honestly should place work before music in most cases, because you can have work without music, but you can't have music without work.

Maybe it's just because most of the people I know/jam with are able to do both work and play music, and for some reason everyone you know thinks it's one or the other, but from my point of view this isn't even a problem. The idea that you can forego college and a job to focus on music as a realistic means of income is old hat and honestly a terrible idea.

Schecter C-1 Exotic Star >>> Any other guitar I've ever played, even those $2000 and up. Seriously, just because a bunch of 14-15 y/o metalheads play it doesn't mean all of their models are useless, grow up ya mothalicka

ssshhhh
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by punkforlife93

You make good points, but luckily i'm fully aware of this. Im aware that you need a job to make money and to live/function - but it's being able to put time into a band around this and still have fun at the same time that alot of people don't seem to be interested in.

You get me? :p
Quote by Mad Marius
I'm like that mostly because I find my university work infinitely more important than being in a band. Sure, it's nice being in a band and I do love music. When it comes down to it, it just isn't as important.
Get Ableton.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

It's not about hard work, it's about the experience you gain while you're having fun. Playing solo only nets you so much, playing in a band can be much more fun. My advice is, don't be so ambitious, have fun while you can.
Quote by angusfan16
I dunno if you play multiple instruments or not, but I recorded everything by myself before I ever found people to join my band way back in the day.

Try recording and then putting your stuff out there. If you build it they will come

+100

That's how Bulb, Acle, Tosin Abasi and Igor all got started. Say what you want about "djent", but these guys are all normal shmoes that wrote and recorded music by themselves until they got so popular that everybody wanted to be in their band.

If you want people to take you and the band seriously, you have to give them a reason to commit heavily to the band over much more promising things like university or work.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Look how helpful Ian is.

Ian knows a lot about hard work after all. He is a ditch digger, you know.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Ian knows a lot about hard work after all. He is a ditch digger, you know.

What a wholesome job.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Judging from your gear you want to join a ROCK BAND. Well let me tell you something, most people who play rock music only do so BECAUSE they are lazy, they use it as an easy way to get chicks and become popular.

Try joining a jazz trio or a fusion group if you want to meet the most dedicated and hard-working musicians you will ever encounter in your life. Rock and metal are backyard football, jazz is the NFL.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
Judging from your gear you want to join a ROCK BAND. Well let me tell you something, most people who play rock music only do so BECAUSE they are lazy, they use it as an easy way to get chicks and become popular.

Try joining a jazz trio or a fusion group if you want to meet the most dedicated and hard-working musicians you will ever encounter in your life. Rock and metal are backyard football, jazz is the NFL.
This is pretty much spot-on.

Only problem is, Jazz trios are uncommon in most areas that don't have a music school or are not big, major cities. Me, I live in the middle of nowhere and most musicians around here are only interested in playing breakdown-core or crappy generic dadrock covers.

And plus, you need to know music theory back and forth if you want to be taken seriously. Lose the Schecter while you're at it.
Ian has a partner in good advice now. Nifty.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hard working muscisians?
...i dunno man just doesnt make no sense to me

unless its jazz or classical
...maybe look for a cover /wedding band/whtever you call em band? if you want live playing experience
those guys work hard with having to know like 300 songs
Quote by SkyValley

What a load of buttdicks.
You know, I think the real answer to this thread is this:

Sell your musical equipment, go to college, get a job, contribute to society, and lose the whole "I wanna be in a rockband" attitude as soon as you can. Like, for real: you're not in high school anymore, it's time to lose the whole rockstar ego as soon as you can.

The real reason you can't find any contributing musicians is that they have moved on with their lives, and you haven't.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Sell your musical equipment, go to college, get a job, contribute to society, and lose the whole "I wanna be in a rockband" attitude as soon as you can. Like, for real: you're not in high school anymore, it's time to lose the whole rockstar ego as soon as you can.

The real reason you can't find any contributing musicians is that they have moved on with their lives, and you haven't.

Have you considered doing speaking tours at schools?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by punkforlife93

Yes den Exotic star mandem! I always kinda thought the star looked a bit tacky but they are kick ass guitars! So glad I got hold of one
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I think many musicians like Tarja,Kerry King,Geddy Lee,Lemmy of Motorhead would disagree with you.

I think many musicians like Tarja,Kerry King,Geddy Lee,Lemmy of Motorhead would disagree with you.
I'm not on Ian's side here, but naming a few names out of thousands who've tried and failed doesn't help your case.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Im having this same problem. It's hard to find people who genuinely want to play in a band. Most of them just say they want to, but never want to put in the time to actually get together.
Quote by rockingamer2
I'm not on Ian's side here, but naming a few names out of thousands who've tried and failed doesn't help your case.

You're right. Because i was reading something about how the band Anvil had a hard time getting a record deal,or how bands like Raven became irrelevant.
I don't know anyone who works hard at anything they do, anymore. Not just musicians.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by CoreysMonster
+100

That's how Bulb, Acle, Tosin Abasi and Igor all got started. Say what you want about "djent", but these guys are all normal shmoes that wrote and recorded music by themselves until they got so popular that everybody wanted to be in their band.

If you want people to take you and the band seriously, you have to give them a reason to commit heavily to the band over much more promising things like university or work.

>Calls Tosin Abasi "djent", as if he belongs with the rest of them with his prog metal songs structures

OT:
I'm actually going to be in the process of doing what Corey suggested this summer. I'll be building a recording PC and such. Right now, I'm restructuring several of my songs so they'll be ready to be recorded. Once I get my recording PC set up, I'll be recording a 5 song EP. (I'm basically rewriting 1 or 2 of the songs entirely.) But I'm pretty much a solo artist.
Granted, it'd be nice to be a full-time musician; it's just not realistic for me. I'll be graduating in about a year. I commute to my classes. I'm getting married after I graduate and get a job. I have so many demands on my time that music isn't the absolute top priority.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Or you could, ya know, do it for fun. And still prioritize a job and/or school.

Btw, mind loosening your asshole, Ian? Your ego's trying to fuck you. Oooops...did I type that out?

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Once I get my recording PC set up, I'll be recording a 5 song EP. (I'm basically rewriting 1 or 2 of the songs entirely.) But I'm pretty much a solo artist.

I know a dude in a cover band that has an entire studio in his basement, including a sound room. He makes his spending money playing covers at local venues, but what I respect about him as a musician the most for, is that he lays his own tracks down for everything on his own; drums, vocals, lead, bass. He's absolutely amazing. I think that is the difference between a musician, and a true artist.

I respect the band thing but to be able to lay down all of your own tracks, I think really puts you at a different level. Put that together with a hard work ethic and the only way to fail would be to choose to.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

What this really means: Ian is mad because he has realized that he is not as good as he thought he was and so he has decided to give up and so he wants to convince other people to give up so they can't be successful where he failed and also because he judges people on his own values, meaning that he assumes that everyone that plays music is just some dumb kid that wants to be a rockstar.
Quote by theogonia777
What this really means: Ian is mad because he has realized that he is not as good as he thought he was and so he has decided to give up and so he wants to convince other people to give up so they can't be successful where he failed and also because he judges people on his own values, meaning that he assumes that everyone that plays music is just some dumb kid that wants to be a rockstar.

He's trying to be helpful, leave him alone.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 4