I'm talking as far as aesthetics and playability is concerned. I'm in the process of building a guitar with my uncle, it's a double cutaway and I thought it would look really cool and unique with 3 humbuckers as opposed to 2. I have heard that having 3 makes it a little harder to play, is this true? what are your thoughts?
Don't know about "harder to play"... maybe if you have the middle pickup jacked up too high it could get in the way of your picking. I have a Strat-Style guitar with two full sized Humbuckers and a Single coil sized bucker in the middle. But this is my project guitar that is getting a whole bunch of mods to create a plethora of different tones. My two main guitars have only two... I find that to be a bit easier to dial in a particular sound...

Back to aesthetics though... personally, I don't like three full sized humbuckers.
I hear a lot of guys complain about the middle pickup getting in the way of their picking, but about 1/3 of my electrics- including my first- have 3 pickups of some kind. (Some are HHH, some are SSS, some are HSS.) So it doesn't bother me at all.

And I, too, think more pickups = more options = better.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 4, 2013,
3 humbuckers looks stupid IMO. It's just too much. Always hated the black beauty.

I have a HSH Ibanez and I lowered he middle single as low as it will go because I hit it when picking sometimes.
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

My very first guitar was HSS and the middle pickup never got in the way. I'm just worried that HHH will take up too much space. Tonally I'm willing to put in the effort and time to figure out how to dial in good tones. As shallow as it sounds, the main reason I want all 3 is for how it looks. But I don't want to build something that will be hard to play. It seems like everyone is pretty evenly split between it getting in the way.

If I'm good with my HSS, should I be good with this?
I can't see why not.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
even single coil gets in a way with my picking, i can imagine what would happen with hambucker instead, but i guess you can learn not to pick deep or smth
Quote by joeker19lc
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

If I'm good with my HSS, should I be good with this?

I would guess... if you are already comfortable with the Single in the middle, the humbucker really won't be that much different... Unless, you have trained your hand to pick directly in the gaps between the middle position and the neck and bridge... A middle humbucker will definitely narrow those gaps.
It all depends on how you pick. I don't mean alternate or economy, I mean where you pick, more or less. If you pick where your humbucker would be in the way, then it'd be in the way. I'm sure there's a way that you could pick to where it wouldn't be in the way.
i have an HSH guitar and the middle single coil never got in the way i did lower it some so i dont hit it but also becasue i accidentaly over wound it and its a bit loud but if you like how it looks and want th etona options adjusting your techniue for it shouldnt be too difficult if youre already used to playing with a single coil in the middle
There more options the better IMO. I love tweaking and being able to get a bunch of different sounds with my 5 way selector, 3 pickups and 2 tone knobs.

Having the pick-up in the middle has never bothered me as far as playability is concerned.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Jun 4, 2013,
I'm no expert on pickups.

But don't the magnets put strain on the string vibrations, therefore adding more magnets would reduce the sustain and tone of the guitar?
Quote by GonzoBeatz

But don't the magnets put strain on the string vibrations, therefore adding more magnets would reduce the sustain and tone of the guitar?

I have never heard this, but I'm guaranteeing you that I am even less of an expert on pickups, does anybody have any knowledge about this?
Quote by joeker19lc
I have never heard this, but I'm guaranteeing you that I am even less of an expert on pickups, does anybody have any knowledge about this?

magnetic pull CAN affectthis but in most cases its pretty negligable
I know he's a douche, but I've heard Phil X say it a few times. Hence why he only uses one pickup in his Sig.
Quote by GonzoBeatz
I know he's a douche, but I've heard Phil X say it a few times. Hence why he only uses one pickup in his Sig.

realy?
the draw backs of only having one pick up are MUCH greater then the drawbacks of having two pick ups ulling on the stirngs

ive playued with many pick ups and such and ive found that unless its singlecoil with super strong magnets really close to the strings the sustain loss isnt much compared to other factors such as gain or volume or even th eugitars set up
Quote by GonzoBeatz

In theory.. yes. A stronger magnetic force will pull the strings more, thus stopping the vibrations more quickly. However, the types of nut, bridge and wood of the guitar will have way more of an affect on sustain than the strength of the magnet.