My price range is no more than $1000
Is there any specific laptops that I could buy, not build, that is good for recording?
I was going to buy a PreSonus Usb Recording System

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-44VSL-USB-2-0-Recording-System-107077943-i2083000.gc

I have no room for a desktop and we will be recording in our garage

All I want is suggestions for good laptops. No discussion..
Quote by PSimonR
MacBook Pro

Unless you want to go a few years back or get one of the puny 13 inch screens, you aren't going to find a decent MacBook Pro for $1000

If you're looking to spend a grand, I'd look into the new Haswell Core i7 Laptops hitting the market. They start at $1100ish which is $100 more than your looking to spend but totally worth it. They're much faster than the previous generation i7 Processors. If not, hit up your local Best Buy since a lot of the 3rd Gen i7 laptops are going clearance.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You can easily get a used macbook pro for that price. PC's will leave you banging your head against the wall.
Quote by radkins2
You can easily get a used macbook pro for that price. PC's will leave you banging your head against the wall.

only if you're technologically stupid. And Lockwolf did say back a few generations (i.e. used) would work.

Get the Chromebook Pixel, I hear they're amazing for audio
Don't actually get a chromebook pixel, they're terrible for price/performance
To be honest if you're only going to record real instruments and keep away from sampled libraries for orchestras, etc. then having a 4gb ram and i5 processor is already more than enough. That, plus may be a 1tb HDD, and also a nice audio interface. Can't really comment on the presonus ones though.
Agreeed with V.

Just for audio recording even an old 2009 core 2 Duo system with 3g+ ram would be sufficient.

Do u have more info for future use? Like maybe Music education, or Graphical stuff/gaming w/e.

I mean if not, then maybe you could invest less in the laptop and buy better mics/cables etc.

Tell us this.

Do you want to record Simultaneously?

Do you want to record a drummer? If so, does he play lot of funky intricate stuff, or basic rock/metal?

Do you want to record the guitar(s) DI or mic an amp?

Do you have a singer?

Do you have any mics already? (if using them)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Just for audio recording even an old 2009 core 2 Duo system with 3g+ ram would be sufficient.

But why would you want to go for an older Core 2 Duo system when you're buying something that's already 4 generations behind? Hell, even the 3rd Gen Core i3 processors outperform the Core 2 Duos and that's as low as you'd want to go when it comes to a new laptop.
I've got a 13" Macbook Pro, i5. It's been excellent for recording and the most stable laptop I've owned.
OP: This is how you will go about searching for the right laptop.

1: What is your user level? If you are techy and can forgo customer service and a great warranty you can get a better deal with brands like acer, if you are the opposite then you can save a headache with brands like Asus which are sturdier and have much better support but as such are a bit more expensive.

2: You have determined your budget so you can easily use this to determine is a laptop fits your criteria

3: Will you be moving around a lot with this? This will take into account what size you want (15.6" works for me, i use my laptop for remote recording). Also if you are clumsy and plan on bringing the laptop to different places you may also consider going the route of asus

4: Specs: Here is where we can tell you what to look for.
Processor: as everyone has said an i5 or i7 will fit your needs. I have a core 2 duo and ive never had any problems recording full bands at once. my desktop is an i5 3.3 and its fantastic.
Hard Drive If your laptop will be your only recording computer then you will definitely want a 7200RPM hard drive. So make sure you look at this, a 5400 or 5900rpm drive will read and write slower. You can also opt to remove your disk drive and put a hard drive caddy and add a solid state drive for even better performance. Don't get sucked into buying an expensive laptop with a huge hard drive, the size is not as important as the speed. External storage is cheap and easy to use so you are better off with a smaller faster drive and buying an external hard drive than a slower bigger drive.
RAM Dont worry too much about the speed of the ram. At least 4gigs of ram, maybe 8 if you plan to use a lot of VSTis.
Video Card Optional, this will increase the cost of the laptop. You can easily disable the graphic imaging of the sound waves to reduce visual processing. If you will use the laptop for gaming as well you can consider a dedicated but otherwise stick to integrated.
Quote by kidshredder667
My price range is no more than $1000
Is there any specific laptops that I could buy, not build, that is good for recording?
I was going to buy a PreSonus Usb Recording System

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-44VSL-USB-2-0-Recording-System-107077943-i2083000.gc

I have no room for a desktop and we will be recording in our garage

All I want is suggestions for good laptops. No discussion..

I think Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 is a great choice for recording and multimedia, or you can go with Apple Macbook but the price is a litle high

^I think you are the craftiest Spambot I've ever seen. Check the original post he quoted then the quote and you'll see it.

Though, the Y500 is a good choice for a laptop. It was my first choice till I was able to raise my budget and get the one I've got now
Quote by Chaosinborn

Hard Drive If your laptop will be your only recording computer then you will definitely want a 7200RPM hard drive. So make sure you look at this, a 5400 or 5900rpm drive will read and write slower. You can also opt to remove your disk drive and put a hard drive caddy and add a solid state drive for even better performance. Don't get sucked into buying an expensive laptop with a huge hard drive, the size is not as important as the speed. External storage is cheap and easy to use so you are better off with a smaller faster drive and buying an external hard drive than a slower bigger drive.

^ Very important.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.