Hi everyone, you guys give great advice so I was wondering if you could help me out-

Budget Would prefer not to go over 1k
Genres Mostly classic-ish rock, occasionally hair metal or pop-punk stuff. Some blues as well
New or Used New
Home or Gig Both! Needs to be loud enough for small/medium venues and jamming. To give you an idea, I am replacing a Crate VTX212.
Closest City I am in Northern Virginia, USA
Current Gear I use an American Stratocaster and a cheapo-but-good Fender Starcaster modified with high output humbuckers from GFS. I have a DS-1 distortion pedal and Vox wah

So far models like the Peavey Classic 50 or Valveking look like they'd be good choices. I also played a Hot rod Deville and REALLY dug its cleans. So far I'd been thinking of purchasing that amp and then using either my DS-1 or a new distortion pedal to handle higher gain stuff. But what amps would you all suggest I look at? Thanks a lot
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
how often do you play with distortion? the hrd does have pretty nice cleans, but if you play distorted a lot, there are amps with far better distortion channels and almost as nice cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe take a look at some of the Egnater's, both the tweaker 40 and the Rebel 30 would suit your needs pretty well.
For 1k you really have a lot of options. While I personally like the Valveking, I wouldn't suggest it on that budget.

HRD would work fine with a few pedals to round out the sounds you are looking for, but as Dave noted is probably not the best choice. A DS-1 wouldn't be my go-to pedal though, at least not stock.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
One of the most impressive classic rock amps I've heard is the Evil Robot C30. The Peavey Classics seem really good too but something draws me to the Delta Blues 1x15 over the Classic 30/50 even though they use the same circuits. If you get the Classic, I think the Classic 50 410 is the better choice. I also like the Carvin V3M. Those are my preferred combos that I think you should check out.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
how often do you play with distortion? the hrd does have pretty nice cleans, but if you play distorted a lot, there are amps with far better distortion channels and almost as nice cleans.

I play with distortion around 50% of the time. I don't play crazy death metal gain levels; I would say the highest level of gain I use is for is Slash's GnR/Velvet Revolver tones and on the pop-punk side SR-71 or All American Rejects. More of a punchy sound than dark and scary.

I really appreciate the suggestions so far. I noticed that many of you are suggesting 30w amps with only one 12" speaker. Would this be loud enough to do small/medium gigs or jam with a loud drummer? I'm used to playing with the Crate VTX212, which I believe is 120w (solid state).

Again, thanks so much for all your input!
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
30 watts should be fine. 30 watt valve is a lot louder than 30 watt solid state. I'd go for a Marshall DSL401 (I use the old model, I'm not sure about the new one) but it has great cleans as well as crunch. It should suit all of your styles fine. I'm guessing things are probably different in America, but you can get them in the UK for about £300 second hand, they often come up
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
The watts in a tube amp don't really correspond to loudness. A lot of tube amps are rated RMS which pretty much means clean watts rather than total watts. When everything is on 10, you're likely pushing way more than the advertised wattage. Tube amp wattage is more associated with headroom. Wattage differences don't have much effect in the overall volume. The reason a lot of people are recommending lower wattage amps is because a lot of classic rock got their tones by pushing non-MV amps. It's simply easier to push the power amp on a lower wattage amp.
I recently got myself an Orange Rocker 30 and It's drop dead fantastic!
Tiny little 1x12 combo with a Vintage 30 in there and is huge sounding.

It's an amp basically made for classic rock and screams classic rock to hot rodded jcm800 tones. It's a no frills amp without an effects loop and reverb but that's not an issue for me, might be for you though.

The clean channel is pretty damn nice but lacks eq controls. I threw an ancient DOD eq pedal in front of it, problem solved. Sweeet beautiful sparkly cleans.

I would really take a look, I think they go for well under a grand used in the US.

EDIT:
You say you need power, I had a Marshall TSL 601 (60w 1x12 combo) before and a Peavey Classic 50 and this dude easily overpowers the Marshall and is on about par in volume with the C50. This thing is honestly ridiculously loud. With the gain on around 6-8 and master on 4 my windows start shaking.
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by Dr. Guitar
I play with distortion around 50% of the time. I don't play crazy death metal gain levels; I would say the highest level of gain I use is for is Slash's GnR/Velvet Revolver tones and on the pop-punk side SR-71 or All American Rejects. More of a punchy sound than dark and scary.

kustom coupé (if you can still find one, i think they've been discontinued) or traynor ycv40 or 50b would probably be worth a look. as arby says, i've quite liked the valveking when i've tried it, but you can do better for your budget (even if you don't totally want to blow all of it).

i'd probably hang onto the ds1- again, i agree with arby, it wouldn't be my first choice, but just to have another option it's probably worth keeping (and probably not worth forking out for another distortion pedal since odds are the amp's distortion will be better).

An overdrive to use as a boost would be worth considering, though. probably a tubescreamer clone (digitech bad monkey?) or a boss sd1. or something more transparent might be worth considering (digitech screamin blues is probably the best widely-available one on a budget).

or better yet, both they're pretty cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I recently got myself an Orange Rocker 30 and It's drop dead fantastic!
Tiny little 1x12 combo with a Vintage 30 in there and is huge sounding.

It's an amp basically made for classic rock and screams classic rock to hot rodded jcm800 tones. It's a no frills amp without an effects loop and reverb but that's not an issue for me, might be for you though.

Always the Rocker 30.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The 36' Coupe would be perfect for you.

It has fender Blackface cleans, and a peavey classic type distorted channel.

I'm actually trying to sell mine now... Too band your not in Canada
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by SimplyBen
Always the Rocker 30.

I can't seem to find new models for sale, has this amp been discontinued? If so is there an equivalent model out now that sounds just as awesome?

Quote by Dave_Mc
as arby says, i've quite liked the valveking when i've tried it, but you can do better for your budget (even if you don't totally want to blow all of it)

I noticed a couple of people in this thread have said they liked the Valveking but wouldn't recommend it with my budget. Does this mean the Valveking does not sound as good as the other amps you suggest checking out or is the Valveking a good sounding amp period? If the Valveking is a good amp I wouldn't mind saving some of the budget for an effects pedal or two down the line
Quote by Underjoggle

Quote by Eddie4President
I know you want new, but you can get a used Mesa Mark III, Mesa DC-3,Marshall JCM2000 DSL401, Vox AC30 used under your budget.

If you need to go new Vox AC15, Bad Cat Cougar 15, Jet City JCA2212, Egnater Rebel 30, Jet City JCA 5012, Marshall SL-5
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dr. Guitar
I can't seem to find new models for sale, has this amp been discontinued? If so is there an equivalent model out now that sounds just as awesome?

It has been discontinued. The th30 replacee it. It sounds damn good but different. It has more gain, eqonclean channel and is more suited for higher gain and modern rock. If you can find one it's worth a look but I love my rocker 30
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by Dr. Guitar

I noticed a couple of people in this thread have said they liked the Valveking but wouldn't recommend it with my budget. Does this mean the Valveking does not sound as good as the other amps you suggest checking out or is the Valveking a good sounding amp period? If the Valveking is a good amp I wouldn't mind saving some of the budget for an effects pedal or two down the line

it's not as good. it's "good for the money" and pretty versatile, but it's a jack-of-all-trades, it ideally needs some mods to sound its best, and if you have more money you can do better, basically. personally i wouldn't cheap out on the amp to afford more pedals- that's like buying a cheape/worse car so you can afford a spoiler or nicer rims or colour-coded bumpers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?