can someone point me in the direction(links)
for the various tunings for a 7 string and the gauges of strings used.
Thank you.
With gauges, go for the ones you use with 6 strings and then try to find that right 7th string.
Standard tuning is BEADGbe and then there's tons of different tunings. The ones I've found any songs in are Drop A (just drop the B to an A) and the standard and drop in half step, whole step or whatever up and down.
Also there's a tuning I like to refer to as "double drop" o "ADAD" tuning which means you drop both the lowest strings so instead of standard drop A you have ADADGbe.
Of course there's many more ways to tune a 7-string, for instance there's also open tuning for 7 string etc. but I haven't really experimented with those.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
There's the sevenstring.org forums.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Quote by gtrwhacker
Good Idea.
But if Google was all i had to do,then I wouldnt even need to go to this forum.

Actually, going to another forum wouldn't be a bad idea. The above-mentioned sevenstring.org would be a great place to get information on 7-string tunings. Generally speaking, sevens will be tuned to the same as a standard guitar (and using the usual string gauges) for the top six strings, with an added B at the bottom end.

As with any guitar, there's a wide variety of tunings that CAN be done, and a wide variety of strings that can be used, but since you haven't indicated what you're trying to do with a 7, there's not a lot we can do for you.

If you're going to be doing a lot of downtuning, you may want a longer scale (say, 27" or 28") than the usual 25.5".

A 24.75" scale 7-string guitar is going to be largely mud in the bottom end, with difficult note definition. Think of the difference between a spinet piano and a 9' grand. With the spinet, the bottom five notes sound almost identical in pitch. With the 9' grand, those same five notes ring out with great differentiation. All due to scale. The longer the scale, the better.
Quote by dspellman
Actually, going to another forum wouldn't be a bad idea. The above-mentioned sevenstring.org would be a great place to get information on 7-string tunings. Generally speaking, sevens will be tuned to the same as a standard guitar (and using the usual string gauges) for the top six strings, with an added B at the bottom end.

As with any guitar, there's a wide variety of tunings that CAN be done, and a wide variety of strings that can be used, but since you haven't indicated what you're trying to do with a 7, there's not a lot we can do for you.

If you're going to be doing a lot of downtuning, you may want a longer scale (say, 27" or 28") than the usual 25.5".

A 24.75" scale 7-string guitar is going to be largely mud in the bottom end, with difficult note definition. Think of the difference between a spinet piano and a 9' grand. With the spinet, the bottom five notes sound almost identical in pitch. With the 9' grand, those same five notes ring out with great differentiation. All due to scale. The longer the scale, the better.

My 24.75" scale 7 is very tight and articulate, even in lower tunings, So I have to disagree. I also have an 81-7/707 pickups combo in the bridge and neck respectively. It isn't "all due to scale" theres more than one factor on note definition. Scale length, string gauges, tension, pickups, etc.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
My 24.75" scale 7 is very tight and articulate, even in lower tunings, So I have to disagree. I also have an 81-7/707 pickups combo in the bridge and neck respectively. It isn't "all due to scale" theres more than one factor on note definition. Scale length, string gauges, tension, pickups, etc.

"All due to scale" referred to pianos, Charvell1995. Ain't no pickups in a grand pianny.

That said, all else equal, a longer scale will have more note definition at the bottom end than a shorter one. Single coil and stacked humbucking pickups will have more note definition than side-by-side humbuckers. This is why they make 27, 28 and 30" scale seven, eight, nine and 10-string guitars. This is also why they make multi-scale (fan fret) guitars. This is also why they make 34" and longer basses.
Quote by dspellman
"All due to scale" referred to pianos, Charvell1995. Ain't no pickups in a grand pianny.

That said, all else equal, a longer scale will have more note definition at the bottom end than a shorter one. Single coil and stacked humbucking pickups will have more note definition than side-by-side humbuckers. This is why they make 27, 28 and 30" scale seven, eight, nine and 10-string guitars. This is also why they make multi-scale (fan fret) guitars. This is also why they make 34" and longer basses.

I'm aware, but you were using the scale as an example on a guitar as 24.75 being very muddy. It's not, I can vouch for that. Which was my point.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by Charvel1995
I'm aware, but you were using the scale as an example on a guitar as 24.75 being very muddy. It's not, I can vouch for that. Which was my point.

Excellent. Good that you've got one in that scale that isn't muddy. My experience has been that most are, which is why it's a bit unusual that you find a seven in that scale any more. Mind if I ask what size B string you have on it, and where you're tuned?
Quote by dspellman
Excellent. Good that you've got one in that scale that isn't muddy. My experience has been that most are, which is why it's a bit unusual that you find a seven in that scale any more. Mind if I ask what size B string you have on it, and where you're tuned?

It's just a stock Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7. It's based on his Gibson Les Paul Custom. They trie to keep as true as possible to the LP

I've yet to break out my callipers and check the gauges, but it feels not much thicker than my 52 currently on my Tele. I'll break them out tomorrow if I can find them and report back..

Currently It's in ADGCFAD

I tried Drop G#, Drop A, Drop B for an All Shall Perish tune, G#, A, A# and obviously standard. And they all sounded clear to me. Drop G was the breaking point for me really. But I don't listen to much lower than that.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...