So I'm a Bass amateur having played on my friends ESP and another's Fender P and having played guitar for 10 years, I essentially want to play Bass because its better. After plenty of research and suggestions from my previous thread and plenty of playing around I've narrowed down my choices... I like versatility and I want to be open to as many musical genres. I want something I can learn quick on for gigging and that's gonna' last. Aesthetics, colour don't bother me either. Heres my choices that I felt comfortable with, let me know what you think or you would suggest - Cheers!

Yamaha RBX4-A2
Hagstrom Viking
Hagstrom FXB-200
Warwick Corvette
Squier / Fender Jaguar
Fender Standard P
With all of them it was the same really - I could apply what I already know to different genres so versatility, I liked all the sounds equally, its just hard to decide, whenever Ive played guitar all the bassists have Fenders / Squiers so I cant really get a good opinion out of them haha, so Im curious what others think / recommend to sway my decision, thanks!

Note: I mostly play Indie and Blues / Rock, but Ive jammed with a metal group and asked to help with some folk stuff - so you can see why I want versatility haha!
I've got a Yamaha that I got used a couple years ago. Plays well and I couldn't be happier with it. Having said that:

Quote by jumpaside
Never go wrong with a fender p-bass
Squier is decent enough, but it won't do in the long run. Get good gear right away.

EDIT: Almost forgot. I also have a Yamaha RBX, though it's a five string. If you do want the price to stay low, I would recommend the Yamaha. They play very well, and deal with damages well.

And they look sexy.

(I say this having no knowledge of the other basses you mentioned, of course.)
Last edited by Oyface at Jun 4, 2013,
I may be called a bit of a fanboy, but I'd say that you can't get better versatility than with an Ibanez SR series. I can play anything from metal, to folk, to music for church, bluegrass, anything really and it sounds great.
The Hagstrom Viking by a country mile, I play a Hagstrom Beluga IIF (the viking's bigger brother) and it is the most versatile bass I own/have ever played.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by jnesbitt92
With all of them it was the same really - I could apply what I already know to different genres so versatility, I liked all the sounds equally, its just hard to decide, whenever Ive played guitar all the bassists have Fenders / Squiers so I cant really get a good opinion out of them haha, so Im curious what others think / recommend to sway my decision, thanks!

Note: I mostly play Indie and Blues / Rock, but Ive jammed with a metal group and asked to help with some folk stuff - so you can see why I want versatility haha!

What bass was more comfortable for you? Weight? Neck shape? How the body sits on you? I'm a Warwick guy through and through, I find them versatile, the neck is perfect for me, and the way it sits on my body sitting or standing gives me great access. They're also built like a brick shithouse. The Hagstroms mentioned I can't stand, personally. They don't feel right to me. But that just shows that you've got a decision to make. You've already tried them and only you know how you want a bass to feel. Threads like this really just turn into people recommending their favourite basses or the basses they own, which isn't really guiding you to the right instrument for you. I do find it hard to believe that you liked all the sounds equally, because they all sound very, very different. It might be worth trying them all again and being as critical of them as possible.
In terms of weight, the Warwick easily, Neck shape was the Hagstrom and the Yamaha for how it felt with me. In terms of the sound I did struggle largely as though Ive played based my experience is poor so in fairness I think I need another day of playing around. Personally, the Warwick Corvette and the Yamaha probably stood out most, and I think it will come down between them. Its always good though to get other opinions, I find on here Ibanez seems to be popular especially on my last thread, yet my friends tend to slate them! Bu thank you for your help! Ill definitely head back to the drawing board Much appreciated!
See? With a couple of questions, you've effectively narrowed things down to three instruments, based on YOUR experience with them, so you should end up with the best possible bass for you. Yay!

Out of interest, do you know if the Warwick has an active preamp? If it does, you can pull out the knob closest to the pickups and turn it into a passive bass, which would be good to play around with.
I'd say go with the P-Bass or the Corvette. I loved my P-Bass when I had one, and Warwick never fails to impress.
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
heh heh, looks like there's at least one fan of every bass on this thread... hard luck for threadstarter.....

my advice, stick to what you have played till date... fender P or J would do just fine.... of course all the basses on the list are fine for any learner bassist, but i have something for that nice soft tender maple squier fretboard, feels so yummy in my fingers, ha ha ha
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Jun 11, 2013,