*I do not think this belongs in the "Gaming" thread because it's about overall price points rather than the video games themselves, but if anyone feels this needs to be moved please inform me.

In essence, I've scoured the interblag (thank you, XKCD) for a civil debate about console and PC pricing, but to my dismay I have found very little. I need your assistance, UG!

A friend and I got the ball rolling on this ever since we heard about the release of the Xbox One (or "XBone" as it's been so affectionately dubbed) and the PS4. What we determined was that this debate-turned-debacle we've seen on every internet forum almost always boiled down to one question: Do people not realize how close in prices consoles and 'gaming' PCs really are?

Assumptions and generalizations will have to be made. Obviously, we do not yet know the definitive price of either next-generation console and PCs can range from $400 to $40,000 so please bear with. Mine only cost $750, but for reference we'll use $800-1000 as a price point for user-built PCs.

Consoles are estimated to be $350-400 at the minimum (subsidized due to game prices and subscription fees). A wireless controller costs $50 (either system). A game costs $60. Xbox Live costs $60/year. Playstation Plus costs $50/year. Assume each console comes with one controller.

Xbox One: Console, rough estimate ($400) + 3 games ($180) + extra controller ($50) or more if playing with friends ($100-150) + unknown fees for used games + $60/year for Xbox Live

Playstation 4: Console, rough estimate ($350) + 3 games ($180) + extra controller ($50) or more if playing with friends ($100-150) + unknown fees for used games (if any) + $50/year for Playstation Plus (optional, but a definite home run for Sony)

Totals: Assuming 3-4 years of subscription fees (roughly the average lifespan of a decent gaming computer), the Xbox One can range from $810-970 and the Playstation 4 from $730-880.

TL;DR: This isn't about "Which one is better?" It's "Why are we fighting over this?"

Civil discussion is intelligent discussion. I encourage you to poke holes through this. Thanks all
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
I'm gonna buy a PS4, but I'm not gonna buy PlayStation Plus. Where's your god now?

Theists- 0
Atheists- 1
This pretty much does belong in the Gaming thread, we've had a few discussions on it already.

I don't see why you've used different prices for the consoles, when all prices are rumoured anyway. Plus we still don't know the prices of the online services, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft don't even charge for Live this time.
Last edited by AnAngrySquirrel at Jun 4, 2013,
Wii U is cheapest of all.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Also, unless you really feel the need for WQHD-resolution you'd get a good computer display for roughly the same price as a really small and crappy TV, which you need for the consoles.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
consoles are for fags anyway
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
1. PS4 is going to be more expensive than the Xbox One. X1 is being marketed more towards the casual community so MS wants a lower price point on their main console.

2. Subscription fee should be changed from 3-4 years to 8-10. Both Sony and Microsoft want 10 year cycles on their consoles.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
This pretty much does belong in the Gaming thread, we've had a few discussions on it already.

I don't see why you've used different prices for the consoles, when all prices are rumoured anyway. Plus we still don't know the prices of the online services, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft don't even charge for Live this time.
My apologies, then. Figured it was mostly gaming talk in there. But as for the price difference:
Quote by jhalterman
Assumptions and generalizations will have to be made. Obviously, we do not yet know the definitive price of either next-generation console and PCs can range from $400 to $40,000 so please bear with.
Those are what the estimates are at as of now.
Quote by progdude93
Btw, civil discussion=/=intelligent discussion. What are you, Victorian?
No, I'm just not a complete a-hole like most people seem to become when they have an internet connection and a keyboard
Quote by devourke
1. PS4 is going to be more expensive than the Xbox One. X1 is being marketed more towards the casual community so MS wants a lower price point on their main console.

2. Subscription fee should be changed from 3-4 years to 8-10. Both Sony and Microsoft want 10 year cycles on their consoles.
I'm only using estimates as of now. In my opinion, the PS4 will be closer to $500 because of the specs I've seen and the Xbox One will be around $350 for exactly the reasons you stated. As for the subscription fees, I only mentioned it surrounding how expensive PCs were vs. consoles over a given period of time (how long a decent-good PC lasts with no upgrades).

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Just buy a PC. Consoles suck.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I have a PC; I built it. Not a fan of consoles and was just asking why the hubbub over it all.

All this crap has gotten way too expensive for what it is. $70 and $80 games for this upcoming gen, crazy buy in prices and not being able to buy used games means i am completely checking out. I will just retro game or steam on the PC
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
All this crap has gotten way too expensive for what it is. $70 and $80 games for this upcoming gen, crazy buy in prices and not being able to buy used games means i am completely checking out. I will just retro game or steam on the PC

A big, "AAA" gaming title can cost 50-100 million to make. I believe the average game costs 10-30 million. A big-time movie can cost what, 200-300 million?

A video game sells for $60-70, but a Blu-Ray is $25. Blu-Ray's extra features already come with it. DLC for games will set you back another $10-20 if there isn't much of it.

Quote by jhalterman
A big, "AAA" gaming title can cost 50-100 million to make. I believe the average game costs 10-30 million. A big-time movie can cost what, 200-300 million?

A video game sells for $60-70, but a Blu-Ray is $25. Blu-Ray's extra features already come with it. DLC for games will set you back another $10-20 if there isn't much of it.

And they're still not even that good.