Page 1 of 2
you know what to do
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Is this a pun about the curriculum of some home schools?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
depending on the reason, i am either massively for it or adamantly against it.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
It has its place but ultimately leads to more bad than good.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
No
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Is this a pun about the curriculum of some home schools?

it is now
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I believe homeschooling provides social and academic growth at a much faster rate than that of the public school system while simultaneously promoting good communication and closeness within a family. Strong family values are the only way to social justice and equality.
"Now I'm free fallin, yeah head first, red hat to the back like Fred Durst" - Lil Wayne
Quote by Bilbo Swaggins
I believe homeschooling provides social and academic growth at a much faster rate than that of the public school system while simultaneously promoting good communication and closeness within a family. Strong family values are the only way to social justice and equality.

Can't tell if troll...
Quote by aCloudConnected
i think it should be illegal

I think people saying things should be illegal should be illegal.
lol phils
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I think people saying things should be illegal should be illegal.

BURNNNNN HIMMMMM!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I don't think it's good really, going to school would help you be better socially, you're introduced to more stuff from friends and such plus, that child's intellectual growth is determined entirely by the whim of the parents who may or may not be cray.
This is going to crash and burn within three pages just like every single other homeschooling thread does.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'd say a lot of times home schooled kids are better socially adjusted, because they are not constantly made fun of, and forced into clicks as they are in public schools. They are not nearly as insecure as the average student, because popularity is of no concern, so education comes first as it should in schools.

This should of course be based on a case to case basis.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
I have encountered exactly the opposite of what Toadvine said.

I had 3 close friends groing up who were homeschooled. At least 2 of them perform how I would define "socially normal" now after going out on their own (I lost track of the third one). So, basically, while they were under their parent's control, their lives were really very secluded and lacked interaction with outsiders. Keep in mind that their families were all very different, so I feel that eliminates any bias between that group.

They were all and still are very happy, and I don't think they were harmed by it. But after experiencing it first-hand through them, I know now that I'd never do it to my kids.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I work at a recreation center, and every few weeks our whole field house gets rented out by a large group of parents and their home schooled kids for the purpose of recess or getting their kids out of the house. There is just something... off about them, I have a feeling that a majority of them are going to end up being like Buster off of Arrested Development, except in a very unfunny way.
ive known only one person who has been homeschooled and he seems normal
I think if you were a qualified primary teacher then teaching your kid/s up to the age of 8 might be a good idea after that your probably crazy.
SMILE!
Quote by eGraham
I have encountered exactly the opposite of what Toadvine said.

This is pretty much what I expected most of you to say.

I mean I was home schooled 2-7, and both my brothers were from 3-7, they then went to a private school, which should I should have gone to, but declined since they had no football, or wrestling team, or real art program.

So I returned to public school, in hindsight it was probably an error and I should have followed them to private school, as now they both have jobs, that pay about four times what mine does, and they drive Lexus's around. I'm not even going to tell you what I drive.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
A lot of the people at college that I've met that were home schooled are abnormally awkward. Not all of them, but most of them are just really strange and don't interact with people in a normal way.
Quote by Toadvine
as now they both have jobs, that pay about four times what mine does, and they drive Lexus's around. I'm not even going to tell you what I drive.

But are they happier than you?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
But are they happier than you?

Good question, and I'm going to answer it whether it was serious or not.

I don't know, but I'd guess I'm in the middle, though all three of us are drunk pretty constantly.
Quote by Toadvine
Good question, and I'm going to answer it whether it was serious or not.

I don't know, but I'd guess I'm in the middle, though all three of us are drunk pretty constantly.

It was certainly a serious one. That whole dilemma is something I've been meditating on a lot lately, particularly overcoming the ingrained notion that we have to be the best or a superstar or whatever and just learning to be happy. I've come to the realization that the better option for me might to forgo a high paying job for a lower paying one that lets me live the life I truly want to live. Being that you mentioned they were raking in the dough, I was curious as to whether or not that was the biggest factor in whether or not you thought their lives were enviable, thus I brought up the happiness question.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

^^Well it's pretty simple. I'd say that my life is definitely less stressful, but it would be nice to have a swimming pool, or a hot tub, or whatever. I'm sure some would love to have less responsibilities, happiness, I think is just a term for less problems.

The grass is greener it always will be.

Unless you're like monk, or some shit, and are completely enlightened and that shit seems like a lot of effort to get to that point.
Financial success is important, but his point is very valid imo. I'd guess that private school = good job is very correlational, too.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

obviously it varies, and i may be wrong/biased because i went to an especially terrible grade school/high school (school was poor as ****, and it was in the countryside so good teachers were terribly scarce), but i can easily see why parents wouldn't want their kids in public school. through 4th - 10th grade i didn't give a **** about schoolwork, and the teachers didn't care about me. i pretty much got away with doing jack shit in school. the kids were complete assholes, and bullying really ****ed with my confidence and self-esteem.

public school can suck my dick
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Jun 4, 2013,
Quote by zackk
A lot of the people at college that I've met that were home schooled are abnormally awkward. Not all of them, but most of them are just really strange and don't interact with people in a normal way.

To be fair, this could easily be applied to people who were "nerds" in high school, attending a public or private school.
Quote by Toadvine
I'd say a lot of times home schooled kids are better socially adjusted, because they are not constantly made fun of, and forced into clicks as they are in public schools. They are not nearly as insecure as the average student, because popularity is of no concern, so education comes first as it should in schools.

This should of course be based on a case to case basis.

I disagree with the "socially adjusted" part. I am a guitar instructor received a homeschooled student as one of my clients. He was so socially awkward that he requested to be placed in a time spot where no one else was coming in or leaving for their lessons simply because seeing a stranger made him uneasy. He was 13 at the time, had no idea what fractions were and could barely read or write. Mind you he has the capacity for intelligence, just no discipline or sense of logic whatsoever. I met his mother who explained her case as to why she took him out of school (and I quickly found out why the boy was so severely under educated as his mother was a few fries short of a happy meal.) All this to say I believe that if a parent wants to home school their child they should be forced to take some sort of standardized test before even receiving a curriculum for home schooling. It would likely sort out alot of issues.
Home schooling, like anything else, can be done well or poorly.

I've seen both sides.

Just like public school...

I support the right of people who choose to home school to do so.

I also support mandatory standardized testing, which when coupled with reasonable legislation would allow us to identify situations where the parents, students or schools are performing poorly.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Home schooling, like anything else, can be done well or poorly.

I've seen both sides.

Just like public school...

I support the right of people who choose to home school to do so.

I also support mandatory standardized testing, which when coupled with reasonable legislation would allow us to identify situations where the parents, students or schools are performing poorly.

This summarises everything I wanted to say about this topic perfectly.

Also, didn't we just have a huge shitstorm of a thread about this not too long ago?
it's only good if you live in the south because school is pointless if you can't fantasize about your teachers and if they are your parents that is weird unless you live in the south
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Gallant69
I disagree with the "socially adjusted" part. I am a guitar instructor received a homeschooled student as one of my clients. He was so socially awkward that he requested to be placed in a time spot where no one else was coming in or leaving for their lessons simply because seeing a stranger made him uneasy. He was 13 at the time, had no idea what fractions were and could barely read or write. Mind you he has the capacity for intelligence, just no discipline or sense of logic whatsoever. I met his mother who explained her case as to why she took him out of school (and I quickly found out why the boy was so severely under educated as his mother was a few fries short of a happy meal.) All this to say I believe that if a parent wants to home school their child they should be forced to take some sort of standardized test before even receiving a curriculum for home schooling. It would likely sort out alot of issues.

In most US states, parents are required to teach a specific curriculum (which either mirrors the public curriculum exactly or, in some states, is actually more intensive than the public curriculum). Their children are also required to take the same aptitude tests that kids in public school take. If it is shown that the parents are not teaching their children well enough, then the child is required to either be enrolled in a private school or a public school. Anyway, long story short, I'm sure you're socially maladjusted student had to return to a traditional school setting.

Nonetheless, in cases where the parent isn't a few fries short of a happy meal, the child could do well. It largely depends. Some children do better being homeschooled than others. I have a few friends who were homeschooled for a year or two because they weren't being taught well enough by public school teachers. My fiancee's sister, iirc, was failing early reading (you know, the stuff they teach kids while learning how to read). After 1 year of her mother homeschooling her, she read above her grade level. She returned to public school the next year, iirc. So, don't disparage homeschooling based upon one or two negative personal experiences with homeschooled children. It can do good or bad; that largely depends upon the parent doing the teaching.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 5, 2013,
Page 1 of 2