Hey guys!
Recently I`ve thought about getting another 7 string guitar for a couple of reasons.
I saw Ola Englund doing a demo of the Halo Morbus 7 string baritone and I just fell in love with the looks.
But just because it looks good it doesn`t have to be good. It is also very cheap and that is kinda another reason I am insecure.

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/MORBUS-Baritone-7-String-TOM-FBK-MORBUS-BT-7-TOM-TBK.html
On the right side you see the demo by Ola.

Are these guitars good? Have you tried one?
Dissonance is underrated.
I've never heard of Halo, but that guitar looks f***ing awesome. The price is pretty low for such a small shop. If it's a good quality guitar, I would pick one up in a heartbeat. I want a 7 string baaaad

Edit: Did a little research on them. From what I can gather, they used to have a pretty shoddy reputation but upped their game after coming under new management, and now seem to be pretty solid. I'll have to do some more reading on them.

Edit #2:
I've heard great things about them. My friend has a 10 string custom on order with them (Buckeye burl top, koa, black korina, body and a ziricote fretboard w/ Aero custom pickups). Apparently they got rid of their old factory and started using a new one which met their standards. They have a tarnished name and they know it. It's all about producing good product now to regain trust and confidence from their customers. I wish them luck in that regard because its going to be hard to remove that stigma but I hope that through learning from their failures a better company can be made. On a side note (and this is purely IMO). As a bit of a critique for the company: they need to fire the guy who designed their headstocks and get some more options. Its really the weakest part of their aesthetic IMO of course. I had to design a headstock from my friend with the 10 string cause I wouldn't let him get one of those. Just something else for the company to think about. I feel its something that prevents people from taking them seriously. That 10 string they did within the last year that was posted on here by one of the employees was seriously awesome but ruined by the headstock. / Halo rant
From this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/237809-ngd-halo-morbus-7-a.html
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 4, 2013,
I am not sure if it`s worth. I can`t try it and I don`t know how it feels but I am still wanting to have this guitar. Decisions decisions..
I could a RGD for the same price that I can try out but they aren`t as good looking as this one.
The "halo morbus 7" is by far the best guitar I've ever played... My only regret is I couldn't afford to take it home.
Quote by shredzilla19
The "halo morbus 7" is by far the best guitar I've ever played... My only regret is I couldn't afford to take it home.

How did the neck feel? How did it sound clean if you tried it? Details man.
Here is some additional info on the 7-string Morbus baritone neck:

- 400mm radius
- 48mm nut width, GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut, or locking nut for tremolo version
- 27” scale
- 24 nickel silver frets, Jumbo
- ~20-21mm thickness at 1st fret
- ~21-22mm thickness at 12th fret
- Handcrafted necks, so the thicknesses will vary slightly
- C shape contour

I am not very good at guitar, but I can try to record some clean sounds and distortion sounds if there is interest. But, I think Ola's video is good enough...?
Industry Affiliations:
Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
Karma Audio Productions, Inc.
Stay away.

They are shite. They send Ola a free guitar so he played it. Sounded awful, even by Olas normal tone, it wasn't great.

One member here bought one where they strung the hard tail bridge and didn't drill any string ferrules.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So either rockerjeff is endorsed by, or is a part of Halo Guitars in some form.

I'd try it before you buy it. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them, and even though they're in the process of turning their name around, I'm not sold on them yet. In the video Ola doesn't actually say what he thinks of the guitar, he plays it and rhymes off some specs, which is by no means a shot at Ola, he just doesn't say "this is what I like" etc.

Try it out if you can, I'd personally steer clear, it also looks very cheap, especially that god awful headstock.

As for the RGD - great line of guitars, the 7421 I played felt solid, I'd swap the pups though, they just weren't for me.

MOST stores will also allow you to order in the guitar and play it. If you take it home and don't jive with it after a week or whatever, and return it. They'll charge a small restocking fee (5-12% in most cases), and you can put the money towards something else. Just some food for thought.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
We have made mistakes in the past. We are not proud of that. But, we have also made every effort to fix those mistakes by offering re-builds and refunds.

The case you mentioned with the ferrules: it was an isolated incident. It only happened once. We contacted the original owner, re-built his guitar for free, shipped it to him, and as far as I know he is satisfied with the replacement guitar. He posted a video on YouTube of himself playing it. It is a white 8-string Octavia guitar.

However, the offending guitar was also sold on the used market to a second owner. The second owner spent a lot of time and energy fixing the problem Halo created in the first place. When we discovered who the second owner was, we also sent him a free replacement guitar for his inconveniences. As far as I know, he is also satisfied with the replacement guitar.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Stay away.

They are shite. They send Ola a free guitar so he played it. Sounded awful, even by Olas normal tone, it wasn't great.

One member here bought one where they strung the hard tail bridge and didn't drill any string ferrules.
Industry Affiliations:
Quote by shredzilla19

Where did you play one? They are direct order, so I'm gonna call Bullshite right now.

OT:
TS from what I have heard they are extremely sub-par instruments, like a $99 Squire will stomp it. Yes it is true they changed who is making them, but I really would not waist my hard earned money on them to find out if they are better now.

I actually had one of their guys contact me a while back be cause I commented basically the same thing. look at my profile comments it is there.

Get an Agile 7 string if you are on a budget, or get a used Ibanez
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for all the info guys. I don`t really know what I should respond with thou.
I hope that Halo really does step up their game and I may look back at them for a future investment!

I`ll probably go for an RGD after the summer or something else with a 27 inch scale since I only have Ibanez guitars.

Thanks dudes!
Go with what inspires you to play more guitar!
Good luck!

Quote by Lyrax
Thanks for all the info guys. I don`t really know what I should respond with thou.
I hope that Halo really does step up their game and I may look back at them for a future investment!

I`ll probably go for an RGD after the summer or something else with a 27 inch scale since I only have Ibanez guitars.

Thanks dudes!
Industry Affiliations:
I think the headstock looks fine
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I read a few NGD posts on sevenstring.com and from what it looks like is that their early stuff was shit, but they really upped their game recently. The more recent posts on there seem to have only positive things to say about them.

I would still be hesitant, but if I could play one for myself before hand and it checked out OK, I might consider it.
Companies make mistakes. I guarantee you most major brands of guitars have put out more than 2 shitty guitars. The guy posting that is with the company was honest and it seems the customer service was good since they replaced the guitars. Most companies wouldn't even post on a message board let alone admit to making mistakes so props for that at least. Now since I have never heard of this brand and they are actually pretty close to me, I'm going to check them out.
Quote by OliOsbourne
I think the headstock looks fine

It does! It seems like a lot of people think that it is ugly but it`s pretty cool actually.
Quote by J_W
Companies make mistakes. I guarantee you most major brands of guitars have put out more than 2 shitty guitars. The guy posting that is with the company was honest and it seems the customer service was good since they replaced the guitars. Most companies wouldn't even post on a message board let alone admit to making mistakes so props for that at least. Now since I have never heard of this brand and they are actually pretty close to me, I'm going to check them out.

All companies are going to make mistakes, especially big companies like Fender with their productions models, Gibson and Epiphone and every other company too.

They have a lot of guitars being put out on a daily basis.

Forgetting to drill ferrules is out****ingrageous. Custom guitars should be less flawed than normal production models.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by rockerjeff
We have made mistakes in the past. We are not proud of that. But, we have also made every effort to fix those mistakes by offering re-builds and refunds.

The case you mentioned with the ferrules: it was an isolated incident. It only happened once. We contacted the original owner, re-built his guitar for free, shipped it to him, and as far as I know he is satisfied with the replacement guitar. He posted a video on YouTube of himself playing it. It is a white 8-string Octavia guitar.

However, the offending guitar was also sold on the used market to a second owner. The second owner spent a lot of time and energy fixing the problem Halo created in the first place. When we discovered who the second owner was, we also sent him a free replacement guitar for his inconveniences. As far as I know, he is also satisfied with the replacement guitar.

So their good for the money then?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

"Good for the money" on UG has become the tag-line of people who settled for shit guitars instead of saving for what they really wanted and now they're trying to justify it to strangers on the internet.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't know how the phrase "good for the money" is perceived on this forum.

But, in any case... yes, Halo instruments (production models and custom shop builds) offer a great bang for the buck.

We only use quality tone woods like Mahogany, Alder, Ash, Maple, Rosewood, and Ebony. We install quality hardware and electronics, and then all the guitars are set up by professional guitar techs in the USA before the guitars are sent out to customers.

The guitars come with a one year warranty, a 7-day hassle free return policy, and we're always available by phone/email to provide additional customer support if needed.

We understand that every guitar we sell needs to play true and offer a lifetime of enjoyment. We are making that happen for our customers. Of course, we will never know everything about the craft, but are always learning/improving, too.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Industry Affiliations:
Quote by JustRooster
"Good for the money" on UG has become the tag-line of people who settled for shit guitars instead of saving for what they really wanted and now they're trying to justify it to strangers on the internet.
I can see what you're saying, but I wouldn't use that logic against everything you see on here.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until I've played one. Not saying I'm going to go order one right now, but if I come across one, I'll definitely try it out and form my opinion from there.

Quote by rockerjeff
I don't know how the phrase "good for the money" is perceived on this forum.

But, in any case... yes, Halo instruments (production models and custom shop builds) offer a great bang for the buck.

We only use quality tone woods like Mahogany, Alder, Ash, Maple, Rosewood, and Ebony. We install quality hardware and electronics, and then all the guitars are set up by professional guitar techs in the USA before the guitars are sent out to customers.

The guitars come with a one year warranty, a 7-day hassle free return policy, and we're always available by phone/email to provide additional customer support if needed.

We understand that every guitar we sell needs to play true and offer a lifetime of enjoyment. We are making that happen for our customers. Of course, we will never know everything about the craft, but are always learning/improving, too.
To be perfectly honest, not a whole lot of people are going to really listen to what you say on here. Whether what you're saying is true or not, you have to admit that its hard to believe that you wouldn't be biased towards your own product. It's just human nature.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't waste too much time trying to correct people or argue. It might even hurt your case, unfortunately. Good on you for being out in the open about it, though.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 6, 2013,
Totally agree, ExDementia - thanks!

Quote by ExDementia
I can see what you're saying, but I wouldn't use that logic against everything you see on here.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until I've played one. Not saying I'm going to go order one right now, but if I come across one, I'll definitely try it out and form my opinion from there.

To be perfectly honest, not a whole lot of people are going to really listen to what you say on here. Whether what you're saying is true or not, you have to admit that its hard to believe that you wouldn't be biased towards your own product. It's just human nature.

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't waste too much time trying to correct people or argue. It might even hurt your case, unfortunately. Good on you for being out in the open about it, though.
Industry Affiliations: