Hi folks,

First post here ... I've been playing guitar / bass in the past (like 10 years ago!) and I sold all my *CRAPPY* equipment. I always used second hand, low cost gear.

So, as a new start, this is the gear I am looking at for a start:

Guitar: ESP LTD Electric Guitar (EC-200QM) - Black

Amp: Marshall Carbon Fibre 15W Combo Amp (MG15CFX)

What do you think about this? Maybe some suggestion as well?

Hoo... Almost forgot, playing mostly rock like GnR, Metallica, ...., should have a clean sound as well on acoustic. Kepp in mind, I'm not good at all and it's a hobby.

Thanks, appreciated.

- Delerium
Don't get the MG try to get a Peavey Vypyr you'll be much more satisfied with that amps tone. As for the guitar the ec should be fine.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Give us:
budget?
location?
giging or not?
new or used?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys for quick answer!

Is there any issue with the MG or is it a matter of taste? (I heard it, and I found it sounds good)

Budget: +-700$
No gig, only in my living room
I prefer to buy new.

Thanks!
Quote by Delerium36
Thanks guys for quick answer!

Is there any issue with the MG or is it a matter of taste? (I heard it, and I found it sounds good)

Budget: +-700$
No gig, only in my living room
I prefer to buy new.

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with buying new, but if you buy used you can get stuff that is 2x your budget.

Are you buying from Long-Mcquade?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The EC is a great choice... they are very nice guitars. If you like the tone and the price of the mg then go for it, but I do agree there may be better choices out there for the money.
Again, thanks.

I was planning to go to either ItalMelodie or Steve's music, I take a quick look at their website and they seems pretty huge in Canada, maybe I could get a better price there.

Now, for used vs new. I know I could probably get an higher value... but since it will be a new guitar in 10 years, I want it to be mine, new, shiny... Probably silly.. but I can live with it!

I check the specs of the EC-200QM and it says:
24 XJ Frets. Which makes me think those a "jumbo fret". Does this mean there a wider? I have small hands, would smaller fret size better suit me? Since I haven't played for 10 years, not sure I would see the difference...

Doing some google, I also see the Epiphone Les Paul Studios
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1250/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Studio_-_Ebony.htm

Any thought on that guitar?

As for the AMP, Do you have any specific model for the Peavey Vypyr? I just need a small amp that sounds good. But of course, I would like to get the best of my money.

Ho, and what about Orange Amps? I saw this one, its, of course, lot smaller with less watt, but for playing only for myself, could that be an option as well?
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/17756/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Orange_Amplifiers/Orange_Pix_12_Watt_Guitar_Combo.htm

Thanks, I appreciated all the input your are giving. Reading reviews, looking guitar/amp on different website and I'm simply more confused. Reason why I ask to you .

- Delerium
Last edited by Delerium36 at Jun 5, 2013,
I think your guitar choice is good, but the amp choice is bad.

Like the others said I would look at a peavey vypyr!
If you sold your crappy gear and your prospective good gear is the MG, what was the crappy amp?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Hi Folks,

I should have listen to your comment. I order the ESP EC-200QM (which is nice) and the Marshall. I thought myself that since I'm a beginner, I would not see the difference, which is probably true. But.... I got a god damn LEMON!!!!!!!!!! Working then it wants to. Sometime for a few minutes, sometime an hour, and sometime it does not work at all...

So, this time, I'm going to listen to you!

I call a music shop near me, and they proposed the Roland Cube 20XL. Also, for peavy, is there a particular models you would propose?

Sorry again, I should really have listen...

Best regards
- Delerium
I agree with ExDementia the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 or 120 are great amps.

The Roland Cubes are great for what they are, but the Vypyr tube is probably the best deal on a versatile good sounding amp you will find
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Finally found a Peavy reseller in my area!

Since I live in a small appartement (limited space, limited sound), I was looking at the following model:
Peavey VYPYR VIP 1 119$ CDN

Basically, all I want at this point is a good product, with some sounds effects (Like for playing rock, metal, clean, reverb, blabla)... and of course, that do sounds OK.

The Viper 60 is a bit huge....

Sorry again for all those dumb question, I'm completely loss with all those different models / brands.

Regards
- Deleruum
The Vypyr VIP is an OK amp, but if electric is your main thing then get at least a Vypyr 30/75.

The Vypyr tube 60 does have a headphone out and is easily the best sounding Peavey Vypyr made( besides the tube 120)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks,

I'll take a look at the size of the 30, I'm very limited in size...

And yes, I'm mostly into electric and some clean (ie: think Civil War (intro), GnR), for a beginner, does the VIP can do a honest job for a while?

I'll probably go to the store tomorrow...

- Delerium
Quote by Delerium36
Thanks,

I'll take a look at the size of the 30, I'm very limited in size...

And yes, I'm mostly into electric and some clean (ie: think Civil War (intro), GnR), for a beginner, does the VIP can do a honest job for a while?

I'll probably go to the store tomorrow...

- Delerium
I wouldn't bother with the VIP if you plan on only playing guitar. They are a bit lackluster. Jack of all trades, master of none. My suggestion is to go with an original Vypyr or a Roland Cube.

The Orange Crush line isn't too bad either. It wouldn't hurt to try one out. Also the Yamaha TRH series are surprisingly decent. Very compact too.
Thanks for adding more brand in the mix! (just kidding)

I'll go to the store tomorrow and listen to them. I doubt I will see a real difference, the MG15CFX sounds great for me (WHEN IT WORKS!!!!!)

Again, all your input is very much appreciated.

- Deleruum
Seconding Orange. Nice amps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Any specific Orange models? Something like 15-20 Watts, with sounds effects (like stated a few post up..)

Thanks

- Delerium
Quote by Delerium36
Any specific Orange models? Something like 15-20 Watts, with sounds effects (like stated a few post up..)

Thanks

- Delerium

The Tiny Terror, but that's out of your budget I'd guess.

Seriously look into a modeler like a Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT, Fender Mustang, Roland cube. They will do just about anything and pretty well also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hello,

Just a little follow up. I went to the music store today. Listen to some amps (Vypyr, Roland, Fender, etc)... To me, they all sound great, different tone, but great. So, as a beginner, I decided to go with the Vypyr VIP 1.

The amp is crank up with a bunch of amazing effects. I also like the fact that I can use it as a Bass amp if needed later.

Hours and hours of pleasure ahead of me!

I would like to take the time to thanks all of you for your answers, suggestions. Honestly, very appreciated.

Best regards
- Delerium
You're welcome...now go and rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!