How do the solid engle. top along with solid mahogany back and sides measure up on dreadnought in popular guitar brands???
the Englemann gives you a more "mature" tone than regular Sitka. it also gives the mids a bit more of a warm sound. not that the average person would really notice much.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
The englemann will usually sound better than a sitka as long as you don't try to play really loud. If you want volume, stick with the sitka. The englemann top can sound like it is "topping out" when strummed hard.
My experience is that Englemann has a more mellow sound than Sitka... now mellow is a hard word to define, but I tend to think of it as not as bright and well-defined... which is why I prefer Sitka. Of course the strings make a big difference. Sitka seems to work best with 80/20 brass, and sounds unpleasantly metallic with phosphor bronze... while Englemann sounds dull with 80/20 brass and seems better with PB.

The problem I have with trying guitars in stores is that they don't have the strings on them that I think they should have... but I guess if you decide what quality you want to achieve in the tone, then you just get the guitar that has the wood that suits the job, and then put the strings on it that will also compliment that wood.

Of course most guitars are Sitka, so there's a broader and usually less expensive selection of that... just make sure it's a solid top, not laminated.
"Of course the strings make a big difference. Sitka seems to work best with 80/20 brass, and sounds unpleasantly metallic with phosphor bronze... while Englemann sounds dull with 80/20 brass and seems better with PB.

Of course most guitars are Sitka, so there's a broader and usually less expensive selection of that... just make sure it's a solid top, not laminated."

I completely agree with this! Couldn't say it better!
I suppose I'm of the "good enough for folk music" school who thinks that many of the enthusiasts that debate such things are taking it perhaps a mite too far.

Over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, we get into detailed threads about which strings to use with which wood combinations and might one bridge pin sound a bit better than another and recently one fellow was wondering what effect the fretboard wood had on the sound.

And which pick to use and whether glossy is better than flat and should you or shouldn't you have a pickguard and so on ad infinitum.

I suspect that a very great percentage of the perceived differences between all of these things is illusory and couldn't be quantified by any sort of test.
I also suspect that musicians in general and guitarists in particular engage in a particular kind of one-upmanship... "What, you can't hear the difference between (pick item of choice) ? Well, I can."
Implication being that my ears are better than yours, or I'm more "musically sensitive" than you, or whatever.

You know...For the most part, the audience doesn't know, and doesn't care. You are a "guy with a guitar". If you are selling your song well enough and your guitar sounds pretty much like a guitar and in tune.... Nobody gives a damn.
Last edited by Bikewer at Jun 7, 2013,
i love you Bikewer...will you marry me????
@bikewer

I get your point that you are trying to make, and I actually think you are right.

Having said that, if everyone felt the same way, we might as well shut down the forums because nobody cares what anyone has to say.
untrue chadbo.... we're all concerned that everyone needs to hear what WE have to say. YOU need enlightenment and i'm here to provide.
without this here wunnerfil forim...i'da been askin' the guyz at Home Depow if the 1/2" or 3/4 " plywood would make the better geetar !... oh.... an' where you keep the bbq grills...err...bug zappers i mean...aisle 6?
i really don't care much about the minor nuances of sitka vs euro vs engelmann... or sinker redwood for that matter.... that's for the guitar snobs to fight over. i do care about what a good guitar sounds like when i dont have access to it. i care about not buying a guitar that'll automatically self-destruct after 18 months into firewood. that's where these forums come in handy. as well as insight as to why some manufacturers put the octave strings on upside down on a 12 string( 2 successful companies do it and their reasoning makes sense FWIW!)