I'm learning Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City."

My guitar teacher showed my the main chord progression (Gb7 - Abm - A - Abm) using triads, and I'm wondering if i should play the "full chords" instead.

e ---x------2---
B ---2------2---
G ---3------3---
D ---2--or--2---
A ---x------4---
E ---x------2---
Whichever way you think sounds best is the way you "should" play it.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
If you are doing just acoustic guitar, probably full chords. If you are playing electric in a band situation, the triad should suffice.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Triads are 'full' chords >_> lol (Yeah, yeah, I know what you ment)

I think you should use which ever sounds more like the original.
"Reality is merely an illusion albeit a very persistent one"
- Albert Einstein

My Soundcloud: link
Quote by Angusman60
If you are doing just acoustic guitar, probably full chords. If you are playing electric in a band situation, the triad should suffice.

yeah this, in a group setting the guitar needs to back off a bit to let the other instruments shine (particularly those not hooked up to a I-CAN-GET-AS-LOUD-AS-I-WANT box) and full barre chords might muddy up space taken up by the bass or horns.

listen to the song and go off instinct, but in jazz bands and whatnot it's important to remember that everything has to go together and a lot of chords need to be simplified to the bare minimum to let everything play nicely, which isn't common in a typical 4 or 5 piece band where the guitarist has room to dominate
modes are a social construct
Quote by johnyere
...[ ]..... using triads, and I'm wondering if i should play the "full chords" instead....[ ]...
Although it is far from a "jazz piece", a song that illustrates the concepts of using both triads, and full open chords to define a song is The Who, "Substitute". Townshend begins with major triads on the top 3 strings, and then comes blasting into the body of the song strumming away in the open position.

Here's the tab search on that, if you're interested::http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?search_type=title&value=substitute