The owner of my local guitar store got in an Ibanez Roadstar guitar, made in Korea. I have no idea of the date, or the actual type of Roadstar it is because there were the two different "Roadstar" and "Roadstar II" series, correct? I have a serial number but I looked around a bit on google and couldn't find anything. The serial number is P702441 (could possibly be wrong, just saying right now...)

The guitar is Strat-styled, red, with a black pickguard, 3 single coil pickups, a vintage/Strat-style trem, a maple neck, 5-way switch, and a secondary 3(?) way switch between the volume knobs. So, this is what I would assume to be Ibanez's take on Fender's Stratocaster.

It looks like it was made in the 80's or very early 90's. I also know that MiK now is a pretty good thing, but I'm not too sure about the quality of guitars back then.

The guy is asking $150 for the guitar and the fairly beat up hardshell case. The guy would probably come down to $110 or $120 for the guitar, paid in cash.

The guitar definitely looks worn in as it is missing the 5-way switch knob, tremolo arm, and the volume knob is very scratchy. The plan is to have this as a project guitar, possibly break it down, refinish it, buy new and better parts/hardware, and put it all back together.

Thoughts?

tl;dr: Theres an Ibanez Roadstar in my local shop; I need help ID'ing it. Would it be a good project guitar? Should I put any money into it?

It actually looks pretty similar to this: So maybe its not even a Roadstar after all? I think it has the current "blade" headstock, but like this one, the headstock says "Roadstar".
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jun 4, 2013,
I can't remember, but didn't they stop making Roadstars after 88' in favor of the new RGs? Sorry, I don't know much about Roadstars, and even less about Korean Ibbies.
Well, I'm probably going to pick up the guitar tomorrow, maybe with the supplied case, maybe not. I'll try and post up a NGD if I do.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
The best roadstars are MIJ and not much more money, usually. Just a thought. I would shop around more. Try the "MIJ" designation under "electric guitar" in Ebay search to get a good idea of what cheapo MIJ models are floating around out there. Roadstar is one of those, but probably good quality if it's made in japan.
I'm not looking for the best Roadstar Theres one at my local store (which usually only carries Squires and Jay Tursers). I am also in a city of 5,000 people, and the closest biggest city is an 8 hour drive. I kind of have to take what I can get.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Does it read Ibanez on the headstock and not Cimar? I've not heard of a Korean Ibanez Roadstar before. I had an 85 MIJ Roadstar II RS440 for a while. Couldn't stand the buzzing bridge. Dark sounding guitar, and one fret was flat. I had an 82 Blazer BL500 that was really spanky. I'd definitely get another Roadstar at the right price.

Regarding the II in the name, the first series was called the Roadster, which was followed by the Blazer series, which was replaced with the Roadstar II series. The RG series of the last 25 years is supposed to stand for Roadstar Guitar, but I don't think they look half as cool.
The guy got the guitar for free from some lady, so he's making a profit regardless, as long as someone buys it. And for ~$100, it'll be a nice learning experience, and I'll have a modding platform now so I don't have to screw with my more expensive guitars.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
So I did end up buying it, and its an RG135. Should put up a NGD fairly soon.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by W4RP1G
I can't remember, but didn't they stop making Roadstars after 88' in favor of the new RGs? Sorry, I don't know much about Roadstars, and even less about Korean Ibbies.
RG stands for Roadstar Guitar, the series being introduced in 1986/87.

Look forward to the NGD
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB