I have the opportunity to play once a week along with a great chill jazz trumpet player, also solo for a few songs. He uses backing tracks and just improvises popular melodies etc. It's actually very nice, the bar is on the beach too, mostly older tourists eating, drinking and talking.

So I thought some songs like Santana, Europa, Gary Moore maybe, some jazz classics like Summertime, but I'm not a jazz guy so the mellow, simple melody rock stuff is better for me, long sustaining bendy stuff is good too, not really chordy stuff though. Any suggestions?

not guitar instrumentals, but instrumentals with guitar
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 4, 2013,
To clarify, you're going to be playing an electric guitar, and playing over a backing tracks with another soloist?
And you will be playing rhythm most of the time, or what?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
To clarify, you're going to be playing an electric guitar, and playing over a backing tracks with another soloist?
And you will be playing rhythm most of the time, or what?

Yeah, I really don't want this to become a suggest a song thread. TS, figure out what you are doing.

Because it sounds like you'll be standing in for the backing tracks, and considering you're not really into "chordy" stuff, I'm seeing a big fail headed your way. Guitar vs trumpet war. Nice. You play Summertime and I'll play Gary Moore. Yeah that'll sound real good.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No I'll be playing lead to backing tracks, mostly he'll be drinking when I play, sorry to not be so clear.
Had you considered asking the person you're playing with what the tracks are?