Page 1 of 2
So I just finished watching this documentary and brought up the subject of voluntary euthanasia. What are your thoughts on it? The film was pretty sad, but I'm completely for voluntary euthanasia.

Do you believe people should have the choice to end their life the way they see fit, or do you think people should tough it out and believe ending your life is morally questionable and should not be allowed?
pinga
Yeah, if you want to end your life then do it. It's your life, and if you feel like it's a good decision, then who am I to say you can't do it, or the government, or anyone else.

Of course, this changes when people rely on your for support.
Only if they have a legitimate reason to want to, like illnesses and old age and whatnot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Last edited by ryan_nadon at Jun 4, 2013,
It should be noted that I meant for it to be for people with terminal illnesses, not just anybody who is clinically depressed.
pinga
Quote by ryan_nadon
Only if they have a legitimate reson to want to, like illnesses and old age and whatnot.

thats stupid
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery

+1

I'm not educated enough to form any real beliefs about the subject.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by ryan_nadon
Only if they have a legitimate reason to want to, like illnesses and old age and whatnot.

Who determines whether or not a reason is legitimate?
Quote by Burgery
thats stupid

How so? Elaborate.

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

Well if a person has no quality of life, I'd say that's a legitimate reason. If a person is so old or so diseased that he has to be connected a to life support machine constantly and fed through a tube, I think that person can choose to be euthanized.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

Last edited by ryan_nadon at Jun 4, 2013,
dont try to act all high and mighty, it is not yours to say who truly deserves to be euthanised and who has to stick around in their misery

lets drop that whole notion please, can i call for a vote on this
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by guitarist41
I'm not educated enough to form any real beliefs about the subject.

its a pretty simple concept, it requires no knowledge to discuss it
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by ryan_nadon
Well if a person has no quality of life, I'd say that's a legitimate reason. If a person is so old or so diseased that he has to be connected a to life support machine constantly and fed through a tube, I think that person can choose to be euthanized.

But why should anyone care what you think?

Moreover, why would anyone who would voluntary euthanize themselves care about whether or not their reasons for not wanting to live adhere to your criteria?
Quote by Burgery
dont try to act all high and mighty, it is not yours to say who truly deserves to be euthanised and who has to stick around in their misery

That's exactly what I said dictates the decision of euthanasia.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

I've always been for it.

Watched Terry Pratchets documentary on it where he visits Switzerland's clinics. Was pretty interesting because he has a condition where there will come a time where he will lose all his awareness of everything and he IF he WAS to want to die through voluntary euthanasia, would it be right or wrong, because he would have no understanding of the situation anymore.

TLDR; It's like pulling the chord from a life support machine.
Quote by ryan_nadon
That's exactly what I said dictates the decision of euthanasia.

Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Cb4rabid
What are your thoughts on it?

Quote by ryan_nadon
*My thoughts*

But why should anyone care what you think?

Moreover, why would anyone who would voluntary euthanize themselves care about whether or not their reasons for not wanting to live adhere to your criteria?

wut
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

Euthanasia illegal:
High school male population percentage- 48%
High school female population percentage- 52%

Euthanasia legal:
High school male population percentage- 93%
High school female population percentage- 7%
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
oh cool, a sexism thread
Quote by korinaflyingv
I'm on the fence for this. For one, it's the person's own life and they should choose to whether they wish to die or not. However, there is also a part of me that believes euthanasia is almost like giving up and that people should tough it out till the end even if the future only holds further pain. It's very hard to say since I do not have direct personal experience with this sort of situation and that every situation is different.
It's not an easy one. If it was then we would most likely be nearing a decision. It's pretty horrible when someone has motor neurone or similar, and they are absolutely aware that their quality of life will decline indefinitely from that point onwards, and that they will become dependent on family members. I'd probably want to end it while I still had a degree of control over my own body.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
I think it's disgusting that it's not allowed. That somehow it is illegal for people to have self-determination over how their lives end, and that people can be forced to live in misery or pain.

MANDATORY EUTHANASIA FOR ALL.
Well, they are probably going to find a way to do it regardless if it really is that bad so why not do it peacefully?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

The Euthanasia Committee, obviously.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yes.

Just going to die anyway.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
I don't see why we should force people who have little to no quality of life and no real prospects of improving to continue living for our own enjoyment

EDIT:
The Euthanasia Committee, obviously
It'd be nice for Euthanasia to become a serious discussion in America so I can hear about Death Panels again
I've yet to meet a rational person who wasn't in favour of it.

But also most of those persons don't have any idea how to make it workable, me included.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
I've yet to meet a rational person who wasn't in favour of it.

But also most of those persons don't have any idea how to make it workable, me included.

I don't know why it'd be that difficult. Have some number of doctors evaluate that your quality of life is extremely poor for whatever reason, that there's no reasonable expectation of improvement and that you're of sound mind...what else needs to happen?
Quote by willT08
I don't know why it'd be that difficult. Have some number of doctors evaluate that your quality of life is extremely poor for whatever reason, that there's no reasonable expectation of improvement and that you're of sound mind...what else needs to happen?

You could argue that regardless of the size of the panel, those doctors can be swayed by the emotional interest. then again you could say that a little bit about decisions for funding for exotic procedures vs long term benefit for the patient.

Also there's the whole issue of what is and isn't suffering and quantifying 'pain' in a way practicable to objective evaluations.

and knowing the length things go on in the courts for example, with appeals back and forth and such, the process could easily take longer than the person has unless we go to a panel with absolute power that no one can object to.

I suppose those are weakness that might not turn out to be a big deal in practice though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Yeah but all of those objections are true of any jury or panel. I'd rather have a system in place, be it a lengthy one, than none at all. Plus you can only start refining a process once you've tried doing it
I think the problem we'll run into again and again is the whole "do they really want to do this, or are they in a bad state of mind" issue that we have now with suicide/attempted suicide.

It's always going to be a grey issue because nobody really knows the real motive except for the person who is actually trying to do it.

In the end it all comes back to 'if they really want to do it, they will'
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
=In the end it all comes back to 'if they really want to do it, they will'

Unless someone restrains them and gives them pills.
Quote by stonyman65
I think the problem we'll run into again and again is the whole "do they really want to do this, or are they in a bad state of mind" issue that we have now with suicide/attempted suicide.

Luckily there are people who are trained to evaluate a person's state of mind
Quote by willT08
Luckily there are people who are trained to evaluate a person's state of mind

But they can always misdiagnose that. That's the problem.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
But they can always misdiagnose that. That's the problem.

This is why you have more than one person do it. It won't be perfect, but it's better than nothing
Quote by severed-metal
Unless someone restrains them and gives them pills.

Assuming they are in a position to have that done to them.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by willT08
This is why you have more than one person do it. It won't be perfect, but it's better than nothing

Yeah I guess. Like I said, it's really a grey issue. There is no right or wrong answer here - it really depends on the case in question.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Life isn't something you democratically vote for before you're conceived. It isn't something you've volunteered for. Once you're born, you're stuck with it. At the same time, nothing is more personal than life. To continue or end it can be the choice of only the one living it. If people want to die without commiting suicide, opting for a less 'sudden' method, they should have the right to pursue the means for it.

Quote by c3powil
Euthanasia illegal:
High school male population percentage- 48%
High school female population percentage- 52%

Euthanasia legal:
High school male population percentage- 93%
High school female population percentage- 7%

Sorry, I'm not getting it. Percentages of what exactly ?
Page 1 of 2