Hi everyone,
I'm planning on buying an SL1 or SL2H in the near future. From other threads, I understand the H-S-S vs H-H, and how generally the SL1 is more versatile while the SL2 is prefered for heavy music.

That said, I'd like to hear the opinion of other players, specifically regarding the neck and mid pickup tones. (I use a JCM 2000 amp).

How would you describe the differences in tone? For the neck pickup, do you use one over the other for certain types music/bands? For ballad/finesse lead guitar, is the SL1 better or does the single-coil diminish the size of the tone? I'd love to have a large neck pickup tone, that does not mirror the bridge.

I will be using my Soloist for 80s/early 90s hard rock/metal - Queensyrche, Def Leppard, Rhoads, Metallica, etc. I'm lefty, so trying each one side-by-side for hours is not much of an option.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Greg
Guitars:
- 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
- 2001 Takamine G Series EG128SC
- 1998 Ibanez RG 470

Amps:
- Marshall JCM 2000
- Vox Valvetronix
it might still be difficult as you're a lefty, but it might be easier than finding soloists- just try some HSS and HH superstrats. an HSS is pretty much like having a strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. an HH is more like having a gibson pickup setup (but in a superstrat guitar).

I could go into it more than that, but it's a bit like trying to describe to you what strawberries taste like if you've never tried them- while i could, it's a lot handier if you just try a strawberry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I decided to go with the SL2H. Musician's Friend had a limited time special on the USA Select in black, (left-handed), plus a catalog-wide discount. In short, it was $2149 a week ago, but I picked it up for $1359. Definitely a no-brainer.
Guitars:
- 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
- 2001 Takamine G Series EG128SC
- 1998 Ibanez RG 470

Amps:
- Marshall JCM 2000
- Vox Valvetronix
no problem wow that is pretty good. that's far cheaper than they go for here in northern ireland/UK in pounds. excellent score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?