Hi Guys,

I was looking at my RR5 yesterday the V plate on the body is bent at one end and I was wondering if its possible to remove this plate and leave it off?

Also can the same be done to the big plate with the tone and volume knobs on?

I think it would be nice to get some of the pin striping uncovered on it.

Cheers
You can remove the V plate, but you'll need to add some ferrules on the top of the body for the strings to run through, and you'll be left with screw holes.

The scratchplate will have to stay, because the controls are top-mounted like on a Strat. However, you could make a new one that doesn't eat into the pinstripe on the edge, assuming that it still covers the cavity.
-MintSauce- is right, You could remove the V plate and the string holes would still be there but the roughness of the edges of the holes would damage the strings very easily so you would have to add in some rings to the tops of the holes and you would have to make sure thay they are completely smooth on the inside.

As for the scratchplate you'd probably be best just to leave that. Removing the scratchplate is the only way to get into the control cavity and all the controls are actually secured to the plate with nuts and screw threads.

If you do decide to get rid of some stuff and have excess screw holes the thing to do with that is get matchsticks, sand a couple down to get some sawdust and then use PVA glue to glue an UNSANDED matchstick into the screw hole. Use some of the sawdust to fill in the gap around the top of the hole/stick. then find some paint the matches the body perfectly (if you have the guts to paint it yourself) and paint over it
The screw holes don't really bother me as they're tiny. I know I can take the tone and volume knobs off so I can at least give it a decent clean.

Are the ferrules a standard size or am I going to have to measure the holes?

I forgot about where all the wiring was.
Quote by Xpl0r

If you do decide to get rid of some stuff and have excess screw holes the thing to do with that is get matchsticks, sand a couple down to get some sawdust and then use PVA glue to glue an UNSANDED matchstick into the screw hole. Use some of the sawdust to fill in the gap around the top of the hole/stick. then find some paint the matches the body perfectly (if you have the guts to paint it yourself) and paint over it

So leaving the holes open isn't a good idea? If it needs painting then I'll need it coating after that.

Maybe I'll just replace the V plate. It's bent up on one side and it's a bit annoying.
Quote by Viowithcrailtap
The screw holes don't really bother me as they're tiny. I know I can take the tone and volume knobs off so I can at least give it a decent clean.

Are the ferrules a standard size or am I going to have to measure the holes?

I forgot about where all the wiring was.

You'll have to measure the holes and potentially drill them out for ferrules (usually ~4mm, but you'd need to buy some and check as you go).

If you don't use them, the strings will dig into the body and damage the wood. There's a lot of tension on strings and pressure that would be directed straight into paint and wood.
Quote by Explorerbuilder

How exactly does that plate get bent? that is kind of impossible.

That's what I thought. It's the bottom point that sits next to the scratch plate. I can't figure out how it does done unless it was bent before being screwed on in the factory. There's no marks underneath to suggest that someone has tried to force it off and that's what's bugging me