Page 1 of 4
this whole shitstorm is still going on, btw
Quote by BBC Article
There is no doubt Syria's government has used sarin during the country's crisis, says France's foreign minister.
Laurent Fabius said lab tests in Paris confirmed numerous uses of the nerve agent, adding that those who resort to chemical weapons must be punished.

But he did not specify where or when the agent had been deployed; the White House has said more proof was needed.

According to a UK Foreign Office spokesman, Britain "has obtained physiological samples from inside Syria which have tested positive for the nerve agent sarin".
The UK statement added: "There is a growing body of limited but persuasive information showing that the regime used - and continues to use - chemical weapons" in Syria.

In a new report, the UN commission of inquiry on Syria also urged foreign powers not to increase the availability of arms in Syria. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon described the atrocities listed in the report - which details evidence of fresh suspected massacres, sieges and violations of children's rights - as "sickening and staggering", said his spokesman.

Children have been taken hostage, forced to watch torture and even participate in beheadings, says the report.
Others have been killed while fighting in the two-year uprising against President Bashar Assad's regime that the UN says has left at least 80,000 people dead.

"War crimes and crimes against humanity have become a daily reality," it says.

source: France's Fabius 'confirms sarin use' by Syria regime
also: Syria conflict has reached new levels of brutality - UN

The US's stance is that the 'red line' Obama described has not yet been reached, although it would seem that the goalposts are being shifted.

Will this development prove to be a game-changer?
Would arming the rebels only make the situation worse, and give us the possible situation better arming Al-Quaeda/Islamist groups in the fractured opposition, or is that a risk which needs to be taken?
And won't somebody please think of the children?

██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████

[Dropbox]
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 5, 2013,
they have so much that they're even selling it
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
All things considered, I don't think the US wants to get involved. Of course, we also didn't want to get involved in WWII, so we'll see how it plays out.

That said, I really wish my country would stop trying to police the world...
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
They have less oil than the UK. Probably why nobody has intervened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

What a Cynical Sally I am.

give it a few years, the UK won't have so much oil

but Scotland will
Quote by Hydra150
give it a few years, the UK won't have so much oil

but Scotland will

Won't be long before we find out about their WMD program and bring good old British freedom back though.

OT: Fuck this guy.

"why not sarin? woooop woop woop woop!" - Bashar al-Assad
Last edited by Johnny_Ibanez at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
Won't be long before we find out about their WMD program and bring good old British freedom back though.

Not if Mel Gibson has anything to do with it.

and we're more than happy for you to take those WMD's off our hands
Not many western countries like the idea of war at the moment. And when it appears to be both sides using chemical weapons it becomes a little bit more concerning, and getting involved becomes even less appealing.
RIP Gooze

cats
why is it ok for one side to use chemical weapons and its fine, but assad uses it and it crosses a red line? I honestly can't say that, if I was in Assads position and facing a foreign sponsored armed insurgency in my country aimed at toppling a government, that I'd be doing anything different.
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
man this whole Syria thing is getting more and more ****ed every day isn't it?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I'm happy we're staying away. There are no good guys over there, just different shades of asshole and innocent people caught in between like our beloved ali.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm personally not a fan of doing nothing when we know chemical weapons are being used. But obviously if we tried to help people out of an awful situation half of you spastics would decide it was just for their oil or resources because you're all fuckwits who couldn't give half a shit about human life as long as you can feel superior to Republicans
Quote by willT08
couldn't give half a shit about human life as long as you can feel superior to Republicans

Mmm, this too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by willT08
But obviously if we tried to help people out of an awful situation half of you spastics would decide it was just for their oil or resources because you're all fuckwits who couldn't give half a shit about human life as long as you can feel superior to Republicans

i love you
Quote by willT08
because you're all fuckwits who couldn't give half a shit about human life as long as you can feel superior to Republicans

Assuming that there are any real differences between Republicans and Democrats to begin with
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Assuming that there are any real differences between Republicans and Democrats to begin with

Yeah you're dumb as well
Quote by willT08
Yeah you're dumb as well

Please explain.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
Please explain.

Democrats are communists.
Republicans are fascists.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by stonyman65
Please explain.

His implied assertion is that there is in fact a real ideological difference between Republicans and Democrats.
If you would like to explain why you think that is wrong, you're free to do so.
Quote by willT08
I'm personally not a fan of doing nothing when we know chemical weapons are being used. But obviously if we tried to help people out of an awful situation half of you spastics would decide it was just for their oil or resources because you're all fuckwits who couldn't give half a shit about human life as long as you can feel superior to Republicans

how to act morally superior 101
Quote by So-Cal
how to act morally superior 101

guys cmon we dont need our own civil war
guys
cmon
guys
Quote by Hydra150
His implied assertion is that there is in fact a real ideological difference between Republicans and Democrats.
If you would like to explain why you think that is wrong, you're free to do so.

Because they'll do whatever they want as long as it works for their current agenda and screwing over the other party. Ideology has nothing to do with. Power does.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
Because they'll do whatever they want as long as it works for their current agenda and screwing over the other party. Ideology has nothing to do with. Power does.

Yeah I wasn't talking about specifically Republican politicians, I meant all Republicans. I don't know where you think parties come up with their agendas if not from what they think about things but whatever.

Anyway, to put it in it's simplest form, anyone who'd rather do nothing is a moral pussy.
Quote by willT08
Yeah I wasn't talking about specifically Republican politicians, I meant all Republicans. I don't know where you think parties come up with their agendas if not from what they think about things but whatever.

Anyway, to put it in it's simplest form, anyone who'd rather do nothing is a moral pussy.

is intervention really a good idea though? it's a shitty situation of course, but it could mean prolonging the conflict and putting more lives at risk
Quote by willT08

I guess I am a moral pussy then. I have no desire to see the children of my friends go off and die. There is no compelling national interest for the US in intervening in Syria. Let the Russians do it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I guess I am a moral pussy then. I have no desire to see the children of my friends go off and die. There is no compelling national interest for the US in intervening in Syria. Let the Russians do it.

You probably are.

I didn't say dick about a military invasion either
Quote by Jackal58
Let the Russians do it.

Does that seem likely?
Even if military intervention was what we went for, the UK and France could do it. Then Erik can claim the US did everything like with Libya again
Quote by willT08
You probably are.

I didn't say dick about a military invasion either

Don't really care what you said.

Quote by willT08
Even if military intervention was what we went for, the UK and France could do it. Then Erik can claim the US did everything like with Libya again

Ya let the UK and France deal with it. After all they created the mess that is the middle east.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by willT08
I don't know where you think parties come up with their agendas if not from what they think about things but whatever.

But that's my point right there - if they really did what their ideology thought was the right thing to do, they wouldn't be doing most of the things that they are doing now. Their ideology changes with what is acceptable at the time. At least thats what those in power do. That's the reason why the world is in this mess to begin with. It's all a game to them.

Just my $.02 on the political side of things....

But anyways. This isn't about party politics. It's about Syria so....

I think the big problem with the whole US intervention thing right now, and why people are kind of put off about it, is because of what has happened recently with US "intervention" within the last 20 years or so, specifically Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody wants Syria to turn into another Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom again. With as bad as things are now, there is a real fear that doing something like that would make things even worse. That's the last thing anyone wants.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by stonyman65 at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by stonyman65
$0.2.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Hey man give me a break. I just woke up like an hour ago and I'm still half asleep
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
Nobody wants Syria to turn into another Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom again. With as bad as things are now, there is a real fear that doing something like that would make things even worse. That's the last thing anyone wants.

But people aren't suggesting putting boots on the ground like in those conflicts, but rather expanding the support we offer to the team we like better, like with those arguably successful operations in Lybia.
However, like in Lybia, the opposition is not one cohesive group, and we wouldn't really know who we would be helping, and ousting Assad would not guarantee peace.
As oppressive as he has been, the strength of Assad's regime has kept the area stable and, while we might agree and sympathise with the grievances and desire for change of the protesters who became warriors, a post-Assad Syria is not likely to be a stable one any time soon, particularly not with various groups providing weapons to the rebels. Also, Syria is a much different country than Lybia, with a stronger army and stronger allies, so even with intervention shit probably wouldn't go down similarly.

/uninformed speculating
Quote by Hydra150
But people aren't suggesting putting boots on the ground like in those conflicts, but rather expanding the support we offer to the team we like better, like with those arguably successful operations in Lybia.
However, like in Lybia, the opposition is not one cohesive group, and we wouldn't really know who we would be helping, and ousting Assad would not guarantee peace.
As oppressive as he has been, the strength of Assad's regime has kept the area stable and, while we might agree and sympathise with the grievances and desire for change of the protesters who became warriors, a post-Assad Syria is not likely to be a stable one any time soon, particularly not with various groups providing weapons to the rebels. Also, Syria is a much different country than Lybia, with a stronger army and stronger allies, so even with intervention shit probably wouldn't go down similarly.

/uninformed speculating

I guess . I don't know man. The whole thing is so ****ed I don't think anyone really knows what to do right now.

"damned if you do, damned if you don't"
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
we should just make a save file here and intervene to see how it goes, and if we **** shit up we reload and play it cool
Page 1 of 4