okay so i'm considering jb's because i want to play stuff from sublime and around that tone but also want to play high gainy stuff
I'll mainly be playing the harder stuff but do once in a while play sublime and the strokes stuff
will it be able to play stuff like the ones listed below but also sublime?

Bring me the horizon's new stuff
Bullet for my valentine
Metallica
Slayer

Guitar Specs
Basswood body
flamed maple top
25.5 in scale
current pickups: v7 v8 stock ibanez pickups
hardtail
rosewood fretboard

Current amp:
Peavey vypyr 60 (tube version)
peavye 6505+ combo
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Jun 5, 2013,
I have a JB in the bridge of my G-400 and it will do a wide range of tones from classic-rock/blues to modern metal. It will work well for what you want it to do, but if you want a great hi-gain pickup get something else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you are looking for a metal pickup, the JB isn't that great.
The JB is good for 80's tones and maybe medium to heavy rock genres.
Of course with the right rig about any guitar will do balls-out metal, but as already said, if you are looking for a pickup that's great for metal, look elsewhere.

In your place I'd take a look at the Duncan Custom, Distortion, Full Shred, Alternative 8 or Dimarzio Crunch Lab, Dominion or Evo 2 for bridge.

For the other 2 positions I have no idea and even the bridge suggestions are kinda vague as you didn't tell anything but that you play heavy stuff but want something that sounds good with less distortion as well.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The JB (in my ltd mh 1000nt) is the "jack of all trades but master of none" it'll do everything but it's not the king of any genre

It CAN do metal, but once you start comparing it to a dimarzio d activator, d sonic (in my tele) and duncan distortion you will hear the lack of oomph

Then again, the jb will do better cleans than any of those. Consider the JB a "safe pick"
???
it can, but it wouldn't be my first choice. it's a bit loose on the bass, and the alnico magnet means it's a little soft-sounding for metal, too.

depends on what you mean by metal, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hate the JB for metal, but it's also lacking in all areas, imo. As was already said, "Jack of all trades, master of none".

The Duncan Distortion is pretty good, but both Duncan and Dimarzio have many different pickups that focus more on playing metal.
Similar to other posts... JB is a great, versatile Hot Pickup... But there are better pickups for high gain that have more definition. Duncan Distortion. DiMarzio Super Distortion.. Gibson 500T... Most of your Ceramic based pups from major manufacturers will be better suited for high gain.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
Quote by JustRooster
This is a very agreeable thread.
I would agree with that.
Personally, I love the JB. It is great for hard rock, or 80's glam oriented metal. I have it in the bridge position of a Jackson RR5, and in a Charvel San Dimas.

Dave Mustaine has been known to use the Seymour Ducan JB.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
My Eclipse has a JB in the bridge and I love it for metal. It's fantastic for standard tuning but gets muddy for lower tunings (in my experience). I play it through a Peavey 6505 with a boost pedal and get great mid to high gain tones. Plus it cleans up very nicely with the volume rolled back, making it versatile (as mentioned above).

EDIT: I also have a JB7 in my RG321 and can't stand it. I think the basswood does not work well with the JB. I would recommend a Dimarzio Evolution or something of that nature for a basswood guitar.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by gorgthemeatpile at Jun 7, 2013,
yes. the jb will do just fine. i have never seen anything that the jb cant do.
Depends on the amp. A Dimarzio super distortion would be way better for high gain, not so much for clean although it will do clean if you roll back the volume on the guitar. And I have found for high gain Seymore Duncan is lacking until you get past the sh6. I have a sh6 and its kinda flubby, I don't like it.. I had a sh8 and want to get another one.

Also I personaly prefer series/parallel over series/tap. It cuts the output but still retains the humbucking ability of the pickup.
What the hell!!!
The JB lacks so much attack and definition.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Newbie...
to sum it all up for you... The JB will do the job, but if you want it spot-on, get a pickup with a ceramic magnet. I had the JB in my LTD Eclipse for a while and it sounded a bit thin and airy to me when I would play with high gain settings. The Gibson 500T I have now sounds so much more full and has much more definition.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
^ that's probably worth a try, good call. never tried it myself (i swapped pickups before i heard about it ) but as you say, you have little to lose.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes.

However for what you want to play an EMG 81 / 60 or 85 would be a lot better, I think. All of those bands actually have EMGs in common.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X