Hi!
I'm a professional classical musician and have entered a challenge with a friend who plays guitar in a Local metal band. Basically we need to learn the others instrument in a year and at the moment the plan is to have some kind of performance with the others band (in my case) and orchestra ( in his)....well nothing but hey! I was just wandering what guitar I should get to start/not start. Maybe a few ideas with varying price ranges? I hope this is in the right area of this website and that someone can help ...... If ever anyone needs tips on what French Horn to buy I'll kindly return the favor...:P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha yea... forgot to mention I have on of them as there was one lying around at work Mesaboogie thingy, my friend said it was plenty good enough, dunno any thing more about it though! But amps no good without guitar....obviously....
So you need a guitar to play into your mesaboogie thingy. Hmmm.

Well, I was going to send you over to the Electric Guitar forum because that is where this belongs but there are a bunch of 'tards over there so maybe you should stay here?

Use this as a format and get us some of these answers:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 5, 2013,
If your willing to help I'll stay here yea. Budget well don't wanna spend too much :/ so maybe anywhere in between a quid to 500 quid?, artists wise Dream Theater are pretty epic but I doubt there guitarist has been playing for a year.........., pick ups..no idea , look of the guitar not too fussed to be honest, I'd probably rather new but again not majorly bothered, Current gear my good old Mesaboogie thingy! Really not much help....sorry!
The question I would ask, is are you planning on keeping playing after the year, or just doing it for this?

But a good starting point to look at is the Squire Classic Vibe range.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I expect I will keep it up, in fact almost certainly! Unless i suck majorly....
So let me get this strait.

You are to learn electric guitar and your friend is to learn French Horn?

Let me guess. You guys got into an argument about which instrument was harder to play?

(PS I played trombone in my HS marching band)

So do you have to play a particular type of music or just whatever you learn?

Do you have to play in his metal band and he has to play horn in your orchestra?

Anyway, I would think something like a Standard Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Stratocaster (similar to Squier mentioned by Ben) would be a good starting point. Guitars are kind of hard because they are all different shapes and colors and such. Can you go to a music shop and at least strap a few of these on?

My suggestion is to invest in a good guitar strap first. No joke. Something that is comfortable for you. Then take that with you to the various shops and put it on every guitar you try out.

Try a few models, namely:

Fender/Squier Stratocaster
Fender/Squier Telecaster
Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul
Gibson/Epiphone ES-300 something something
Gibson Flying V
Schecter C1+/Classic
Ibanez anything
PRS Guitars (good call Linkerman)

In otherwords. Get a feel for the basic styles and then narrow down from there based on feel and price.

Keep us posted please.
I suggest a Paul Reed Smith SE model.
Either a 245, a Singlecut or a Custom 24.

Excellent guitars.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
That's correct i have to play a gig ( only a local one most likely) and he has to do one of the smaller concerts we do ( only if we are both good enough though ! It wasn't arguing over which is easier as all instruments can be and are just as hard but in completely different ways. we just thought it would be amusing, and I have always wanted to play the guitar ! Yea there is a good guitar shop not far from me , I'll pop down there and have a play tommorrow i expect, i just wanted some idea before I went in ! With regards to the genre it will be metal I play in the end ( hopefully) but how to go about learning will be a whooole other issue! Hahaha!
Quote by Quenoxor
That's correct i have to play a gig ( only a local one most likely) and he has to do one of the smaller concerts we do ( only if we are both good enough though ! It wasn't arguing over which is easier as all instruments can be and are just as hard but in completely different ways. we just thought it would be amusing, and I have always wanted to play the guitar ! Yea there is a good guitar shop not far from me , I'll pop down there and have a play tommorrow i expect, i just wanted some idea before I went in ! With regards to the genre it will be metal I play in the end ( hopefully) but how to go about learning will be a whooole other issue! Hahaha!

This is a very interesting 'challenge', stick around here and keep us posted!

You might even learn something here, but don't count on it...

For your initial instruction, if you're not going to get a face-to-face teacher, try justinguitar.com

Good solid free instruction in easy, bite sized chunks.

FWIW, I think you got the easier end of the bet!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by Quenoxor
With regards to the genre it will be metal I play in the end ( hopefully) but how to go about learning will be a whooole other issue! Hahaha!

Tune your guitar down to Drop C and bang out some basic barre chords. BAM! Instant metal
In the same way to play a Mahler Symphony all he has to do is plonk down a couple of valves and blow down the bugger .
Yea I'll keep y'all posted, although I never though buying a guitar would be such a challenge...theres like a billion.............
Yeah. It can be a bit daunting. I remember when I picked up guitar 5 years ago I was so frickin lost as to all the choices. I should have come here first. The key is to figure out which body shape you like best and then narrow it down from there. That's my opinion anyway.

Again, get a strap. You will waste a lot of time if you don't. Then you can adjust it to your body size and for the most part it will fit for you for all guitars. The other thing is to pick a practice position and stick with it. Sit or Stand basically. The reason for this is that in order to learn guitar (like most instruments and even most sports and the like where hand and finger dexterity is important) your muscles need to 'learn' where to be. Very important with all these frets and strings.

So, if you are going to play in a metal band I doubt you want to be sitting

I stand all the time. I never sit when I play guitar. It doesn't feel natural to me. Some people I know (gregs1020) can play equally well sitting or standing but they are really good. I'm just saying keep the muscles in mind as you teach yourself these chords and licks.

Most importantly. Have fun.
When I started guitar, comfort was one issue I had. Make sure whatever guitar you buy, have the store tech have it "set up" for action, intonation, etc... There's a sticky on the Electric Guitar forum that is full of great information. As for specific guitars, just find one that feels right and comfortable to you. Get a good feel of the neck and make sure it's comfortable to play. Necks can be either thin or thick so depending on your hand size, make sure you check look out for that. Also, if you're going to do metal, a humbucker pickup guitar might be a good starting point, though it's not law that metal has to be done with a humbucker.

Again, the Electric Guitar forum has got some good info as well as other places so try to do some good reading and hands on research before you purchase one.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater