I feel like the nature of pedalboards and how one switches effects just seems so dang..clumsy and not ergonomic at all?

I mean, you are dancing around on stage rocking out, and then halfway through a song you have to stop, find a small little metal button on your pedalboard, which is next to 14 other small metal buttons, and hit that exactly on time and without tripping. And the the more effects you use, the more often you have to do this.

There has to be a better way. Thoughts? other than having a guitar tech do it for you.

Solutions:
Effects Switching that does not involve having to hit small target with your foot - maybe attach to your guitar? connected wireless to your pedalbaord?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
MIDI switching and rackmount gear.

Been around for years.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Multi-effect pedals

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Either don't use effects so much, or get some midi-programmable gear.

Unless you're into a genre that uses a lot of different effects, you'll find yourself using fewer and fewer with time. I used to think that I wanted a flanger, phaser, distortion, overdrive, wah, etc., but now, I realize that using all of these effects isn't going to cover up the sound of a shitty sounding amp.

In other words, before you go buying a bunch of different effects, consider what you're ACTUALLY trying to do with them. Are you using them for the music you're playing, or trying to cover up the crappy sound of an amp that you're using? If it's the second, you'd be better off buying a new amp.

I know you weren't asking about buying effects and such, but I figured that it was relative.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait...You have all that awesome gear and don't know what MIDI is?

EDIT2: Never mind that first edit. I thought the Dual Rec. was midi programmable. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that you have that beast of an amp and haven't heard of MIDI control.

EDIT3: Those external FX Loop things look pretty sweet, if you would use a lot of effects.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 5, 2013,
Quote by The.new.guy
Either don't use effects so much, or get some midi-programmable gear.

Unless you're into a genre that uses a lot of different effects, you'll find yourself using fewer and fewer with time. I used to think that I wanted a flanger, phaser, distortion, overdrive, wah, etc., but now, I realize that using all of these effects isn't going to cover up the sound of a shitty sounding amp.

In other words, before you go buying a bunch of different effects, consider what you're ACTUALLY trying to do with them. Are you using them for the music you're playing, or trying to cover up the crappy sound of an amp that you're using? If it's the second, you'd be better off buying a new amp.

I know you weren't asking about buying effects and such, but I figured that it was relative.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait...You have all that awesome gear and don't know what MIDI is?

EDIT2: Never mind that first edit. I thought the Dual Rec. was midi programmable. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that you have that beast of an amp and haven't heard of MIDI control.

EDIT3: Those external FX Loop things look pretty sweet, if you would use a lot of effects.

Heard of it, have not really looked at it. That's why I am posting here.
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
my solution is, i just try to be as minimal as i can with pedals when i'm playing live.

usually i just stick with the same tone all the time (just a light crunch) and only use pedals to give my solos a bit of a boost, so i just position my pedalboard at the front of the stage next to the monitors, which is generally where i'm going to be when i'm playing a solo, as part of the performance. that way, they don't get in the way of the performance too much.

ideally i think i'd like to just have an active boost/compressor circuit built into my guitar which can be activated and deactivated with the flick of a switch (on the guitar, of course), and then the sound man can put modulation or delay effects on my tone if he wants them.. or if he thinks that should be my job, he can just not do it, i mean, who really cares as long as it still sounds good?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
This is why some guys just have the guitar tech hit pedals backstage. Or you can do what Prince does—have different pedalboards for different songs and make people rush them to the stage and place them at your feet. No, really, he does that. In the round.
Octaswitch. Iirc danny has one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
This feels like one of those informercials that's trying to convince you to care more about something that you don't mind so that they can sell you something. I'm sure it's a real problem for some people but it doesn't seem like this is something that most guitarists struggle with in any major way.

(Voiceover)Do you hate small, annoying switches on your pedalboard? Don't you wish there were something better?
Black and white shot of a guitarist stumbling clumsily over three MXR pedals with the logos taped over; cut to a suburban mom wrestling in exasperation at three or four tangled guitar cables.
(Voiceover)Well, now there is!
Camera switches to full color; suburban mom looks up from cables with an excited but inquisitive expression
(Zakk Wylde, via greenscreen)Hi, I'm Zakk Wylde, guitarist famous for my work with BLS and Ozzy Osbourne, and my willingness to put my name on absolutely any product that my agent puts in front of me!
(Voiceover)Zakk's patented system (fine print at bottom of screen: "Not actually patented; system does not actually work") lets you do away with klutzy cables (buzzer sound; big red X appears over the tangled cables) and finnicky switches. (buzzer sound; big red X appears over the pedals)
(Voiceover)Yes, it's the brand new X-rocks Kinnect! Just put it on top of your amp, plug your pedals in, and switch settings by simply waving your arms!
Cut to clumsy guitarist now playing in front of a huge crowd, doing windmills and crowdsurfing; the suburban mom is now doing the Dougie with her three kids; all are foaming at the mouth from excitement.
(Voiceover)That's right, for just eighteen easy payments of 39.95, we'll send you this great new product that totally works! But wait, there's more...
Quote by Roc8995

(Zakk Wylde, via greenscreen)Hi, I'm Zakk Wylde, guitarist famous for my work with BLS and Ozzy Osbourne, and my willingness to put my name on absolutely any product that my agent puts in front of me!

Classic!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Roc8995
This feels like one of those informercials that's trying to convince you to care more about something that you don't mind so that they can sell you something. I'm sure it's a real problem for some people but it doesn't seem like this is something that most guitarists struggle with in any major way.

(Voiceover)Do you hate small, annoying switches on your pedalboard? Don't you wish there were something better?
Black and white shot of a guitarist stumbling clumsily over three MXR pedals with the logos taped over; cut to a suburban mom wrestling in exasperation at three or four tangled guitar cables.
Camera switches to full color; suburban mom looks up from cables with an excited but inquisitive expression
(Voiceover)Zakk's patented system (fine print at bottom of screen: "Not actually patented; system does not actually work") lets you do away with klutzy cables (buzzer sound; big red X appears over the tangled cables) and finnicky switches. (buzzer sound; big red X appears over the pedals)
(Voiceover)Yes, it's the brand new X-rocks Kinnect! Just put it on top of your amp, plug your pedals in, and switch settings by simply waving your arms!
Cut to clumsy guitarist now playing in front of a huge crowd, doing windmills and crowdsurfing; the suburban mom is now doing the Dougie with her three kids; all are foaming at the mouth from excitement.
(Voiceover)That's right, for just eighteen easy payments of 39.95, we'll send you this great new product that totally works! But wait, there's more...

i first heard of zakk wylde from marshall MG adverts and i honestly thought he was just a cheesey advertising mascot, like barry scott or juan sheet

i think another interesting way of doing it would be to have everyone play to a metronome and have a system where your pedals switch automatically at pre-programmed points in the songs. this will require in-ear monitors for everyone in the band though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Roc8995

Legend.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Octaswitch. you get 8 buttons, and each of those 8 buttons has 8 small switches so you can choose which 8 effects come on when you press that button. So button one can have Chorus and Delay, button 2 can be Fuzz and Delay, Button 3 can be all 8 pedals on at once, and so on.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Midi all the way. Numerous systems [rjm rack gizmo, voodoo lab gcc for example] are for switching on and off non midi pedals. A lot of rack gear is midi, as well as some guitar pedals. With these you usually have control of each parameter via midi rather than just on/off.

Anyway, the point is - midi does this.
RIP Gooze

cats
MIDI (and general MFX programming), bitches.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Carl Martin Octaswitch Mk2 is Midi Programmable IIRC EDIT: They are not

I also modded one for a customer once so that there was an always-on coloured LED by each of the switches so he just had to stomp by the correct LED and didn't have to think much
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jun 7, 2013,