Page 1 of 2
Having a sense of humor is good for scoring points with chicks. Allegedly anyway. Not so much with the arts. Whether theatre, literature, film, visual art or music, comedy seems to, in some degree, be relegated to something less than real art. Example: a comedy hasn't won Best Picture since 1978 (unless you count Forrest Gump, I guess).

However, I feel like funny music is, for whatever reason, even more maligned than any other medium (perhaps with the exception of visual arts). I'm not sure why, but it seems like even bringing up the subject people immediately categorize anything funny as novelty a la Weird Al. Not every comedy movie is Airplane! though.

So, as someone whose favorite bands (Ween, TMBG, Dead Milkmen, MTX, etc) largely incorporate humor to some degree, I would like to foster a discussion of bands with humorous lyrical content to perhaps legitimize them. But also, why do you think people react so negatively to funny art and consider it a novelty?
#DTWD
Yeah my favorite group Das Racist [RIP] went through this. They rapped about serious subjects but in a funny way. Whatever
Doesn't always hold up. Post Modernism usually incorporates humor.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Never heard of them. Thanks for the mention. Having a single called "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" certainly gives me inklings of potential.
#DTWD
Comedic things typically don't tend to impact you on the deeper level that award-winning things do.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by primusfan
Never heard of them. Thanks for the mention. Having a single called "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" certainly gives me inklings of potential.

That was the first song they ever recorded and not really indicative of their later work <_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxmFBf8B-A

Here's my favorite son by them
You want to hear something funny? Women's rights.

That's my favorite pickup line.

I think that because comedy resides on the lighter side of our concious, we take that same approach to things that present it--music or otherwise. Anything that makes you laugh will automatically be "light", and therefore maybe not as important.

Just speculation.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jun 5, 2013,
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Comedic things typically don't tend to impact you on the deeper level that award-winning things do.

If a horror movie makes you scared, it's good. If a drama makes you cry, it's good. If a comedy makes you laugh, it's good. I don't know why we hold one up and diminish the other two. They're all feelings and all can relate to deeper things like social issues or philosophical questions.
#DTWD
I dunno man. Austin Powers Goldmember really makes me laugh, but also reflect upon the potentially negative impacts of time travel.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

zappa

comedy comes in various shades and subtleties. as long as the mood and premise are strong, there will typically be an innate sense of comedy in an artist's toolbox.

however, it's very easy to overdo it. if your premise is a series of set-ups and punchlines, the effect suffers. this is why most purely comedic artforms aren't taken seriously - there's little nuance. this holds true with most things - if a piece of overwhelmingly dramatic, it just gets numb; if a horror movie has too much gore, it gets predictable.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I guess it would be inappropriate for me to chastise someone for being facetious in a thread about not respecting humor. Damn you and your mind tricks, eGraham!
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
If a horror movie makes you scared, it's good. If a drama makes you cry, it's good. If a comedy makes you laugh, it's good. I don't know why we hold one up and diminish the other two. They're all feelings and all can relate to deeper things like social issues or philosophical questions.

I agree personally, but I generally value other emotions movies can give me over laughter, and it's rare they seriously try anything apart from being funny. And I think another aspect of it is that comedy seems to be more subjective. Movies that even the simply majority of people find funny are really rare. Same with other forms of art.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I'm voting PrimusFan as TS of the year. Interested in checking out suggestions from the following posts.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Hail
comedy comes in various shades and subtleties. as long as the mood and premise are strong, there will typically be an innate sense of comedy in an artist's toolbox.

however, it's very easy to overdo it. if your premise is a series of set-ups and punchlines, the effect suffers. this is why most purely comedic artforms aren't taken seriously - there's little nuance. this holds true with most things - if a piece of overwhelmingly dramatic, it just gets numb; if a horror movie has too much gore, it gets predictable.

What? Comedy has plenty of potential for a nuanced narrative. Whether or not you like him, Stewart Lee has multiple layers of abstraction to his standup, and crafts his material to be layered and consistent throughout. I'd understand and agree with you if you were talking only about one-liner comedians and those that appear on panel shows.
i like the steinways.
i like the ergs.
that's my contribution to this thread.

One of the reasons I have recently got into Mr Bungle is because the lyrics are hilarious.

Oh and on the topic of comedies not winning awards, generally their only real chance would be at best actor/actress or possibly screenplay.

Also one way of looking at it is that all a comedy needs to do is to make you laugh. If you laugh at a comedy, it has done it's job. Even if the sense of humour in the movie is childish or simple toilet humour, if it makes you laugh then it has done it's job. Because of this, there are plenty of comedies that do exactly this, but not much else. The kind of movies you watch once, laugh at, and forget.

Some comedies however do end up winning Oscars, generally because there was a lot more to them than simply "being funny". Two examples I can think of are A Fish Called Wanda and Tropic Thunder. Kevin Kline won an oscar for AFCW and Robert Downey Jr. was nominated in Tropic Thunder. Both films had great scripts, and both characters were more than simple joke machines that so many comedies seem to rely on.

A lot of great movies have plenty of comedy in them, such as Tarantino's and the Coen Bros', but the comedy is rarely the focus of the movie. Movies that focus on simply making the viewer laugh frequently end up having very little characterisation and a story that is simply a vehicle to get from one quirky circumstance to another.
Last edited by Random3 at Jun 5, 2013,
I don't really understand why comedies don't win Oscars, i've just kinda accepted that that's how it's meant to be so it's no biggie. Music that is funny is almost 100% novelty though because it usually doesn't really sound good. I don't consider They Might Be Giants or Ween or Das Racist in that category though, cuz while they are humorous it isn't the primary reason for their existence.

Weird Al is funny but I would never want to listen to him unless i'm with a group of friends and we're looking up funny youtube videos (see: middle school).

Like in movies, a movie that relies on laughter to tell its story is nice sometimes but it can get old cuz what happens when it isn't funny? But having a good story that can be told with humor sprinkled throughout is going to be more often good because it can tell a story in a way that doesn't necessarily get old.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Jun 5, 2013,
Right. Something can be serious and good, but also really funny. There seems to be a false dichotomy.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
Right. Something can be serious and good, but also really funny. There seems to be a false dichotomy.

Unfortunately this thread doesn't fit any of that criteria

lol amirite guys?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

PUSA is another good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furq8lobb9I

it's not "funny" per se. just a good rock tune with a little humor thrown in (i.e. the second verse, which is just the summation of a brady bunch episode). because why not have a verse about the brady bunch?
#DTWD
People who refuse to acknowledge that comedy can tell a serious, interesting, engaging story are almost as bad as people who refuse to acknowledge that something serious and heartfelt is ruined by adding comedic elements.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by TooktheAtrain
What? Comedy has plenty of potential for a nuanced narrative. Whether or not you like him, Stewart Lee has multiple layers of abstraction to his standup, and crafts his material to be layered and consistent throughout. I'd understand and agree with you if you were talking only about one-liner comedians and those that appear on panel shows.

i was thinking in terms of film. i adore george carlin and tim minchin, but comedy films that legitimately hit deeper are few and far between unless you're looking into dark comedy (royal tenenbaums, not good burger)
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
A lot of the times, comedy isn't taken seriously since there are a lot that just focus on it being funny and don't have much substance. That's why some of the best ones are the comedies that actually have more to it.

I'm sure most, if not all of you have been in this situation before: "this is a stupid movie, but god is it hilarious"
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
My boy Eminem does some funny stuff. I also think he does serious stuff better than nobody's business.

He's the best though, so it's not surprising really
My God, it's full of stars!
Tenacious D rock the shit and also make me laugh. I find that their humor never takes away from the awesome riff-age and tunes going down.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by primusfan
Having a sense of humor is good for scoring points with chicks. Allegedly anyway. Not so much with the arts. Whether theatre, literature, film, visual art or music, comedy seems to, in some degree, be relegated to something less than real art. Example: a comedy hasn't won Best Picture since 1978 (unless you count Forrest Gump, I guess).

However, I feel like funny music is, for whatever reason, even more maligned than any other medium (perhaps with the exception of visual arts). I'm not sure why, but it seems like even bringing up the subject people immediately categorize anything funny as novelty a la Weird Al. Not every comedy movie is Airplane! though.

So, as someone whose favorite bands (Ween, TMBG, Dead Milkmen, MTX, etc) largely incorporate humor to some degree, I would like to foster a discussion of bands with humorous lyrical content to perhaps legitimize them. But also, why do you think people react so negatively to funny art and consider it a novelty?

I think Tenacious D is actually a really amazing band. From a musical standpoint they are great on their instruments. Jack Blacks singing in particular is phenomenal.

I must admit I don't really like many humor bands, but that's mostly because they aren't good musically, usually has nothing to do with the humor. For example I'm not a fan of Flight of the Conchords (sp?) because it sounds like acoustic folky easy listening, which I'm not into. Even though the content may be funny. Tenacious D on the other hand is straight up rock, and their movie album (in context after seeing the film) is hilarious. All their music is hilarious.

Afroman is funny to listen to. I only have his "Because I Got High" album, but all but 1 song on that album in enjoyable to me (that "song" is just a speech over the beat from "because I got high"). Mostly about getting drunk and smoking weed, but it's funny, too.

I don't know, when comedy music is done right, it's usually awesome. That's the issue, for me atleast. It has to be really good for me to get into it in the first place.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

The Darkness?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Good ol Devy is the perfect mix of humor and drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUS_sjVaRjU

The reason there aren't more funny bands out there is because being funny is much, MUCH more difficult than being serious or dramatic. Very few people are genuinely funny, but everybody can relate to anger, sadness or other serious things.

Also, obligatory Mike Patton mention. Not for making funny music, but for being so genuinely odd that it's incredibly funny to me personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNDKsyvMOI
Quote by slash_GNR666
The Darkness?

****ing awesome band.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by naedauuf
Afroman is funny to listen to. I only have his "Because I Got High" album, but all but 1 song on that album in enjoyable to me (that "song" is just a speech over the beat from "because I got high"). Mostly about getting drunk and smoking weed, but it's funny, too.

Holy shit Afroman is SO good, I thought I was the only one who still remembers him!
what i like about lots of '90s emo is that even when they wear their hearts on their sleeves they usually were still goofy dudes who had a sense of humor.
It seems like one of the only ways humor is taken seriously is if it's satire.

Also, people should check out Rucka Rucka Ali if you want a childish, over the top, offensive Wierd Al.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by CoreysMonster
Holy shit Afroman is SO good, I thought I was the only one who still remembers him!

Ever hear the song "She won't let me..."? When he sings "Bitch, you must think I'm gay." is sooo funny. The way he sings it makes me lol every time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjTuHcxXao
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Page 1 of 2