So, recently my wife and children decided they wanted to "jam" with me on the weekends. They haven't previously played instruments except my oldest son has played some guitar and my wife has done vocals for stuff I've recorded. We ended up jamming to 'About a Girl', the Nirvana Unplugged version and it was okay - I have to teach all of them their parts during the week after work, and they practice for the weekend. It was actually extremely fun and we recorded it with a Zoom H1.

Now, they want to learn another song and suddenly they're all very passionate about music and the whole thing is a lot of fun for me. My problem is when I'm trying to pick the next song for them I keep coming up with stuff that is a little too difficult. Right now I'm trying to work through the entire Nirvana Unplugged setlist (because most of those songs are really easy and I like that album), but I need some ideas of stuff that is fairly simple. I'm playing lead guitar, my wife is playing bass, my oldes son is playing rhythm guitar and my middle son is doing vocals and simple percussion (i.e., tambourine, an empty box, eventually gonna buy him some bongos or something).

I'm not like a virtuoso, and they aren't trying to get great at their instruments, necessarily, we need some simple songs to play together that I can teach them and they practice throughout the week.
Last edited by katalyzt13 at Jun 5, 2013,
I think it's more important to pick songs you guys all like and enjoy together. Then focus on the difficulty.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
I think it's more important to pick songs you guys all like and enjoy together. Then focus on the difficulty.

Yes, well, that is a given. I was hoping for some actual song suggestions, though.
Sounds like you enjoy 90s alternative. Foo fighters, STP, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP are pretty simple and fun. Oh Do Fade to Black and post it on YouTube and I bet you'll get like a million views
Quote by sweetdude3000
Sounds like you enjoy 90s alternative. Foo fighters, STP, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP are pretty simple and fun. Oh Do Fade to Black and post it on YouTube and I bet you'll get like a million views

yeah, I was thinking about doing 'Disarm' by Smashing Pumpkins sometime soon, but RHCP might be too much, Bass-wise, for my wife at the moment...
A lot of Rolling Stones songs are pretty simple in the bass line...maybe Jumping Jack Flash?
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone - this will definitely give me a starting point!