Hey all! I literally just joined the forum a few minutes ago because I really need some input on where to go for my next guitar amp...

Since this is my first post I'll give a quick little intro about myself. I've been playing guitar for about seven years now and I play anything from post-hardcore to classic rock. I own four guitars: a cheaper Ibanez electric that was my starter, an Ibanez acoustic, a newer Ibanez RG with EMGs, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom bridge pickup. My current (and first) amp is a Line 6 Spider III 75...

To spare making this post super-lengthy, I am looking at getting a new amp since I have a band that is gigging now. Luckily, my bassist has a Spider III 150 that I have been using for playing out, but now that things are getting rolling, I want to get myself a new toy of my own for rehearsals and gigging.

I've pretty much narrowed down to two amps of interest, which are either the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 Mkii combo, or the Orange TH30 head with a matching cab. Anybody have any input on either of these amps? I know the Valve has many awesome features and I really like Line 6, but I can't help but have high interest in the TH30, and I really like the tones I hear people getting from them on YouTube. Any info/input is useful and I appreciate any responses greatly!
Last edited by gamefreakcale at Jun 6, 2013,
The Line 6 was fun when I tried it but it was pretty heavy but had wheels! The Orange had very nice Cleans and lots of Gain and was easier to dial, if it's similar to the TH100. I believe both are MIC?

Try both, for several hours, in a sound room so you can crank them.

Welcome to UG!

Once you have the valve set up you can get some good sounds out of it. I didn't like the fact after 10 minutes I was still struggling with it. With the floor board it can be very versatile.

The orange is pure tube goodness. Very solid amp. If it were me I would go with the Orange but thats just me. I like simpler set-ups and not big on FX.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
If you're going for incredible tone in an incredibly simple setup, Orange all day e'rday.

Now, if you genuinely think you will benefit from the Line 6 Valve, you're willing to get the MIDI board, and you think you need multitudes of different tones, then perhaps you should consider the Spider Valve...

But honestly, I'd go for the Orange amp—any day of the week as long as it's not a Crush.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The SV is incredibly versatile, but pretty much REQUIRES the FBV Shortboard to be truly useful. Give the range of music you allude to, it's probably a better choice but you will need to be disciplined in getting it set the way you want it and then leaving it alone. You can spend a whole practice session tweaking settings and not accomplish a damn thing if you're not careful...(Trust me on this...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Orange, any day.

The Spider Valve is fun, but sometimes simplicity is better than too many parameters to tweak.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Honestly, I would say it would depend on what sound you are after. If you like playing a large variety then the Spider Valve might be better for you.

That being said, the Orange is an amazing amp, loads of gain and a great clean channel that when it breaks up sounds great. I, of course, am a little impartial to the Orange.

I would also say that people that get modeling amps are happy with them for a while, but not generally for a very long time. I had a Blackstar combo for a while and got bored after a while, it could do a lot, but nothing very well.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I would also say that people that get modeling amps are happy with them for a while, but not generally for a very long time. I had a Blackstar combo for a while and got bored after a while, it could do a lot, but nothing very well.

That's where I am. Modelling is cool at first. But then you realize you don't need most of it. Does anyone really need a Recto, a 5150, and a SLO? After awhile, your tones are set and just play instead of tweaking so much. Once you find things that sound good, you're going to keep using them. I'm still happy with it but I figured why use modelling when I can use the real thing?
I rarely recommend this amp but another one to look at is the Vypyr Tube.

I mean, if you want the flexibility then the Vypyr Tube will give you that and is pretty easy to dial in. Set and forget.

I have not played that particular Orange but I've loved most all Orange amps I've played and the TH30 gets a lot of love. True simplicity. The SV and I do not get along
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by JELIFISH19
That's where I am. Modelling is cool at first. But then you realize you don't need most of it. Does anyone really need a Recto, a 5150, and a SLO ? After awhile, your tones are set and just play instead of tweaking so much. Once you find things that sound good, you're going to keep using them. I'm still happy with it but I figured why use modelling when I can use the real thing?

Yes.

Cost.

Anything else I can help with?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Wow, thanks for all the input and warm welcomes to the UG forums! Much appreciated!

The more I read and hear about it, the more I like the thought of the TH30. Probably shoulda mentioned that I play mostly rhythm stuff in the band, so I am not too worried about effects the more I think about it. The Spider Valve might be overkill in that regard and as far as I know, the TH30 has an FX loop incase I would need to add any effects.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I rarely recommend this amp but another one to look at is the Vypyr Tube.

The TH30 is a wicked amp. It'll cover the tones you do no worries. I'd go with that.

Welcome to UG
The Orange does both things you want good, but it won't do them at the same time. Unless you get your classic rock tones from a pedal on the clean channel / crank it up so loud that the clean channel distorts.

If that is an issue, you might want to look into something else.
Go with the pros and discard modeling solid state or hybrid garbage that will rob your tone and make you switch eventually to tube anyway. Bug yes to the TH and don't even bother trying the Line6.

Why just these two amps? How about some used Marshalls, Mesa, etc?
For that price you might even swing a Mesa 5:50 or Mini rectifier that'll be great for what you need.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 9, 2013,
Quote by diabolical
Go with the pros and discard modeling solid state or hybrid garbage that will rob your tone and make you switch eventually to tube anyway. Bug yes to the TH and don't even bother trying the Line6.

Why just these two amps? How about some used Marshalls, Mesa, etc?
For that price you might even swing a Mesa 5:50 or Mini rectifier that'll be great for what you need.

Well, I thought about the Valve because I already have a Spider III and liked some of the features, and the Valve using the Spider engine with a tube amp intrigued me a bit. As for the TH30, I am hearing some sweet tones from it and I really want to look into that one a bit more.

However I am definitely open for other suggestions to check out.
PS: I forgot to mention that I technically already have a cab... It's an old beat up Marshall JCM-800 Lead 1960a. It pretty much needs completely redone cosmetically and I'm not entirely sure it works, so would that be worth fixing up to use at all?
Last edited by gamefreakcale at Jun 10, 2013,
PS: I forgot to mention that I technically already have a cab... It's an old beat up Marshall JCM-800 Lead 1960a. It pretty much needs completely redone cosmetically and I'm not entirely sure it works, so would that be worth fixing up to use at all?[/QUOTE

They are solid cabs. Tolex can get fixed. Speakers can be replaced and swapped. It's good wood and the worth keeping IMO.

- sometimes it's better value to get a used cab that you want then spend money on new speakers at new value.

All subjective.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Those Marshall cabs are the industry standard for a reason, so see what needs to be repaired and compare the bill with new. It really depends on how beat up it is but if it is just the tolex then worth keeping, I'd even let it stay ratty looking which is more fun.

Look into the Marshall DSL JCM2000 - those are awesome when paired with your cab.