I've been learning since 2008 and can play well enough to impress people who don't play guitar, but guitarists can see through all the crap. I haven't been accused of being a good guitarist to this day. I want me some of those "chops" people always talk about. I just want to know what people think on the subject. Is it one of those "either you got it or you don't" things, or a "practice makes perfect" thing?
why use chopsticks when you can use a fork that does the same job with much less effort?

Prehaps you should just quit now
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
quit before you even get your first gig

/ian

Anyway, for serious talk now: obviously not everyone is created equal when it comes to guitar ability. But anyone that has two hands can be great at guitar. It's just practice bro
I often feel that some people are born with something better. I've been playing for 3 and a half years and specifically trying to practice speed for the past year but can't even get past 16th notes at 120bpm. I hate myself. I'm going to blame other people being born with super fingers.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
I often feel that some people are born with something better. I've been playing for 3 and a half years and specifically trying to practice speed for the past year but can't even get past 16th notes at 120bpm. I hate myself. I'm going to blame other people being born with super fingers.

This. I just can't get any faster than that, it's really annoying the shit out of me.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by whywefight

Anyway, for serious talk now: obviously not everyone is created equal when it comes to guitar ability. But anyone that has two hands can be great at guitar. It's just practice bro

This is probably the best response I could hope to get. Works for me. I'll get back to practicing.
I messaged Ola Englund on Facebook for tips on how to get faster, and here is the full, unabridged message he sent me:

hey ryan,
the best tip I can give you is sit and just do the chromatic scale alternate picking exercise in front of the tv. That's what I did.

So there you go. That's all you need to do.

The exercise he means is going up the chromatic scale like this:

e--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
B----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
G------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
D---------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------
A-----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------
E-1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------

and moving up and down the fretboard, and also reversing it to play like this:

e-4-3-2-1-------------------------------------------------
B-----------4-3-2-1---------------------------------------
G---------------------4-3-2-1-----------------------------
D-------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------
A-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------
E---------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 6, 2013,
- Play/jam with other people.
- Play as many different styles as you can. No sense in being a one trick pony.
- Learn from everything everywhere and all music.

And of course, practice the guitar instead of practicing showing off.

But really though it's basically exactly what wwf said.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Actually as fun as it is, I would also prefer chops. I think you need them before you can proceed to mojo.
Chops? I've always seen that referred to the the physical aspect of playing guitar. There's nothing special about that. Anyone can learn the techniques SRV uses, but it's a different thing entirely to emulate his "mojo," as Masquirina aptly called it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by CoreysMonster
I messaged Ola Englund on Facebook for tips on how to get faster, and here is the full, unabridged message he sent me:

He really is a great guy, I remember having a conversation with him when he was still doing solely amp reviews/songs.

I think what these guys need to do is practice 'smarter' it's not just about playing chromatic scales with a metronome beside you. It has to do with making your movements as efficient as possible, for example, reducing how far your pick moves forward, keeping your fingers as close to the fretboard as possible.

If you continue to stick to the metronome, but keep your technique shit, you'll plateau at a certain speed and get frustrated.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
First, post this in the guitar techniques section, the pit is just for trolls.
Almost certainly you are doing some kind of mistake and that is what holds you back from improving, post a video of yourself playing and people will tell you what you need to correct.

About your question - I dont think you are born with superior guitar skills, however some people learn faster than others/are more motivated/put more time into it.
By the way do you play guitar to impress people and get chicks? Because if thats your goal then

e---5-8-12(tap)--

or, take the highest note on your guitar and pick as fast as you can.
Quote by tappooh

By the way do you play guitar to impress people and get chicks? Because if thats your goal then

e---5-8-12(tap)--

or, take the highest note on your guitar and pick as fast as you can.

A more surefire way is G D Em C (or whatever key) on an acoustic and sing over it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
it's definitely all about practise. sure, some people can pick up a guitar and progress faster than others but if you practise properly and keep at it and critically assess your playing then you can become a sick guitarist
It's fair to say that some people are more attune to playing guitar naturally than others, which makes learning guitar easier. But anyone can do anything with enough practice.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Ill answer every single complaint and question in this thread.

Practice more.

Ive read many interviews with the greats, and the one thing they all had in common? They practiced their asses off.

None were born with their ability; how would that even happen? Guitar playing is not a natural thing to find in the wild.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Quote by METAL_MAN135
None were born with their ability; how would that even happen? Guitar playing is not a natural thing to find in the wild.

Clearly you have not seen my friend's son play Sequoia Throne soon after he was born. It was almost as if the mother gave birth to the guitar at the same time.
as long as you're capable of fine motor movement (like 99% of the population probably are) and have the basic intelligence and discipline to structure your practice, then you can become very competent. Ear training and listening to a lot of music helps you improv, as does transcribing.

Sometimes I get the impression that people that rely on the talent perspective are either excusing their own ineptitude due to a lack of practice or effort in structuring it, or else to gain a sense of superiority to others.
Some people are naturally inclined toward music or whatever but chops come from playing and practicing. Practicing a lot.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
On a serious note. Chops don't just come from practice, chops come from good practice. There are definitely proper ways to practice that will develop your technique faster and better than just noodling around with you amp up loud. There are plenty of user lessons here on UG about that subject that are pretty darn good.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
On a serious note. Chops don't just come from practice, chops come from good practice. There are definitely proper ways to practice that will develop your technique faster and better than just noodling around with you amp up loud. There are plenty of user lessons here on UG about that subject that are pretty darn good.

Well said
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The EG side of me came out for a moment. I'm not a pit-monkey by origin.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

Absolutely!

Contrary to the saying, practice does NOT necessarily make perfect, PROPER practice makes perfect, the only thing practicing something wrong does is make you really good at being really bad...

But truth be told, lack of practice is generally a bigger obstacle than methods of practice.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The posts about technique; listen to them. Especially the one which mentioned plateauing. If you are picking really inefficiently, you are never going to breach certain speeds or rhythms. If you can't get your hands to move in perfect sync, your playing will always sound sloppy. No matter how tight your hands are individually, if they can't hit the notes at the same time, you won't sound good. That's essentially the foundation for why people say start off slow.
Learn the most efficient (stay away from people who say "correct") techniques and go from there.