Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

Could you please tell me whether you prefer to listen to your music on Vinyl or on MP3? And why?

I know this question has probably been asked a million times on here, but I'm doing research for a schoolpaper and need to generate my own results.

Thanks a lot

Max
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Can't put vinyl in your pocket.

V.0/320kbps mp3 or flac.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by HardRock369
If I could listen to vinyl everywhere, I would. But sadly, they never invented a car vinyl player. Probably something to do with he whole needle scratching thing, who knows.

And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
CD.

MP3s are shit. Vinyl is inconvenient.

CDs may be the past, but they're also the future.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Vinyl is outdated and the sound quality is absolutely overblown. Anyone who thinks otherwise is waxing nostalgic about a time when they weren't even alive.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Vinyl. It's a more pleasurable experience on the whole. From the cover art, the packaging and the sound, to the fact that it forces me to listen to a whole album more than mp3s. i feel i have to listen to it through as skipping is a nightmare.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Vinyl. It's a more pleasurable experience on the whole. From the cover art, the packaging and the sound, to the fact that it forces me to listen to a whole album more than mp3s. i feel i have to listen to it through as skipping is a nightmare.

Yeah, if there's one way I'd describe the format of my music dictating how I listen to my music, it'd be pleasurable
I like to listen to vinyl when I can (I don't own a record player) because putting it on and listening to the whole album is more of an experience to me than clicking play. Though, like already said, you can't really take records with you.

I'd prefer vinyl if I'm at home listening, but I do love the convenience and portability of mp3
Quote by willT08
Yeah, if there's one way I'd describe the format of my music dictating how I listen to my music, it'd be pleasurable

Your loss brah.

I love flicking through iTunes to find a rarity.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by cliff_em_all
I love flicking through iTunes to find a rarity.

No.

It is far better to browse through a shelf full of uniquely packaged CDs or vinyl. The pleasure comes from displaying and admiring your collection, not just looking at a load of files on your ipod/computer/etc.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

It is far better to browse through a shelf full of uniquely packaged CDs or vinyl. The pleasure comes from displaying and admiring your collection, not just looking at a load of files on your ipod/computer/etc.

Whatever turns you on I guess.

Anyway, I don't care much about the specific format, but I definitely have everything on the computer.

Also, spotify, not that I use it atm, but I would if I had money.
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

It is far better to browse through a shelf full of uniquely packaged CDs or vinyl.

Says who?

You'd have to have a real soppy boner for music
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

While I get where you're coming from (I myself buy CDs and vinyl records when available. Hi-res music I download because there isn't a physical medium for them), the convenience of having your music to hand is great. I've loaded all of my CDs onto a NAS drive using dbPoweramp and all ripped as FLAC. I use my iPad to navigate and play music, as well as control the preamp. It has all the album artwork and info on the app. It sounds fantastic, and is especially useful for when I have people round to choose music, or if I come back in after a tiring day, I can just turn on the app, and a few seconds later, there's my music.
I started paying a lot more attention to all my favorite albums when I bought them on vinyl and listened to them that way, I think it's turned me into a much more active listener
Quote by aCloudConnected
I started paying a lot more attention to all my favorite albums when I bought them on vinyl and listened to them that way, I think it's turned me into a much more active listener

Probably the "mojo" factor with vinyl records. Listen back to your favourite albums on CD with the same attention you afford to your records. A lot of people hear, rather than listen, to music, and i think you'll be surprised as to how much really is on those little plastic discs.
If I had a record player I would use it all the time. Vinyl is cool as all hell. I hate having my whole music collection be digital.

CD's get scratched to easily.

Also hate eBooks. All about the actual paper.

The only thing that I think is more convenient to have digitally stored is video games. Love Steam.
Quote by GaryBillington
CD.

MP3s are shit. Vinyl is inconvenient.

CDs may be the past, but they're also the future.

Being an Audiophile, my opinion is that Vinyl is better. the whole crackling thing in the background gives it a sort of character that you jsut dont get anywhere else, and if you listen to metal and rock like me the sound of the bands usually overpowers the crackling anyway. Also with Vinyl you are getting the pure original audio file. .mp3 files are compressed and the way the do that is to remove the high and low frequencies that they claim the human ear cant hear but sometimes, mostly in orchestral music, this actually removes parts of the song even if it is a few notes. The sound quality aswell is not just purely in the physical format either. It's also in the speakers, the wiring and the actualy player itself. If all those are poor quality then you'll think they sound shit when really it is just your equipment.

basically in my opinion I prefer Vynal because there is no missing notes and I feel that gives a better sound quality (In addition to everything else I just mentioned).
MP3s are so convenient, but I still do enjoy vinyls. I certainly listen more to MP3s than vinyls.
I prefer 196 kbps MP3s and up. I did a blind test, couldn't tell any difference in sound quality from that point up. My hard drive gets the benefits.
Quote by Xpl0r
Being an Audiophile, my opinion is that Vinyl is better. the whole crackling thing in the background gives it a sort of character that you jsut dont get anywhere else
What the hell is an audiophile? Like, you want to fuck audio.
Also with Vinyl you are getting the pure original audio file. .mp3 files are compressed and the way the do that is to remove the high and low frequencies that they claim the human ear cant hear but sometimes

You get the 'pure original audio file' with lossless audio files. I don't know why people always compare Vinyl to mp3
basically in my opinion I prefer Vynal because there is no missing notes and I feel that gives a better sound quality
Yeah this is non.sense.
I like 320kbps MP3's myself. Vinyls are nice and all, but much to inconvenient. I have a huge CD collection in addition to music I've downloaded over the years. It all gets backed up/Ripped, organized, and plugged into the Winamp library.

Then, all my CDs just sit on a series of bookshelves on display so that nobody takes them out and scratches them.

Thats the other thing about vinyl - even when you do all the proper maintenance to your Vinyl records (wiping them down, replacing your needle semi-frequently, etc.) they eventually wear out after so many plays. CDs and digital files have a potentially infinite lifespan.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Jun 6, 2013,
Gotta go with MP3 all for the convenience factor. I can take it to the gym, then plug it into my radio in my car, go home and change things on it in an instant. Also it's a lot cheaper than vinyl. The sound quality on vinyl is better, but the prices today just don't give me enough reason to deal with it.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

>Sarcasm

>Your head.
Quote by ZanasCross

Vinyl and Cassette at home, Digital (flac and mp3) on the go. Put me down as vinyl for teh indie credz :P

Honestly though, if you haven't before, go listen to a pink floyd album on vinyl, it's a wonderful experience.
Quote by cliff_em_all
>Sarcasm

>Your head.

Sarcasm doesn't work very well in text form without some form of indication.
Last edited by tukk04 at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by tukk04
Vinyl and Cassette at home, Digital (flac and mp3) on the go. Put me down as vinyl for teh indie credz :P

Honestly though, if you haven't before, go listen to a pink floyd album on vinyl, it's a wonderful experience.

Sarcasm doesn't work very well in text form without some form of indication.

2 posts back i speak about my preference of vinyl and the experience.
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by cliff_em_all
2 posts back i speak about my preference of vinyl and the experience.

Have to admit - I'd missed that your first post was the same person as the post I replied to so didn't spot the sarcasm in it
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
vinyl bcos omg so much charcther nd cracklz nd rerto! luk at me so rerto!

mp3bby
what a silly question
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Vinyl ofcourse. MP3's are easily obtained and lost, and really nothing special since it's easily copied, where vinyl remains unique because you can't simply copy it without the master disc.
Page 1 of 2