I've noticed that my picking hand just looks wrong compared to players I admire. I think I may be holding the pick wrong. I would consider myself an intermediate player and I've been having more and more difficulty lately improving speed and accuracy. (I just also switched from anchoring to floating so that certainly contributes). I was wondering if it would be possible to get a diagnosis of what my problem is here later if I were to link a short youtube video of myself noodling around? I don't have the $ currently for a guitar teacher . Thanks guys,

Mike.

Here's a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydE-wQOxfiY
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Jun 6, 2013,
Video, please.

In my experience, along with everyone else's experiences, it's generally a bad idea to compare your playing to someone else's. Everyone is going to play differently. There are, however, many common denominators that you should take into account:

Hold the pick with your thumb and index, using the pad of your thumb and the side of your index.

Pick from your wrist, and not your arm.

It's a generally accepted rule around here that you shouldn't anchor your picking hand. However, there are a lot of people who disagree. I agree with it and say that you should do it.

Economy of motion.

You can add your own little twist on these "rules," depending on what's most comfortable for you, but honestly, without seeing what you're talking about, we can't help much.
Nevermind, I found a video i did for this purpose a little while ago and uploaded it to the OP. thanks guys
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Jun 6, 2013,
I just recently switched to floating aswell although I don't think I'm quite intermediate yet as I have been playing a little under a year. So far I have had issues with picking too. You just gotta go slow and find what's comfortable for you. You can look at other guitarist to see how they do it but by no means compare yourself to professional guitarist who have been playing for a decade and decades.
Your thumb shouldn't move except to adjust your grip. In fact, choke up on the pick so you're holding it almost with the knuckle instead of the tip of the thumb.

All of your picking power should come from the wrist.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by cdgraves
Your thumb shouldn't move except to adjust your grip. In fact, choke up on the pick so you're holding it almost with the knuckle instead of the tip of the thumb.

All of your picking power should come from the wrist.

okay..so i should pull my index finger even further back? also, if you notice, it looks like i also rotate my wrist more than just alternate it up and down. this can't be good?
i feel like changing the way i hold the pick will take a long time to get used to, so hopefully it's worth it?
Quote by RyanMW2010
okay..so i should pull my index finger even further back? also, if you notice, it looks like i also rotate my wrist more than just alternate it up and down. this can't be good?
i feel like changing the way i hold the pick will take a long time to get used to, so hopefully it's worth it?

I mentioned economy of motion. Minimizing the amount of motions that you're using is included in that, and I've noticed that twisting my wrist gives me a surprising amount of tension in my arm. You might want to change this.

Honestly, I don't really see much that's "bad" in your technique. I think it's just a matter of practicing slowly more often, really. However, your wrist motions look fairly tense, so that might be something to work on.
I don't understand how people can play with a closed fist, or fingers curled in. My ring and pinky (knuckles) always drag on the strings and the high e feels like it's going to cut me.
I'm just not sure what it is I'm doing wrong, exactly. It' difficult to ascertain what the issue is from watching videos and then comparing with videos I've taken of myself. Maybe it's a lefty thing, I don't know, but I'm awful with visual comparison. I know i should probably get lessons for remedy but I'm a full time student and can't afford them right now. I'm just getting really frustrated. I appreciate all the help though.