So my last built was back in '07 so figured its time for an upgrade. I'm still rocking a p35 mobo with a quad Q6600 processor @ 3.0 and DDR2 6400 and a 4870x2

Anyway, I just bought an Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 for $196 on Amazon, but then realized with the new processors coming out I probably should wait so the price drops.

What are the thoughts on this? Also, I plan on continuing with my 4870x2 for a while because I'm not crazy into gaming.

Any advice on what to do about the processor? Should I buy now? Wait and get a new one? Wait and get the same after price drops (if it drops)?

And will the new processors be supported by 1155 mobo?

thanks.
My Gear:
-Fender American 1962 Stratocaster Reissue
-1984 Marshall JCM 800 2204
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
The new Haswell processors have a new socket, so an 1155 mobo won't work. The desktop versions aren't that different from the current ones from what I've read, so you'd probably be best off with the current Ivy Bridge processor if the prices drop.

But if you can get the 4570K and a compatible mobo for less or the same there's no reason not to get one.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I'd take the 1155 and switch it for a WK700 or a JL-7. The 4870x2 might be enough but a new console generation is coming along so you'll need to buy a new 5607 or two to make up for your 45 and 0815. You'll also need to adjust the flux compensator so you can harness some energy from sun spots.
Quote by Sampy
But if you can get the 4570K and a compatible mobo for less or the same there's no reason not to get one.

it was only $20-$40 more for the 4507k

the z87 motherboards are a little more expensive like $40-$60
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
The reviews I've been reading is that the new Haswell chips are pretty meh, so stick with the Ivy Bridge chip.

The Haswell chips are using a new socket as well (LGA 1150) so you can't change easily without getting a new mobo.

But yeah, throw 8 GB of RAM in there, get an SSD, and you should have a pretty decent system.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
The reviews I've been reading is that the new Haswell chips are pretty meh, so stick with the Ivy Bridge chip.

The Haswell chips are using a new socket as well (LGA 1150) so you can't change easily without getting a new mobo.

But yeah, throw 8 GB of RAM in there, get an SSD, and you should have a pretty decent system.

This. I've heard the main application of Haswell architecture is mobile platforms. Same output, less consumption. An SSD is probably the best investment for increasing your computer's speed at this point in the PC game.

Also, we have a computer thread for these sorts of questions.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178317&page=367&pp=40
Check out this site, and later their forums: http://www.kitguru.net/

It's a great website and the forums are full of plenty of highly knowledgeable and nice people. They actively take advice in and will get you the most for your cash; such as telling you what/not to buy and where to buy it from.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Get a solid state drive big enough for gaming? I usually run a 500 gig 7200 but was thinking about getting a smaller solid state for the OS and a few games I guess?
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by muffinduck01

Nah. Go with Haswell IMO. Not worth it to upgrade if you're on Ivy Bridge, but if you're doing a new build, there's no reason not to get Haswell. They're better than Ivy Bridge, just not significantly.
If price isn't a major issue then get the latest obviously.

However the 3570k isn't going to be obsolete anytime soon so it's up to whether you want to spend the extra money.

As a gamer I'd save the extra money i'd spend on a better graphics card or bigger/faster ssd.

I wasn't really sure whether to spend money on the ssd for my first build a couple of months ago but my god when I go on my pretty decent laptop it feels like im trying to load stuff with a calculator in comparison.

I can go from switched off to logged on and in a multiplayer game in about a minute with my ssd. Plus i'm always first into new maps so I can always pick the most popular classes/teams before anyone else gets in.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by Greenie_777
If price isn't a major issue then get the latest obviously.

However the 3570k isn't going to be obsolete anytime soon so it's up to whether you want to spend the extra money.

As a gamer I'd save the extra money i'd spend on a better graphics card or bigger/faster ssd.

I wasn't really sure whether to spend money on the ssd for my first build a couple of months ago but my god when I go on my pretty decent laptop it feels like im trying to load stuff with a calculator in comparison.

I can go from switched off to logged on and in a multiplayer game in about a minute with my ssd. Plus i'm always first into new maps so I can always pick the most popular classes/teams before anyone else gets in.

Yeah, I'm running the 3570k right now, and it works fine for gaming. But if you're building a new rig, get the better processor for an extra 20 bucks. Unless you find some closeout sale on Ivy Bridge CPUs and Z77 Mobos.
yea, just gotta find a cheap but still good enough z87 mobo though. any recs?
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
yea, just gotta find a cheap but still good enough z87 mobo though. any recs?

Haven't had a look at any of the Z87 mobos. You don't need to drop mad cash on a massive SSD. Use Intel Rapid Storage to set the SSD as a cache for a large 7200 RPM HDD. It'll hardly be a noticeable difference. You can get a 128 GB, use 60GB for the cache and the rest for storage on the SSD.

This looks pretty good for a low-cost mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981
Just make sure you get a dualschock control pad.

Them things are awesome.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Just make sure you get a dualschock control pad.

Them things are awesome.

???
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by TheChaz
Haven't had a look at any of the Z87 mobos. You don't need to drop mad cash on a massive SSD. Use Intel Rapid Storage to set the SSD as a cache for a large 7200 RPM HDD. It'll hardly be a noticeable difference. You can get a 128 GB, use 60GB for the cache and the rest for storage on the SSD.

This looks pretty good for a low-cost mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

So do my games need to be installed on the SSD to take advantage of speed?
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
So do my games need to be installed on the SSD to take advantage of speed?

If you were to use the SSD as a cache, after launching the game a couple of times, that game would be kept in the cache, and you would be seeing SSD like speeds on it. It's not quite the same performance, but damn close for the 300 dollar savings.

Windows will always be cached and whatever other files you're using frequently at the moment. 60GB of cache is the maximum space I believe, so you'll have about 40GB for caching aside from windows.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by TheChaz
If you were to use the SSD as a cache, after launching the game a couple of times, that game would be kept in the cache, and you would be seeing SSD like speeds on it. It's not quite the same performance, but damn close for the 300 dollar savings.

Windows will always be cached and whatever other files you're using frequently at the moment. 60GB of cache is the maximum space I believe, so you'll have about 40GB for caching aside from windows.

So how would I set that up? Install a fresh install of windows on the SSD that connect the 500 gig 7200rpm drive up?
My Gear:
-Ibanez Wh-10 Original
-Boss DS-2 Distortion
-Boss CE-5 Chorus