I just bought a Les Paul, ran the serial to verify it was a true Gibson, and it's a 94, but that's all I can find. It resembles a Les Paul Special almost EXACTLY, except it has the input jack on the face, buy the volume/tone knobs, not of the side... I'm pretty stumped as to what this model is, if anyone could help me pinpoint exactly what this LP model is I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

serial number: 94209263

Sorry the pictures aren't that great. Yay for dumb smartphones lol
Not sure what you have there. Never seen one with the jack on the front.

A couple of issues that I am seeing are the 3 screw truss rod cover. All the Gibson ones that I have seen have 2 screws. Secondly I am questioning the serial #. My Les Paul is a genuine 1993 and the serial # starts with a 3 then a space and then 4 more #s I can't see them changing a serial # that drastically one year later.

This is just what I am seeing so don't take it as gospel. It may be some weird run that they did for a few years or before they started the Baldwin Line of student entry level units.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
That my son is a Gibsun. A Fake. Sorry.
Moving on.....
That's a fake. The neck pup position is waaaaay off as is the TRC, bridge and the serial.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 6, 2013,
i hate to say it, but i'm very close to 100% sure that this guitar is not a genuine gibson.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Thanks for the replies so far people!

If it's not a true Gibson I'm not that hurt, I only paid $120 for it with a hard shell case, and I bought it with the intentions of changing most everything about it.

I just want to know what it really is lol

I checked the serial, it matches up, and both the serial number and 'Gibson' name are not just a decal, they're stamped or dyed or whatever the technical term is for it...

Idk, hopefully we can figure out what this thing is...
Quote by scketch

If it's not a true Gibson I'm not that hurt, I only paid $120 for it with a hard shell case, and I bought it with the intentions of changing most everything about it.

I checked the serial, it matches up, and both the serial number and 'Gibson' name are not just a decal, they're stamped or dyed or whatever the technical term is for it...

Honestly, don't let that get your hopes up. That's really easy to fake.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly, don't let that get your hopes up. That's really easy to fake.

If I can't say I have a Les Paul, then that's fine, I'm going to be building this thing up regardless. I just want to know what it is I have. Even if it's a fake, I want to know what kind of fake, whether that be Joe Bob made it himself in his garage or a "such and such" Les Paul style ya know.
Quote by scketch
If I can't say I have a Les Paul, then that's fine, I'm going to be building this thing up regardless. I just want to know what it is I have. Even if it's a fake, I want to know what kind of fake, whether that be Joe Bob made it himself in his garage or a "such and such" Les Paul style ya know.

Yeah that's fine. I understand that you payed basically nothing for it and was planning on modding it anyway.

It'll be hard to identify it, but maybe if you can take more pictures of it we can help. If you can get pictures of the inside of your cavities and maybe some close ups of the entire guitar it'll be easier.

Close ups of the bridge and the back of the guitar and neck joint too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What's the back look like?

In other news, the tuners don't look like anything I can recall being used by Gibson, the inlays are wrong, that's neither a Gibson NOR any other manufacturer's Les Paul case, etc.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 6, 2013,
Yea, I'll get more pictures once I'm off work, It may be later this evening though...

dspellman: I thought the inlays where off as well, but then I found Gibson LP Specials that had the dot inlays as well. That's what I initially thought this was, but the jack position was the only thing off about it, and that it's a bolt on neck, not a set neck. I can't find any other manufacturers that make one like this either.
Quote by scketch
Yea, I'll get more pictures once I'm off work, It may be later this evening though...

dspellman: I thought the inlays where off as well, but then I found Gibson LP Specials that had the dot inlays as well. That's what I initially thought this was, but the jack position was the only thing off about it, and that it's a bolt on neck, not a set neck. I can't find any other manufacturers that make one like this either.

The issue isn't dot inlays; it's the fact that the three high ones are missing.
Seems to me that there may have been a bolt neck or two back in the archives somewhere for Gibson, but I don't remember what at the moment. But I wouldn't hold out any hope for this being a Gibson.
Ask first, pay later.

Pay first, ask later.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by scketch

the serial number on a genuine gibson will more than likely be pressed into the back of the headstock making an indent in the wood - the way the serial number is stamped on the back doesn't match the way gibson do it, and also there's an issue with the serial number:

with pretty much all gibson serial numbers since 1977 the first and fifth digits represent the year, and the second, third and fourth digits represent the day of the year, and the rest of them are just a production number (used to be 3 digits, more recently there have been 4).

so your first 5 digits are 94209 - so that would be the year 1999. it's the 420 bit that isn't valid, because there aren't 420 days in a year.

general rule of thumb when buying guitars - if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. $120 for a gibson just isn't realistic.
Rig Winter 2017:

its not all bad , you don't have much money in it and some people will want it .....

I'm trying to sell a chinese LP copy right now , the last four people interested in it wanted to know if it said Gibson on the headstock , when I replied it says DDH they never give a call back , regardless of my guitar being a nice playing/sounding LP copy didn't mean anything , they were more interested in it saying Gibson than wether it played and sounded nice ..... so based on that you do have something if you don't want to keep , some people want them to say Gibson and don't care if its a POS copy or not as long as it says Gibson on the headstock ... go figure ?
Sorry I haven't been able to get anymore pictures posted tonight, I never went and picked it up from the guy that's workin on it for me.

Mephaphil - Yea, I only paid $120 w/hard case. A friend of mine had it in his closet since he was little, and he barely even plays bass, he didn't know anything about it except his uncle gave it to him. He's close enough to me I know that's the truth.

ExDementia - Exactly, and $120 to be exact lol. I'm still happy with the purchase, it may not be a Les Paul, but it's still going to be a great guitar. It already sounds good where it's at, so it'll just get better

Blompcube - I'm not arguing that it's stamped wrong, but whoever stamped it, copied the number right I believe. On the Gibson website serial checker it panned out. In 94 they put the year in the first two digit spots, now the rest of decyfering the serial I didn't quite understand though.

Fumble fingers - Yea, some people just want something because of the name, regardless of if it's actually a good guitar or not. I think I'm going to have fun building and playing this guitar
For $120 if you are happy with it who cares. You now have a guitar you can bash the crap out of.

Forget the name and enjoy it man.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
For $120 if you are happy with it who cares. You now have a guitar you can bash the crap out of.

Forget the name and enjoy it man.

Yea most definitely man! I still just want to know what the heck it is... it bugs me lol

Should I just call it quits though, since I, nor anyone else, can pinpoint a maker and just say it's someones one off custom fake... which in turn, shall become a Scketch custom! lol
I would definitely get rid of the Gibsun logo and make your own.

False advertising is the worst,
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A blatent fake. I'm not very experienced in such verification, but this one screams fake with pics alone. $120.....smell test.
Last edited by RockAddict311 at Jun 7, 2013,
Quote by scketch
Blompcube - I'm not arguing that it's stamped wrong, but whoever stamped it, copied the number right I believe. On the Gibson website serial checker it panned out. In 94 they put the year in the first two digit spots, now the rest of decyfering the serial I didn't quite understand though.

oh yes, i just looked into it and you are right about that. i had no idea gibson changed it in 1994 for one year, and probably wouldn't have believed it until i figured out it was their 100th year
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Offworld92
I would definitely get rid of the Gibsun logo and make your own.

False advertising is the worst,

Yea, I think I'm going to do something like that. I've already started redesigning it cosmetically and with what parts I'm going to replace on it. Once I get more done, I'll start a new thread with my designs, and with the build process